Answered

Windows 10 Sonos controller app has stopped working

• 2 November 2017
  • 23 replies

Hey all, I have been using Sonos since 2012 without a single problem until now, including on the very same computer.

Here's something weird:

I am able to install the app controller. Launching immediately after installation works fine and I am able to install my speaker, install services, play music with no problem. When I close the app and try to re-open it again, I get the message that the "Sonos Desktop Controller has stopped working' (cf. image attached) and it it impossible to launch it. Unless I uninstall it, re-install it, and never close it!

Anybody has had a similar experience? I'm happy to give more details if needed.

A bit of background:
I have recently moved houses, changing both my wifi setup and buying new Sonos speakers, while my existing Sonos speakers have not yet arrived to my house. So I thought I'd reset my controller and setup a new Sonos system for my new speakers (starting with my Sonos 5 gen.2). The controller I had on my computer (Windows 10 x64) kept crashing so I uninstalled it and reinstalled a new one from the Sonos website. I figured this was because of probable software updates.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 January 2018, 21:35

We've identified an issue that comes up for some people that have updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (Fall Creators) where the Sonos desktop controller crashes on launch. This issue only applies to systems that also have Webroot installed.

If you want to check to see if you're affected, open the Sonos controller to get the crash. Then, go to the search bar, type Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application... click on the most recent Error message and you will find under Fault Module Name that sclib.csharp.DLL is listed.

This issue seems to be with some versions of the Webroot security software, and a patch is already in their latest updates. You can try updating your Webroot application to get this fix. If that doesn't do the trick, you'll want to uninstall Webroot and re-install it from the latest version of the software available. For more details about this issue, you can take a look at their community post here.

Once that's done, go ahead and re-launch Sonos, you should be all set.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

I am getting same error message since updating the Sonos Desktop Windows app.
Have uninstalled and on trying to reinstall getting crashes without completing install.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, if you're able to, I'd suggest going to \AppData\Local\Sonos,_Inc on your computer and deleting that folder after you un-install. Then try installing it again.

Another thing to check is that you don't have any firewall or antivirus software blocking Sonos. Finally, make sure that any VPN software is off too.
i was unable to see that location, so previous uninstall had removed it. Still no success.
Hey Ryan, thanks for the response. It didn't work for me. For Dewy and others: in Windows 10, make sure hidden files & folders are visible (google how to do that if needed). The folder Sonos,_Inc is in C:\ProgramData, which is a hidden folder by default.

While I tried experimenting with firewalls and processes, I noticed something even stranger: when I restart, I am able to open the controller immediately upon restart. If I wait for a few seconds after Windows start, I am no longer able to open it without it crashing. That made me think it might be interference with an app or process. I tried closing processes to identify which one but I was not successful. Any idea, similar experience or an idea of a diagnostic to see exactly what's happening would be great. For info, a few days ago I installed the Windows 10 1709 update which was quite substantial, but I am not able for sure to say if that's it as I hadn't used Sonos before I updated on this setup. Any help would be welcome, this is rather depressing...
Similar problem. Applied an update to app on Windows 10 64-bit and now it crashed every time I try to launch. No point in playing with registration files and folders. Sonos needs to just fix. Very repeatable.
I was able to replicate the problem on another computer and I'm pretty sure it's all in the Windows 10 x64 1709 update released a few days ago. The ball's in your camp Sonos, time for a software update!
Sonos doesn't seem too bothered about this and I'm surprised I'm not seeing more reports of this error. I'm confirming that by rolling back out of the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709", my Sonos controller works fine again on my Windows 10 x64 HP laptop.
I CANT EVEN CONNECT TO SONOS SINCE WINDOWS 10 UPDATE. THERE ARE OTHER SIMILAR THREADS RE THIS; DONT SEE SONOS DOING MUCH ABOUT IT, MOE CONCERNED WITH SECRET SQUIRREL BETA TESTING FOR THEIR "NEXT BIG EXPERIENCE" - SORT IT OUT!! CANT EXPERIENCE HEE-HAW JUST NOW!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm confirming that by rolling back out of the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709", my Sonos controller works fine again on my Windows 10 x64 HP laptop.
That's an odd one, I wonder if there's some changes to the network adapter or connection profiles that's causign the issue.

If you're still having this issue, can you give us a call on our support line? Let's take a look at this live with a technician to sort out what's going on. If there's a larger scale issue, we'd like to get ahead of it, there hasn't been a trend with that update noticed as of yet.
Hi Ryan,

I wonder if there's some changes to the network adapter or connection profiles that's causign the issue.

It seems to me this is a software issue. I checked network and firewall parameters when the issue was happening and didn't see anything odd.

If you're still having this issue, can you give us a call on our support line? Let's take a look at this live with a technician to sort out what's going on. If there's a larger scale issue, we'd like to get ahead of it, there hasn't been a trend with that update noticed as of yet.

