Question

Will a Boost extend range for ConnectAmp?

• 28 May 2019
  • 6 replies

Where to begin....having a couple connectivity issues. And, our house has concrete walls. The ConnectAmp is in a closet in a metal outbuilding about 20' from the main house.

Currently, there's a Boost connected to the router. The ConnectAmp in the metal outbuilding's closet won't stay connected for very long. Music will stop and it will disappear from the Rooms list on the controller.

Will a Boost wired to the ConnectAmp increase its range? If the Boost gets moved out there a Play 5 would be wired to the router instead.

6 replies

240Ranch,

You might possibly be better off leaving things as they are, running on SonosNet ...and instead perhaps put a 'man in the middle' speaker, so that the ‘Connect’ can perhaps get a better connection to the new mid-way speaker instead of your Boost. That has to be worth a try and it depends on the environment conditions, as to whether it may work, or not.

Also ensure you have reset/removed your WiFi credentials in “Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup” of the Sonos App.

Make sure your SonosNet channel in Advanced Settings is least-used in the local area and at least 5 channels away from your main routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel.

Hope that resolves your issue.
Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.

WiFi credentials are now reset.
WiFi channel for 2.4ghz set to optimal (11). Thanks iMac scan tool.
SonosNet channel was also 11 so it's been changed to 1.

The 'man in the middle' is a challenge. The router is only 10 or so feet from the exterior wall. On the other side of the wall the Connect Amp is in the nearest protected location about another 10' away. If the above changes don't help I suppose a Play1 could go on the sill of a window between the router and ConnectAmp. I'll first move the Play5 there to test.

Thanks, again!
Testing is always a great thing before spending money. You are wise, grasshopper.
Where to begin....having a couple connectivity issues. And, our house has concrete walls. The ConnectAmp is in a closet in a metal outbuilding about 20' from the main house.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Re: Faraday Cage

Don't I know it. Love the house but there are a few drawbacks. If a Boost extended the ConnectAmp's range one could be mounted on the exterior wall of the metal building. I should just try it to see what happens.

Regardless, a Play5 on the window sill nearest the outbuilding is working so far. The speakers connected to that amp haven't dropped again, yet.

My WiFi signal outside still stinks. Can't control songs (Unable to Play Selected Item) and lose connection to Sonos (Unable to Connect to Sonos)...going from memory on these error messages....when at the pool.

Anyone have advice there?....Orbi looks interesting. I understand range extenders can cause issues with Sonos?
Neither the BOOST or CONNECT:AMP are not made to be mounted in an outside environment, i.e. they're not rated for being wet/damp etc. Plus the whole power cord issue.

However, Sonos can co-exist with most Mesh network devices, as long as you're using SonosNet for the Sonos system, and it's wired to the "root" hub device of the mesh network. You'd want to be sure that the two networks aren't using the same channel, of course.