• 7 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Setup: 
Windows 11
RTX 3090
Sonos Arc
Philips OLED856 

Issue
After a certain period of time (15 minutes to an hour), the regular sound cuts out, and the only sound output from my Sonos arc is a very loud static sound.
This only happens when I have Dolby Atmos is enabled in the windows sound configuration (when using stereo mode, this hasn't occurred). 
I've tried switching the HDMI cables from the PC to TV, and this did not help (in one case, when I used DVI to HDMI, it made it worse, and the only sound was the aforementioned static).
I am not sure where the issue is coming from (i.e. TV, GPU, etc.), which makes debugging much harder, so I wondered if anyone has experienced this. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 March 2022, 09:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hhargreaves 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I believe this generally happens when the audio device gets an interruption to it’s encoded feed, and has to wait till the next opportunity (frame) to begin decoding again. Until then, it interprets (incorrectly) the encoded stream as unencoded, and what you hear is static nonsense,

Please unplug your TV from power for a minute or two, then plug back in and test.

If that doesn’t help, I suggest reseating your HDMI cables to ensure they have good connections.

I hope this helps.