Answered

Windows Desktop Controller not working after Windows Update

Badge +2
Last night windows did a long update and everything went ok, or so I thought. Now the desktop controller doesn't work, the splash screen appears and just sits there. I've uninstalled, repaired, etc, nothing seems to work.
icon

Best answer by kamau 25 May 2018, 11:52

Hmm.. I seem to have fixed it. I think the issue has something to do with the last monitor Sonos was on. When windows rebooted it could not detect 2 of my monitors, I fixed that but didn't reboot. So since I had just rebooted, didn't think another reboot would fix sonos so just kept troubleshooting.

Until I remembered that many apps were misbehaving before the monitors issue was fixed. Rebooting windows again fixed it. When in doubt, Turn it Off, then On again! 😃
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Just a possibility. I have had Windows updates that have reset my home network from Private to Public, thus turning off various sharing options. Might be worth.checking
Badge +2
Network settings remain Private, no issues there.
Odd. Since you can't get in to submit a diagnostic, I think I'd recommend that you call Sonos to discuss it.
Try turning SMB V1 on. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check or uncheck the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" It is an outdated protocol that Sonos insists in its infinite and unquestionable wisdom to keep using. Windows 10 update probably disabled it.
Even if SMBv1 was turned off, the application should still start. It just wouldn't be able to access any music on the HD.
Badge +2
SMB is already on. I'm looking at the process using procmon and there's nothing crazy going on. It's just sittting there.

https://i.imgur.com/U69cikj.png

Badge +2
Hmm.. I seem to have fixed it. I think the issue has something to do with the last monitor Sonos was on. When windows rebooted it could not detect 2 of my monitors, I fixed that but didn't reboot. So since I had just rebooted, didn't think another reboot would fix sonos so just kept troubleshooting.

Until I remembered that many apps were misbehaving before the monitors issue was fixed. Rebooting windows again fixed it. When in doubt, Turn it Off, then On again! 😃
Rebooting windows again fixed it. When in doubt, Turn it Off, then On again! :DMany an IT career has been built on that advice. Glad it's working.