Answered

WiFi password incorrect

• 14 October 2019
  • 34 replies

I've spent 3 days trying to get my playbar, sub, and 2 play-3 speakers set up and it keeps saying the WiFi password is incorrect even when I copy-paste from the router settings.
It accepts the range extender network password, which is the same as the other one, but then tells me I can't use the speakers without the Boost.
So now I'm stuck with thousands of dollars of speakers that don't work.
I've tried changing the network password, deleting and reinstalling the app, resetting the speakers. I've tried plugging a speaker into the router but then the app doesn't even find it when searching for speakers to set up.
Can anyone suggest something else to try?
icon

Best answer by nik9669a 14 October 2019, 12:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Remember that this is a User Community, so you might prefer to call Sonos support instead.

Otherwise:

Sometimes the copy/paste picks up a “space” character at the end of the actual password. It may be worth checking that.

Since this is is your first time setup, it might be worth trying to set up just the Playbar first, without the others connected.

Can you connect the Playbar to router with an ethernet cable temporarily?

Unplug the playbar from power and shut down the router. Then restart the router and wait for it to fully restart. Then power up the Playbar and follow the setup procedure.

You See how that goes and report back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I’ve read that Sonos doesn’t like passwords with spaces in them. Is there a space in your pasword?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos often does not like range extenders and the like. Remove it and see how things go.

I’d consider switching to Boost Mode (one or more wired Sonos devices) and quit trying to connect to your home WiFi.

i have exactly the same problem. specifically for my playbase. is there a resolution to this?

Userlevel 7

i have exactly the same problem. specifically for my playbase. is there a resolution to this?

What do you mean you have the same problem? Your profile indicates you’ve been a Sonos user since 2018. Also, the original poster was having a problem with their entire Sonos. Your issue seems to be related to a single component. 

Question: What has changed since 2018? Something is different regarding your (wait for it) NETWORK. 

i have 2 sonos ones, a sub and a playbase. yes, this problem only happens for my playbase. it was working perfectly for over a year until early january 2020 where the playbase cannot be recognized on the entire 5.1 system. i tried multiple times to factory reset and everytime i disconnect from the physical ethernet cable, it automatically disappears. tried the wireless setup multiple times but kept saying “incorrect wifi password”. i removed the surrounds and sub, had it set-up as a differed group of speakers, set-up wireless network - and wifi password was working just perfectly.

my sense is that the playbase has a harware problem, it’s the only sonos speaker on my system that no longer connects via wifi (need to be hardwired via ethernet) - makes it pretty useless.

@sneakmeister Thank you for bringing your concern to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. I will reach out to you in a direct message to address your concerns about your Playbase.

I’m having exactly the same issue as @sneakmeister … I’ve spent an infuriating 2-3 hours trying to sort this. My Ethernet cable is short and the router is in the utility cupboard so my Play:5 is useless.

is it a hardware issue? I’ve followed all troubleshooting and reset my wifi password several times. 

Customer care line is only open whilst I’m at work. Advice desperately sought pls!! 

Hello @Alex_uhh. Welcome to the Community. I understand that you are having some trouble with your Play:5 working wireless on your network. In order to troubleshoot this, could you wire it into the back of your router with an Ethernet cable for now?

I would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system while it is wired, and reply back with the confirmation number. This will let us see what might have gone wrong with the speaker. I understand the inconvenience of moving it around your home, and thank you for your patience.

I’m having the same problems at @sneakmeister @Alex_uhh can you help me too Sonos. Already plugged in to Ethernet and wired it works fine but will not accept my WiFi password so I can move it back to original location. 

I’m having the same problems at @sneakmeister @Alex_uhh can you help me too Sonos. Already plugged in to Ethernet and wired it works fine but will not accept my WiFi password so I can move it back to original location. 

Try rebooting your router, mobile controller and All Sonos devices. Switch off (temporarily) any other wifi Access points, extenders, repeaters, or secondary Hubs.

On reboot of the devices, check that the mobile controller device has re-connected direct to the routers 2.4ghz WiFi.

Next re-enter the 2.4ghz Wifi credentials (case sensitive) in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” in the Sonos App. 

If that still does not work....

