Question

WiFi won't connect

I have a Sonos One and Sonos Beam.  Both products had been working great over my wifi for the last 6 months or so. About 3 weeks ago the products stopped appearing in my Sonos App, and they no longer played music.  I had not made any changes to my modem, router or password.  After plugging my Sonos One into the router by ethernet cable it reappeared in the app and played music again.  After unplugging the ethernet cable, it won’t reconnect by wifi.  I can also get my beam to show up in the app by plugging into the router with an ethernet cable, same problem when I disconnect.  I’ve tried doing a factory reset on both products, still same issue.  When I try to set up the product on wifi and it asks me for my network password, I put in the password and it gives me a Password incorrect screen.  I know that the password I’m entering IS correct, I’ve triple checked it 9-10 times doing this step again and again, and I’m using the same password that works just fine on over 10 other devices in my house.  I’m kind of baffled at this point.  I called up customer care and was in the middle of working with a rep when our call got disconnected right at the step where I was entering my wifi password and I got the password incorrect screen.  I’ve got my Sonos One plugged in by ethernet cable right now and this is the most recent diagnostics I ran - 1827268036.  I’ve been trouble shooting this trying different things for hours and hours now and feel like I’m running out of options.

7 replies

Any chance your router was updated, and turned off the 2.4 GHz channel? It sounds suspiciously like the Sonos isn’t connecting while in Wi-Fi mode, and only working in wired mode.

This is like an on going problem now. I think the latest update screwed up everything! I was able to reconnect mine but only for a little while. 

Most people ran the update without issue, otherwise you’d see thousands of complaints here in the forums. It is much more likely to be an issue in your network, I would recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Having this issue with the Beam. Installed it and worked fine yesterday. I have tried troubleshooting - the Sonos has created its own network - but I get an error that says the wifi password is incorrect even though I can log into the same network with the password.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @7TonRobot

Most often when receiving an “incorrect password” message, the problem is related to Sonos not being able to connect to a supported network type. Would you be able to confirm that the router is running off B,G, or B/G/N mode and not just N?

Hi Adam,

I was able to speak to a great support person on Monday who spent over 1.5 hours that evening on troubleshooting and we discovered that my settings were for “any” instead of specifically those three and I was able to connect for a brief moment. It looks like the device is creating the mesh network but not connecting to the wifi itself. A support supervisor reached out and the earliest we can discuss is next Friday. I can respond if we learn anything new!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

That’s very interesting. I am happy to know this issue has been addressed. We would all appreciate updates if you choose to disclose them. Thanks for the update!