Answered

WiFi problems and skipping songs halfway

• 10 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Since a long time my system is sometimes skipping to a next song for no reason. I have seen and read multiple threads about this problem over the last few years but there seems to be no solution. It happens when using the Spotify service in the Sonos app. Is this something Sonos is working on?

Next to that it happens more than a few times a week that not every speaker is listed in the app. What could cause this?

Another problem we’re experiencing is an unstable WiFi connection (on multiple devices, not just Sonos) which seems to be caused by the Sonos speakers. When I unplug all the Sonos speakers we don’t experience these problems. Every speaker we have (4 Sonos One’s and a Move) is connected to WiFi. How can we fix this problem?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 August 2022, 21:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’d expect a great majority of those threads that you’ve been seeing to have solutions in them, particularly if they are about wifi interference in your network. Unfortunately, networking is relatively complex, and there is no single solution that can cover all potential issues. 

With the limited data you’ve provided, I’d recommend two immediate steps, followed by a contact with Sonos support.

First, I’d refresh your network, and the various devices connected to it. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, and turn off (not put to sleep) the Roam. While they are all powered down, reboot the router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reload its software, then plug back in your Sonos devices, and turn back on the Roam.

Second, as indicated in the FAQ I linked above, make sure that all your Sonos devices are at least a couple of feet from other networked devices. 

However, if that doesn’t help, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

The songskipping problem doesn’t seem to have a fix. 

I should have mentioned that I tried different things with the network already. I’ve tried a different router, completely new setup of the Sonos etcetera. I will do a system diagnostic and check in with the mentioned customer service. 

I should have mentioned that I tried different things with the network already. I’ve tried a different router, completely new setup of the Sonos etcetera. I will do a system diagnostic and check in with the mentioned customer service. 

My daughter in law once had this issue, albeit a while ago, with Spotify.

To resolve it in her case she used the online Spotify account resource to ‘sign out of Spotify everywhere’ and then removed the Spotify App from her mobile. She also removed the Spotify service from the Sonos App and reset the Sonos App itself… then she connected the Sonos App back to the ‘existing’ System and reinstalled things back and it has worked perfectly ever since.

My daughter in law once had this issue, albeit a while ago, with Spotify.

To resolve it in her case she used the online Spotify account resource to ‘sign out of Spotify everywhere’ and then removed the Spotify App from her mobile. She also removed the Spotify service from the Sonos App and reset the Sonos App itself… then she connected the Sonos App back to the ‘existing’ System and reinstalled things back and it has worked perfectly ever since.

That’s worth a try. Thanks for your reply!

Note that if you didn’t power down all network devices, there is a chance that any previous issues may carry over. Just replacing a router is not a silver bullet for all network issues. 

But that diagnostic, and your call to Sonos, will hopefully expose more details, if Ken’s suggested fix doesn’t work.