Windows Server 2012 - anyone else got issues ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi

I'm having weird trouble getting Sonos to work with my 2012 server and I'm wondering if anyone has it working ok.

Using the desktop app I can try add a 'music' share to the sonos library. Sometime I get an 1001/1002 error and sometime its appears to work fine. If I then try play anything the first track will play for no more than 30 seconds before dropping off for a while. If left sonos will sometime later (20s - 60s) start playing half way through the 3rd track for approx 10 seconds before stopping.

Im reasonably sure it's a server issue as Radio/spotify works 100% via sonos.

All the media I have on this server is accessible using other players ( xbmc,ipad etc ) without issue. I've made sure there is no firewall running on the server and all shares have full access to 'everyone'.

I know windows 2012 server introduced SMB v3 to the mix and that where I've been looking - disabling SMB 2/3 on the server had no effect.

I've completely restarted everything in logical order and am 100% ( ok 99.999%) confident there are no IP conflicts.

I have spent 90 mins with level one support but that wasnt the best experience (I understand they need to ensure the basics are covered) so thought I'd ask here if anyone has 2012 server working ok with sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

If your library files are lossless the symptoms suggest wireless bandwidth problems. Spotify uses 320kbps, radio anything up to 320k, but lossless compressed requires about 850k.

Have you tried changing Sonos wireless channels?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have yes - I'd even turned off all my other Wifi stuff in the house to remove those from the equation and verified using inSSIDer app that there were no others on the same channel.

Not lossless either - to save refresh time while testing I'd created a temp share with a single album in it - it only 320kbps MP3's in there yet same problem.
If does sound like network issues of some kind. Do all the files index successfully? If so there shouldn't be access problems.

It might be worth hard-wiring the Windows box directly to a Sonos Player and trying that. That will at least eliminate everything except Sonos and Windows Server.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The files appear to index ok - once finished I can view them etc.
I can browse the directories under folders in the library.

I'm not convinced its interference as I have no issues if I share a dir on a win7 PC which is on the same switch as the server and index files there.

I only have the problems when using the 2012 server

Same network , same infrastructure and same wireless - everything works ok with the media on anything but the server ( and then the only system I've problems with is sonos, the media is accesable )
Sonos is just using SMB to pull the files, whether it's indexing them or playing them.

Maybe something is fouling up on a buffer refill attempt. The SMB logs on the Windows box and the anacapa.trace logs on the Sonos Players would be the places I'd look. Sonos Support should have studied the latter as part of their diagnostic analysis though.
nmayling,

Are you grouping rooms? Have you checked network PING times?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In that actual case the rooms were grouped ( 2 X ZP100 ) but I've had the issue with all my single zones ( ie happens individually on play3 , S5 and 3 x ZP100's )

a ping to the ZP from this PC ?

Pinging 192.168.1.75 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.75: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.75: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.75: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.75: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Thanks to all for the help BTW 🙂
Is the server connected wirelessly to your network? If not, what devices does traffic pass through to get from your server to a wired Sonos device?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The server is hard wired to an unmanaged gigabit switch ( TENDA TEG1008 )
The sonos bridge is also wired to the same switch with all sonos wireless after that.

I do have other clients ( ie HTPC's, Alarm system, IP Camera, Printer, DSL router and 2 wireless access points ) on the network but had physically removed them (and powered down the wireless) to leave just the server and bridge with the same results.
Userlevel 2
I can't help with your issue but I can confirm this combination works. Mine is very similar to yours: HP N40L Microserver running Windows Server 2012 Standard, configured as a domain controller and file server. Wired via a Netgear Gigabit switch to the first zone player and wireless thereafter.

I've had all sorts of fun and games with my system since the last firmware update, but the basic functionality of scanning shares and playing music has worked without me having to make any changes to the server configuration. Shares are added to the Sonos library using domain\administrator account and, prior to me introducing the domain, as the local server administrator account. Both worked.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but your setup can be made to work. If there are some settings/permissions you'd like me to report so you can compare/contrast, drop me a note.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Have you enabled the Media Sharing option in Windows Server 2012?

It may be worth trying this and then selecting the Windows Media Server to try and stream MP3 files to see if you get the same issue. This would rule out SMB as the problem if you experience the same issue.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windowsserver2012/windows-server-2012-essentials-tip-enable-configure-media-sharing-144377
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks guys,

I took everything back to basics - server with cable direct to each individual ZP one at a time etc as it was the only thing I'd skipped on doing.

I have a working system up to a point - I think one ZP100 is on its last legs as the remaining 4 zones work without issue but problem appears when using this single zone. I'm currently working with support trying to identify the problem with this one but I think its dead. The Zone stops playing after a short while and hangs before disappearing altogether - mude button 'test' fails and a factory reset ( sonos support requested ) has had no effect.

I may be in the market for replacement unit.

I'm going to rebuild the server OS as I've tried so many reg settings etc I'd rather have a clean install now but I'm happy that sonos works perfectly with Server 2012.

Have you enabled the Media Sharing option in Windows Server 2012?

Hi timjn - unfortunatly I've got server standard and media streming isnt an option, its essentials only.
I understand its even removed if you do an in place upgrade.

Thanks to all for their help and advice.
I think one ZP100 is on its last legs as the remaining 4 zones work without issue but problem appears when using this single zone. I'm currently working with support trying to identify the problem with this one but I think its dead. The Zone stops playing after a short while and hangs before disappearing altogether - mude button 'test' fails and a factory reset ( sonos support requested ) has had no effect.

I have a ZP100 that does the same thing -- in fact its behavior was the reason I found and joined this forum. Sometimes it'll play for hours, sometimes a few minutes, but when it goes into a coma, only a restart will recover it. It's been relegated to garage duty and a new Connect:Amp sits in its former place.
I have a Server 2012 box here at the house and have had all kinds of ridiculous problems with the Sonos system attaching to it Trying to add media library on my Win10 box by pointing it at my standard music share on the server... no joy.

- Tried enabling network sharing and discovery on both Win10 and 2012 boxes
- Ensured all services for ^ were started and running
- Tried installing the sonos client ON the server and pointing to either the share OR directly to the folder/drive... the latter spun for a bit and acted like it was going to work, but no joy
- Ultimately I wound up copying my entire music directory down to my Win10 box and just adding it from the client there. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

This totally strikes me as one of those cases where a product company didn't bother talking to systems people when designing their product and software. GRANTED there probably are not a TON of people who have Sonos systems that are running server instances in their house that they want to connect to... even doctor's offices and the like are probably more likely to be using a service like Spotify... so maybe that's what's going on here, but jeez... come on guys. It can't be THAT uncommon, and PART of the problem is clearly that you're doing something a little weird with network sharing and discovery... and every OTHER thing uses windows shares fine without all that nonsense.