Answered

Why is Dolby Atmos content playing on Arc in stereo through Tidal app on LG TV?

Badge

Hi,

I have an LG OLED GX TV connected to a Sonos Arc via HDMI with a Tidal HiFi subscription running on the LG Tidal app. However Tidal Dolby Atmos content plays on the Sonos Arc as “Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0” instead of “Dolby Atmos”, according to the Sonos app.

My expectation that this set-up should result in Dolby Atmos output from the Arc is based on information from the Tidal website (here) and LG website (here)

This is what I see on the Sonos app when playing Atmos content on the LG Tidal app:

And this is what I see when running Dolby Atmos content on the LG Netflix app (and what I was hoping to see for Tidal too):

Has anyone managed to get Tidal Atmos content working on a Sonos Arc through an LG TV running the Tidal app? And does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might change to make this set-up work?

TIA.

Simon

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 July 2021, 20:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

What are your audio settings set to on your TV? 

Badge

What are your audio settings set to on your TV? 

Hi GuitarSuperstar.

TV audio is set to eArc and passthrough. This works for Dolby Atmos on the Netflix app running on the TV.

Simon

Userlevel 7

Can you post screenshots of your audio settings?

Badge

Can you post screenshots of your audio settings?

Sure:

Userlevel 7

What is HDMI Input Audio Format set to? Are you using a Fire TV?

Badge

What is HDMI Input Audio Format set to? Are you using a Fire TV?

HDMI Input Audio Format is set to bitstream for all inputs but I’m running Tidal on the TV app. I was doing something else with the Fire TV Stick when I took that screenshot. I did wonder if that would cause confusion :^) 

Userlevel 7

Does your TV have the latest firmware installed? Are you sure you have a HiFi subscription? What specific song are you testing on Tidal? Which model Fire TV do you have? Have you tried the Tidal app on the Fire TV?

Badge

Does your TV have the latest firmware installed?

Yes: 03.23.06

Are you sure you have a HiFi subscription? What specific song are you testing on Tidal? 

Yes:

This playlist:

Which model Fire TV do you have? Have you tried the Tidal app on the Fire TV?

A 2nd generation (non-4K) Stick. Not tried Tidal on it - there’s no reason to think that this would support Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 7

No, Atmos isn’t supported on your Fire TV Stick.

Is there a Dolby Atmos setting on your TV that you can enable/disable?

You can also try unplugging the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes and see if a power cycle will make a difference.

Badge

No, Atmos isn’t supported on your Fire TV Stick.

Is there a Dolby Atmos setting on your TV that you can enable/disable?

You can also try unplugging the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes and see if a power cycle will make a difference.

The LG Tidal app has no audio settings and Dolby Atmos works fine using the LG Netflix app, so I don’t see how the TV audio settings could be a problem. Similarly, how would a power cycle help if the problem only affects one app?

Appreciate your help though.

Userlevel 7

I’m just trying to exhaust all possible solutions.

What other options do you have under DTV Audio Setting?

Some LG TV’s have a Dolby Atmos setting you can enable/disable. I guess your model doesn’t have this setting.

Power cycling the TV and Arc can fix A LOT of problems. It wouldn’t hurt to see if it fixes your problem.

One other solution you can try is deleting the Tidal app and reinstalling it.

If none of these work, then I’m out of ideas.

Badge

So I tried a power cycle of the TV and Arc and it ONLY BLOODY FIXED IT!

After restarting the TV I had to log into my account on the Tidal app again and when I did that it showed a message about supporting Dolby Atmos content that I don’t remember seeing the first time I logged in. After that when I played Atmos content in the app it showed as Dolby Atmos on Sonos.

Thanks very much for your help GuitarSuperstar and I’m sorry I doubted your “turn it off and on again” solution :^) 

Simon