Windows Media Player Search Problem

• 10 September 2005
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Just got a Sonos and Buffalo linkstation, but when we add files to the library in Windows Media Player, it is taking over and hour to for it to search the Buffalo, even when we do it on fast search. We have 2379 files should it take this long, or have we done something wrong?

4 replies

Badge +3
Just got a Sonos and Buffalo linkstation, but when we add files to the library in Windows Media Player, it is taking over and hour to for it to search the Buffalo, even when we do it on fast search. We have 2379 files should it take this long, or have we done something wrong?

Hello chalfontcrew,

I don't think that Windows Media Player should take that long to index 2379 tracks. Is the behavior the same if you try it with another software such as Tag and Rename or iTunes?
I'm just speculating because I don't use Windows Media Player. This is just a short list of oddities that can bite from time to time.

1: Not enough RAM in the system. This will cause excess swapping to the system's hard drive.

2: Too many temporary files. Most well behaved Windows programs will use the C:\Windows\Temp directory to create temporary files. They will pick not likely to exist file names of the form ~PROG0001.tmp, ~PROG0002.tmp, etc. There is a subtile trap with this scheme if the program ends and doesn't clean-up it's mess. (possibly due to a system or program crash) The next time the program runs, it will attempt to start the temporary files with ~PRO0001.tmp, but since this file already exists, the program will attempt to create 0002, 0003, etc. If the TEMP directory is littered with a few thousand of these junk files, the poor program will need to burn through a few thousand tries every time it needs to create a temporary file.

3: Very long file names may fluster Media Player's sort or search routine.

4: A Media Player configuration option or music file format issue forces Media Player to read all of each music file, not just the tags.
Userlevel 2
In tools options library of media player, we found that we had switched on the box so monitor sound leveling so we switched that off and now it will search the computer for added files and complete the task of adding 2800 songs in approx 5 mins, does that sound like the correct time now.

[ ... ]
adding 2800 songs in approx 5 mins, does that sound like the correct time now.

That's about nine songs a second.

While not unreasonable, depending on the speed of your computer, it does seem slow for a simple indexing operation.

Keep in mind that, other than accidently clicking on something that causes it to launch and play something, I don't use Windows Media Player.