Perhaps change the 2.4ghz password on your router and remove/avoid any ‘unusual’ characters and stick to an alphanumeric case sensitive password, then reboot the router again and reconnect your mobile controller device to the wifi using the new credentials. 

Then try entering the new password again in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” in the Sonos App.

If that works, you can then go onto change the password on all your other wireless devices connected to your 2.4ghz wifi network.

It’s sometimes worthwhile to perhaps change the WiFi credentials, from time to time anyway, for added network security.

Hello @Bfish. Welcome to the community. Please submit a diagnostic report of your system, while your Play:5 is wired to the router with an Ethernet cable. Once that is done, please reply back to this thread with the confirmation number so I can take a further look for you.

@Alex_uhh, were you able to submit a diagnostic report as well? If so, could you also provide your confirmation number?

I just purchased a playbase and ran into the same issue.  I was able to work around the issue by setting up an older wifi access point in legacy 802.11bg mode.  It seems the device cannot connect to a 802.11g network.  Hope this helps.

I just got Play One as a 10yr gift from work and can’t get Wifi working due to the Incorrect Password issue.  Spend a couple hours now trying the various recommendations.  A dozen devices up to 10yrs old work on it so why doesn’t a brand New Sonos product work?  Our Telus Wifi has a smart feature that does 2.4 or 5 so I am puzzled why it won’t connect wirelessly using my current WiFi password.  If I could return this product I would

Because it doesn’t know the new SSID and password until you wire it directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, would be my guess. The PLAY:1 does not have the same BLE that the Sonos One does due to its age, so there’s no way to transfer the new network information to it until you wire it directly. Once it has the new data, it should connect wirelessly to the 2.4Ghz b/g network. 

I guess I said it wrong, my is a Sonos One Gen2.  Just came in the mail today.  I went into my WiFi modems settings and am trying different things but now I can’t seem to even communicate with it so I am trying to reset things back

I am not too sure but it suddenly started working which I assume was the WiFi change to allow all types of 2.4Ghz types and/or the reboot.  THANK GOD but I am still out 3 hrs today

Hi, wonder if you can help? I have the same problem with the password being incorrect. Rogers recently upgraded my modem and now the only thing that doesn’t work is Sonos. I’ve tried unplugging, resetting etc as above but nothing has worked. I have the Ethernet in but would like the WiFi to work again. Any help much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please check if you router is on 2,4 GHz wifi. If so, is it on 2,4 GHz b/g/n, not “n only”, or as stated above “change (Wifi) to allow all types of 2.4Ghz”.

Please check if you router is on 2,4 GHz wifi. If so, is it on 2,4 GHz b/g/n, not “n only”, or as stated above “change (Wifi) to allow all types of 2.4Ghz”.

This worked! Thanks so much! 👏🏻

I just found a possible problem/solution on this enraging problem after reading about the 2.4 v 5 GHz issue. I looked into which frequency our system uses, and found out that 1) our modem uses both, and 2) when my partner reset the WiFi password the other day, she made a slightly different password for the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz channels -- one letter was a different case. So I was typing in the password that worked on 5GHz, and it was telling me I was entering the wrong password when I knew I wasn’t. Problem solved as soon as I located and entered the right password. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So not a Sonos problem at all then….. The one case where the Sonos help stating you are using the wrong password is actually true.

I experienced this issue on a new Sonos 5. It was a pain to figure out but disabling the 5Ghz network did the trick. This is a huge problem for users who don’t know much about advanced settings. Sonos please fix this. Very disappointed in the amount of time it took me to figure this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good that it worked for you, but disabling the 5Ghz network should not be necessary to get Sonos to work.

I had this yesterday. I have 2 x Sonos One in separate rooms. One unit initially developed a patchy wifi connection then completely lost connection - the other unit followed suit. Tried reconnecting but “Wifi Password Incorrect” came up along with an Error code 1001.

Removed the wifi (forget the network) and tried a reconnect, same thing, unplugged and replugged - same. Did a factory reset - same issue. 

Worked fine through ethernet cable during this time. 

Turned wifi off fully at the router for 5 mins and tried again - was able to connect to the Wifi straight away and everything now working fine again. 

SO - despite not changing anything and everything else in the house working fine, i do recommend turning your router off and on before doing anything else.