The issue hasn't happened again after I rolled back that update so at the moment I'm ok. I can't call the support line because at the moment I live in Africa but I'm happy exchanging by email if that helps. I'm also surprised I haven't seen more reports about it.
Badge
FWIW..I had a problem also on my Windows 10 laptop, but finally a pop up appeared saying my Windows firewall was blocking the program. I allowed it and it works fine now. Knowing this, I would have looked in the firewall settings first thing
FWIW..I had a problem also on my Windows 10 laptop, but finally a pop up appeared saying my Windows firewall was blocking the program. I allowed it and it works fine now. Knowing this, I would have looked in the firewall settings first thing
So did I, that's not it. If only it were that simple.
Hey guys, if you're able to, I'd suggest going to \AppData\Local\Sonos,_Inc on your computer and deleting that folder after you un-install. Then try installing it again.

Another thing to check is that you don't have any firewall or antivirus software blocking Sonos. Finally, make sure that any VPN software is off too.
I had a similar problem on my PC after installing Windows Creators Update. Sonos wouldn't update and wouldn't open on the desktop. I noticed an alert popping up lower right on my display, but it disappeared before I could read it. Anyway, there is a NEW feature in Windows Defender in this update that attempts to stop Ransomware (see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/23/fyi_windows_10_ransomware_protection/ ). After I switched that off, the install went fine.
there is a NEW feature in Windows Defender in this update that attempts to stop Ransomware (see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/23/fyi_windows_10_ransomware_protection/ ). After I switched that off, the install went fine.
I re-installed the Windows Creators Update to check out this workout out and things got even weirder: the Sonos controller now works fine right away without any tweeks on any settings. The first time I installed the update I had no problems or incomplete installation so for the love of me I cannot figure out why the different results. Anyway, things are ok now with my controller. If someone ever has the same issue, try rolling back the update and then re-installing it to see if this resolves it, not that it makes any sense that it would...
I have two computers here, different manufacturers that both got the windows 10 creator update and now have problems with the sonos controller. If you uninstall and then delete the program files, programdata and appdata related to sonos it will install and come up. But after the first time, if you close the controller and try to go back in it will crash. There is definitely a problem with windows 10 creator. SONOS YOU NEED TO ADDRESS THIS STRAIGHT AWAY.
Similar error to OP here but the Sonos Controller just stopped working, nothing has been moved etc. Windows 10 "Fall" Creators Update ran a couple of days ago and the Sonos Controller no longer recognises that Sonos exists on desktop and laptop. Uninstalling/reinstalling Sonos makes no difference. I don't really want to mess with the PC or laptop just to fix this one app but it's frustrating nonetheless. Still works fine via iphone and Android controllers.
Badge
Plus 1, same issue. Sonos please fix...100% repeatable issue.
Happens to me also. Please fix asap...
Still happening 8.2.2. Fix this already
I was getting this same error on Windows 10 1709. This is how I fixed:
Disabled Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and WebRoot Anti-Virus
Uninstalled Sonos. Rebooted. Renamed Sonos.old in User's appdata folder, in the program files folder, and the programdata folder.

(c:\users\user\appdata\sonos)
(c:\program files (x86)\sonos)
(c:\programdata\Sonos,_Inc)

Rebooted. Installed Sonos 8.1 (Run as administrator). Connected to existing Sonos. Prompted to update. Updated Controller and Device. Working.

Note:
When I first installed 8.2.2 and opened, it would work fine. As soon as I closed and reopened it would prompt the error. If this same thing happens to you and you don't have an older version for Sonos, try updating the device when sonos opens for the first time after a fresh install.
Sonos > Manage > Check for Software Updates...

If you cannot get Sonos to open at all on your computer, try updating the Sonos device from your phone and reinstall sonos again on your computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We've identified an issue that comes up for some people that have updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (Fall Creators) where the Sonos desktop controller crashes on launch. This issue only applies to systems that also have Webroot installed.

If you want to check to see if you're affected, open the Sonos controller to get the crash. Then, go to the search bar, type Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application... click on the most recent Error message and you will find under Fault Module Name that sclib.csharp.DLL is listed.

This issue seems to be with some versions of the Webroot security software, and a patch is already in their latest updates. You can try updating your Webroot application to get this fix. If that doesn't do the trick, you'll want to uninstall Webroot and re-install it from the latest version of the software available. For more details about this issue, you can take a look at their community post here.

Once that's done, go ahead and re-launch Sonos, you should be all set.
Here is how to Fix and Troubleshoot Windows 10 search problems
1:- Press the “Windows Key+R” to open the Run dialog box. Type “Services.msc” in the command box and Press Enter to open the Services Page.
2:- Scroll the page and check for the Name “Windows Search”.
3:- Now, Double click on “Windows Search”. The other columns in the Windows search display its Description, Status, Startup Type etc.
Source:- https://merabheja.com/fix-windows-10-search-problems/