Answered

WiFi change and now complete breakdown.

• 24 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I made changes to my wifi and since then my Sonos has completely stopped working. I have a playbase and two Sonos ones all set up in one room. 

It was still working at first, despite the original wifi it was connected to changing the name. But I couldn’t find my Sonos on Spotify. When I tried to check this out I was first told to update the app version. After this all the instructions online were now inconsistent with the new app. 

today I went to plug in one of the Sonos Ones into the router via Ethernet. Initially, it tells me I am now set up on the new wifi. But when I unplug it and go back downstairs to where the others are it says there is a problem. 

i have now retried this 4 times with both smaller speakers with multiple different methods and nothing. There is now no sound at all and I keep getting error methods. 

honestly, this is unfathomably infuriating. The fact you can’t make these changes without plugging a speaker into a router is crazy. The system is dreadful. And this from someone who works at a tech company. 

would appreciate any advice. 

icon

Best answer by Simon B 19 February 2021, 23:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @leobarker, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your Sonos system after changing your Wifi. I’ll be asking some questions to further check on this issue. 

• Did you change your Wifi credentials or the router itself?
  • If it is a new Wifi router, what is the make and model of it? So we can check for compatibility or ongoing issue with the specific model.
  • After making a temporary hardwire connection on one of your Sonos speakers to the router, Have you tried to do the Wireless setup and delete the old Wifi network on the Sonos App? (Settings > System > Network > Networks > Delete the old Wifi network)
  • After doing the wireless setup, you can try to unplug it from the ethernet port on the router and check if you are connected to the new Wifi network.

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You changed the wifi connection details, and are somehow surprised that you now need a cable to connect your Sonos device to the router? You literally “cut” the wireless connection, how else do you think you can get the new details into the Sonos device? Its not like you can plug in a keyboard and a screen and type them in.

(Yes, I know, newer devices use Wifi direct to make this easier, but still).

Badge

You changed the wifi connection details, and are somehow surprised that you now need a cable to connect your Sonos device to the router? You literally “cut” the wireless connection, how else do you think you can get the new details into the Sonos device? Its not like you can plug in a keyboard and a screen and type them in.

(Yes, I know, newer devices use Wifi direct to make this easier, but still).

No, I wasn’t surpised. As you saw I followed the instructions Sonos provided me at every step. What surprises me is the incredibly counter intuitive and roundabout the process is. It should be SO much more simple. Not to mention that the steps NEVER work first time. I have to repeat the steps over and over (without any change) before something finally works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @leobarker, thanks for the update. Sorry to know that you have to try the steps a couple of times before it worked. If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.

Badge

Hi there @leobarker, thanks for the update. Sorry to know that you have to try the steps a couple of times before it worked. If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for picking this up. I do actually have an issue. I have just switched home broadband to Three’s 5G service. Again, same issues. I have gone through the requested steps and when I plug one of the Sonos One’s into the router via ethernet cable, it simply doesn’t recognise it. I can see it’s connected when I jump into the router settings on my browser.

I called support who said I should speak to Three about changing the router settings. I’ve done that now but still nothing.

Fyi, I have a Playbase and two Ones set up in one room. I have since tried connecting the router to the Playbase as well without any luck.

Any advice?

Badge

P.S. I have a week left to decide what to do.

1. I go back to my previous broadband provider. However, this is costing me £35 per month MORE than the other.
  2. I stay with the (much better) 5G broadband and sell my Sonos speakers for ones that work with the new service.

Sadly, on a two year contract £35 per month is impossible to ignore. I could buy any speaker set up I wanted with that and have change left over.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @leobarker, thanks for the update and I apologize for the late response, thanks for trying some troubleshooting steps and taking the time to call our support team. You may call them back and let them know that you’ve contacted Threes and it’s still not working so that they can further check or have this concern escalated if needed. 

Keep me in the know with the advice above. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.