WIFI 6 Creates a very expensive brick

• 7 February 2021
  • 9 replies

I was so excited to upgrade to an WiFi 6 System with Tri Band.  I had a dual band AIMesh from Asus had no issues at all everything worked out of the box.  Especially after spending the money for a 5.1 Sonos System.  That was a hard one to justify spending that much money but after listening to the system I was good and have been for several years.  Now it is time to upgrade the Home WiF to AX ok going with the Asus XT8 2 pack more money.  Got them out of the box and setup and now the work started.  Sonos doesn’t connect!!  I try a couple times to connect and run the setup.  All the way to the end and it is not added.  Well the app tells you the hardware is added but you may have to unplug/plug the power for it to appear in system.  WRONG ANSWER!! 

Looking and I see there are a few people in the same situation.  Who would have thought that a piece of network equipment will turn you system into a brick, in my case a $1500 Brick.  Hmmmm, kinda feel like a Fool and his money have parted now.  I have a few cheap CCP Lightbulbs that have issues too but those were cheap.  Once you lose network you have nothing…

What Wifi 6 Systems work with Sonos out of the box?  I am tired of chasing firmware downgrades and such to try and fix...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Wuzzy,

Have you tried this?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3668?language=en_US

Eero works. Regardless, for best results you must reboot EVERYTHING on your network after changing routers. I also recommend reserving IP addresses for all regular clients. This will minimize the risk of future issues after power failures and firmware updates.

Yes I have verified airtime fairness is off.  I don’t understand this, I have old phones that still connect, iPhone 6.  It was bought years before I bought Sonos but it still connects.  I know apple didn’t show up and upgrade my hardware to keep it working.  The idea that I would need new hardware is proved wrong by apple.  Sorry had been reading other threads that said I need newer Sonos hardware to work, because there is no software solution.  WiFi is WiFi, we have standards to make sure this is not an issue.  But here we are...

Sonos is perfectly capable of working with your WiFi but you have clearly decided otherwise. That's a pity.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Wuzzy, are you using QOS? This fixed it for me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I have two XT8s in AiMesh mode. Just the Boost connected by Ethernet and the units connected by SonosNet. Works exactly the same way as my old RT-66u.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The new Asus AX router is infamously poor on Sonos systems. Many threads on this. Try a recent router instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No way I want to have to dial back my WiFi setup to the limited levels Sonos supports! 

Far easier to run an Ethernet to one or more (non-sub/surround) Sonos devices or add a Boost and get Sonos off my WiFi and on to the non-WiFi SonosNet.

Sonos is happy, my WiFi devices are happy. Zero conflicts or glitches.

This is an ASUS firmware issue. Latest version causes Sonos connection problems. Downgrading to the 25790 version worked for me. All Sonos and IKEA systems working again. I have the ASUS XT8 AiMesh system.