Question

Why I hate my sonos. The system keeps disconnecting and is extremely frustrating. Help please

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had sonos for nearly 12 months and I absolutely cannot stand it right now. This is not the first time i posted for help in a forum, but never in my life have I had a technical product that has gone nearly 12 months without resolve.

So let's repeat my setup.

I have wired speakers that go to a niles switch, which go to a vanguard 8050 amp connected to Sonos Connect. I also have sonos connect amp for dedicated zone for the patio.

System is connected to google wifi and utilizes sonosnet

here is my latest diagnostic - 706498470

Problem Statement: The system continues to disconnect. No matter what I try, it disconnects. Sonos has recommended since they are discontinuing the 'play from this iPhone' so I uploaded my music to google music, and once again within minutes the system disconnects.

Sonos now recommends to get a NAS and load music. I'm not going to spend any more money on this system, and I almost want a refund at this point.

Can someone help me and prevent me from burning this system.

20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
While there are many knowledgeable users here who might help dolve this, only Sonos can read your diagnostic. I would call Sonos support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Giving us a call and working with a technician is definitely a good way to get help quickly. The audio cutout issue for the iOS streaming is pretty well documented at this point. If you're playing tracks from "on this iOS device" when the screen goes off, you are likely to see audio cutting out if there's any AirPlay compatible devices on your network.

Unrelated to that, on the diagnostic you posted, the current cutouts I suspect are caused by wireless interference between players. Their connection from one to the other is pretty poor at the moment of the diagnostic. To resolve this, I'd suggest starting with changing the wireless channel for Sonos under Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless.

Now, if you have playback trouble on the Sonos player that is wired into the network (when it's playing on it's own and not grouped), it's not likely to be just the wireless noise I'm seeing. As wireless interference on a wired player needs to be incredible for it to affect playback.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Giving us a call and working with a technician is definitely a good way to get help quickly. The audio cutout issue for the iOS streaming is pretty well documented at this point. If you're playing tracks from "on this iOS device" when the screen goes off, you are likely to see audio cutting out if there's any AirPlay compatible devices on your network.

Unrelated to that, on the diagnostic you posted, the current cutouts I suspect are caused by wireless interference between players. Their connection from one to the other is pretty poor at the moment of the diagnostic. To resolve this, I'd suggest starting with changing the wireless channel for Sonos under Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless.

Now, if you have playback trouble on the Sonos player that is wired into the network (when it's playing on it's own and not grouped), it's not likely to be just the wireless noise I'm seeing. As wireless interference on a wired player needs to be incredible for it to affect playback.

Ryan,

The iOS streaming is well known, but its the first time in a year that i found out when i saw the article posted during upgrade. I've called numerous times over the year and no one ever stated that to me. That point is not worth discussing as the feature is going away.

That is why I uploaded all my songs to google play and added the music service. I've been hearing about wireless interference for a while as well and cannot seem to nail it down. I tried to call support earlier but the message stated it was a 30 minute wait and would be easier to post to the community, as why i started this thread. I will be happy to contact support, Are they able to figure out what 'wireless interference' there is.

I have many other wireless gadgets in the house and sonos is the only one that is having a problem. Initially, if you check my cases, we thought it was airplay off my marantz receiver, so I turned that off.

Then I totally shut off the marantz and was still having issues.

I'm not sure how else to send music to the sonos, and i'm unwilling to spend more money as i've dumped in a lot of money already.

What else can I do, I moved the the sonos to channel 11 on the wifi sonnet
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I've called numerous times over the year and no one ever stated that to me. That point is not worth discussing as the feature is going away.

Sonos just announced this last week, that may have been why.
Hi goldyfarbs,

Totally get the frustrations. I posted this a while back to combat some similar issues I was having. In case it might help you.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/how-i-fixed-my-sonos-installation-ie-no-dropouts-6814453#post16278136
Userlevel 1
Badge

I've called numerous times over the year and no one ever stated that to me. That point is not worth discussing as the feature is going away.Sonos just announced this last week, that may have been why.

So instead of playing it off after I called for the last year and not acknowledging the problem until publicly last week, Do you think that is a good idea? I'm trying to remain positive, but my experience has been subpar at best.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi goldyfarbs,

Totally get the frustrations. I posted this a while back to combat some similar issues I was having. In case it might help you.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/how-i-fixed-my-sonos-installation-ie-no-dropouts-6814453#post16278136

Timecode - Thanks, I will review the post and comment accordingly. At first glance it looks like a lot of extra work to ensure things work properly... This shouldn't be the case in my humble opinion.

