Answered

WIFI just wont stick and I would prefer not to be connected by sonosnet (never needed to be for 2 years)

• 15 June 2018
  • 4 replies

System with 3 play 1's has worked for 2 years faultlessly, now WIFI connection drops after being set up initially, could be to do with talk talk isp making a router adjustment but that might be a red herring. I have reset all 3 Play 1 speakers four times now and then added them all back and they connect through wifi wonderfully with no ethernet cable and system is fine. The next day i try to connect the speakers cannot be detected "searching for Sonos on wi-fi" and it doesn't find it. If I do connect using ethernet cable using sononet then it is a stable fix bit I didn't want to have to run another ethernet cable to a speaker as well as a mains cable. Any ideas, I do have 3 family members also using iphone controllers, I have wondered if them trying to connect is reverting back to a sonosnet connection and that might be the problem. Talk Talk I think added 5mghz connection functionality to router around the same time this started messing about but I am not sure if this is a problem. I tried to split the connections on the router so sonos would use the 2.1 connection as I think it prefers. Anyway as you can see I am clearly a novice at the brink of understanding what on earth is going. So if there are any brave souls who think they can help me out of my befuddlement I will be most grateful, I'm always working so cant get to sonos helpline number as they are long gone by the time I get home.
icon

Best answer by Chris 15 June 2018, 21:42

On windows computer you can try acrylic WiFi home
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you looked at a wifi sniffer program to see other wifi channels around you. It could be a neighbors wifi overpowering and the new router is on a channel close to neighbor.

What channel is your wifi on. Maybe just to start - move your wifi channel to a different one between 1 and 11 (so I would go 1 or 11 - whichever is at least 5 channels away from your current channel using.
Great I think this must be the issue it was on 6 so changed to 11 but no better. I then changed to auto and it connected. Howver I then tried each channel from 1 to 11 and none of them connected, switched back to auto and it connected. Not sure what to do long term as it seems the WiFi network might be busy. Ca you recommend a sniffer program, I just tried wireshark but far too complicated for me. Thanks for helping out
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On windows computer you can try acrylic WiFi home
Many thanks that helps a lot have a good weekend.