Answered

Wifi connenction stability

• 23 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Does anyone know if this would be better/work?

I have a broadband connection and use the wifi connection from the providers router ( in this case Telenet ).

Sometimes when playing the sound on all the ones connected through wifi drops , sometimes a second but sometimes a few seconds in a row, or a sec off, a second on (i also have a connection from my connect to my stereo, because i have two big BOSE boxes attached to that one aswell…. those never drop sound, that’s why i assume it’s a wifi prob)

I have 5 play1, one sonos one, one BEAM and a connect.

Would something like this:

https://www.amazon.fr/NETGEAR-Point-dacc%C3%A8s-WiFi-WAX204/dp/B08MQ5CVQK?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_e31ff8b9_64&smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&th=1

or a MESH set up resolve those problems or not?

I think the TELENET router cannot handle all these things? (also have Philips HUE at home)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thx

Sid

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 November 2021, 10:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge

Assuming the wired ‘Sonos Connect’ is part of your Sonos Household then it’s likely that Sonos isn’t using the routers WiFi signal anyway, but that all are running on the internal SonosNet mesh signal

My connect is not wired connected….

i have one BEAM (connected wired) i only use that one when watching Bluray.

ALL others are into ONE group and none of those is wired.

So i assume they all use the wifi signal or am i wrong?

Thx,

Sid

Assuming the wired ‘Sonos Connect’ is part of your Sonos Household then it’s likely that Sonos isn’t using the routers WiFi signal anyway, but that all are running on the internal SonosNet mesh signal - so if anything, you probably just need to make a few changes to your existing setup. Some of the main things to perhaps consider are:

• Ensuring you have your SonosNet channel set 5+ channels away from your routers 2.4Ghz channel. Put the router WiFi (2.4Ghz band) on a non-overlapping ‘fixed’ channel (1, 6 or 11) with a channel width of 20MHz.
  • Position the wired Sonos device at least one meter away from the router and maybe consider wiring your most modern stand-alone speaker as the root-bridge to your LAN as it will likely have a better WiFi adapter built-in. Do not use a HT Surround/Sub as the wired device. Consider using a Sonos Boost
  • If using a system that has non-portable Sonos products (Roam/Move) then remove the routers WiFi credentials from the Sonos App network settings - these are not required when running all on SonosNet.

An alternative to the above, is to not run the system on SonosNet at all and uncable all Sonos devices from the LAN and allow it the system to just run on the router WiFi instead, but it’s still a good idea to use a non-overlapping fixed WiFi channel with a channel-width of 20MHz.

I would also consider making all the Sonos product IP addresses static on the subnet by adding them to the routers DHCP reservation table, as that too can help with some routers. This is optional, but recommended, particularly with larger Sonos systems.