I would be happy if a Sonos tech rep contacted me, because my entire system seems supported, so go figure.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Ryan - I can call support, but i'm going to be posting the latest diagnostic code from today, 786525205
Userlevel 1
Badge
And the other question I have is, I have a connect amp and a sonos connect near each other. I have the cable from google wifi connected to the connect, which makes it sonosnet. Is there a way to also hardwire the sonos connect so that none of my sonos is using wifi to connect itself
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Taking a look at that diagnostic, the wireless isn't much improved. Again, if you don't have trouble with the wired player, wireless should be something to look at here.

And the other question I have is, I have a connect amp and a sonos connect near each other. I have the cable from google wifi connected to the connect, which makes it sonosnet. Is there a way to also hardwire the sonos connect so that none of my sonos is using wifi to connect itself
You bet, just wire the second one into the network somehow. Just note, if one is wired into a wireless access point, which jumps back to the main router wirelessly, there is still a wireless connection in the works, so you have to assume that it's more stable than your SonosNet connection, which it certainly could be.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Taking a look at that diagnostic, the wireless isn't much improved. Again, if you don't have trouble with the wired player, wireless should be something to look at here.

And the other question I have is, I have a connect amp and a sonos connect near each other. I have the cable from google wifi connected to the connect, which makes it sonosnet. Is there a way to also hardwire the sonos connect so that none of my sonos is using wifi to connect itselfYou bet, just wire the second one into the network somehow. Just note, if one is wired into a wireless access point, which jumps back to the main router wirelessly, there is still a wireless connection in the works, so you have to assume that it's more stable than your SonosNet connection, which it certainly could be.

Ryan i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'if you don't have trouble with the wired player, wireless should be something to look at here.'

I'm struggling because I literally disconnected everything downstairs where the sonos comes in. It all has to be placed where it is because of where the wires get run from the speakers...

I disconnected the power on the following Vizio TV / Fios TV Box, Harmony Remote, Marantz Receiver.

There's literally nothing else for me to disconnect as I need my fios router / Google home in order to hook up sonos to sonosnet in boost mode.

I feel lost at this point because there is literally nothing else I can do to make this better. I wish I could return the equipment at this point because i've invested to many hours to try to resolve this problem and there is still no end in sight. *sigh*

Hoping someone has the silver bullet
Trust me, it never ends. I think i am on going for 4 years now. It might get better but then months of frustration will come back. They will blame everything else and never accept any responsibility. Unless you live in a perfect wifi environment, Sonos will have trouble. All it takes is one bad system update from them and you are back in Sonos Hell. They are nice looking bricks though.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Trust me, it never ends. I think i am on going for 4 years now. It might get better but then months of frustration will come back. They will blame everything else and never accept any responsibility. Unless you live in a perfect wifi environment, Sonos will have trouble. All it takes is one bad system update from them and you are back in Sonos Hell. They are nice looking bricks though.

Dave, I'm beginning to think that but i was committed to get it working. Unfortunately, i'm in the whole for some money between the switch box (vanguard 8050) Sonos Connect, and Sonos Connect -AMP, plus countless hours over the past year.

What are the options? Stage a protest?
You're only 1 year in. Just wait. If only we got paid for all time on tech support calls and emails. I would be able to quit my job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

And the other question I have is, I have a connect amp and a sonos connect near each other. I have the cable from google wifi connected to the connect, which makes it sonosnet. Is there a way to also hardwire the sonos connect so that none of my sonos is using wifi to connect itselfYou bet, just wire the second one into the network somehow. Just note, if one is wired into a wireless access point, which jumps back to the main router wirelessly, there is still a wireless connection in the works, so you have to assume that it's more stable than your SonosNet connection, which it certainly could be.

Ryan i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'if you don't have trouble with the wired player, wireless should be something to look at here.'

One the diagnostic, you have two players, Patio and Basement. Basement was wired into the network on the diagnostic. If you are playing music to the Basement only using the Sonos software from an online source, such as Internet Radio, there aren't any wireless hops that are in play (assuming the wired connection I'm seeing is directly to the router, and not through some power over ethernet or wireless access point). The Patio player is getting its network connection through the Basement, so the wireless connection between those two needs to be strong to maintain playback on the Patio. If the wired player is working fine and it's just the playback to the Patio, this could be caused by the interference I'm seeing, or it could be structural. Such as if the walls are thick or lined with metal it'll potentially cause wireless issues, or if the Patio unit is sitting on top of a surface that's disrupting the signals (sometimes stone/concrete can do this).

To troubleshoot it quickest, it's usually best to give us a call and work with a technician, instead of back and forth over the community.

@Dave R., I understand the frustration from looking over your case history, but I can see you're in good hands. I can tell you with confidence that what you're experiencing isn't the norm, but I know that won't make you feel better. Intermittent issues, especially with playing music can be difficult to trace down as they are a symptom of one or more larger complications which may even be compounding each other. The music stopping when it shouldn't is usually caused, in the most general sense, by the speakers not receiving the information they should quickly enough. This could be caused by many different things (which is why it can take some time to investigate when the cause isn't obvious). The most common reasons are wireless interference caused by nearby devices, most often the wireless router itself. This is why you'll see it mentioned a lot, it's because of how often that is the culprit, however, that doesn't mean it's always the case. I know that the team will continue to assist you to the fullest extent they can in order to help get your system working the way it should.
Userlevel 1
Badge

One the diagnostic, you have two players, Patio and Basement. Basement was wired into the network on the diagnostic. If you are playing music to the Basement only using the Sonos software from an online source, such as Internet Radio, there aren't any wireless hops that are in play (assuming the wired connection I'm seeing is directly to the router, and not through some power over ethernet or wireless access point). The Patio player is getting its network connection through the Basement, so the wireless connection between those two needs to be strong to maintain playback on the Patio. If the wired player is working fine and it's just the playback to the Patio, this could be caused by the interference I'm seeing, or it could be structural. Such as if the walls are thick or lined with metal it'll potentially cause wireless issues, or if the Patio unit is sitting on top of a surface that's disrupting the signals (sometimes stone/concrete can do this).

To troubleshoot it quickest, it's usually best to give us a call and work with a technician, instead of back and forth over the community.

@Dave R., I understand the frustration from looking over your case history, but I can see you're in good hands. I can tell you with confidence that what you're experiencing isn't the norm, but I know that won't make you feel better. Intermittent issues, especially with playing music can be difficult to trace down as they are a symptom of one or more larger complications which may even be compounding each other. The music stopping when it shouldn't is usually caused, in the most general sense, by the speakers not receiving the information they should quickly enough. This could be caused by many different things (which is why it can take some time to investigate when the cause isn't obvious). The most common reasons are wireless interference caused by nearby devices, most often the wireless router itself. This is why you'll see it mentioned a lot, it's because of how often that is the culprit, however, that doesn't mean it's always the case. I know that the team will continue to assist you to the fullest extent they can in order to help get your system working the way it should.

Ryan,

i am consistently having problems with the basement Sonos that is hardwired into the network. The patio hasn’t been used as much.

If if the basement one is cutting out and it’s hardwired what could it be then. I’m chasing my tail.

I will I’ll try to call soon. Do you have a case to reference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Ryan,
i am consistently having problems with the basement Sonos that is hardwired into the network. The patio hasn’t been used as much.

If if the basement one is cutting out and it’s hardwired what could it be then. I’m chasing my tail.

I will I’ll try to call soon. Do you have a case to reference.

If a wired player is cutting out, it's more likely to be either an issue with the source audio getting to the player, or the player trying to play it, the first is more common. You can just give the technician you speak with your email address to find the diagnostics you've submitted. We haven't done too much troubleshootingwise here, so just let them know what you've done and they can take it from there.

My first suggestions would be to check that there's nothing wrong with the network connection itself, by running some consistent pings from a wired computer to the player. But that's the sort of thing that the technician can work with.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ryan - I will take your advice and try to call Friday. I'm fearing Dave might be right.... I'm hoping to prove him wrong..
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan - I will take your advice and try to call Friday. I'm fearing Dave might be right.... I'm hoping to prove him wrong..
They should be able to help, but in the case that you've got a more complicated situation, the phone team can escalate you up to a senior team that has more tools and experience to call on.
I have similar problems. I’ve got 6 speakers, at no time do they all show up on the controller. I know they are connected to Wi-Fi as you can make them play manually.
I’ve looked at some of the fixes, but since I don’t have an in house IT department they are not going to happen.
The beauty of Sonos used to be that they were plug and play. No more.
I’m about to dump the whole system and find an upgrade.