Why don't you admit you have a major problem?

• 6 January 2018
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies
I want my money back because I am sick of my non-playing Sonos. I don't care what they say about wi-fi, I don't want to spend my time trying complex reconfigurations on my wi-fi set up because Sonos cannot sort out their own tech. It has got to the point where I am considering taking this to trading standards and the community is so angry that Sonos are going to end up with horrendous reviews on all the tech sites.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

IF you have a solution, you're more than welcome to share. Currently, I can't even get my speakers on the system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
IF you have a solution, you're more than welcome to share. Currently, I can't even get my speakers on the system.
How about starting a new thread with details on the specifics of your problems and what you have done so far to solve them. You could also add a diagnostic number to that thread.

I am assuming you have doe a full network re-boot/start? That clears most issues regarding connectivity. If not give it a try.

Failing the above give the Sonos customer services a call, they are usually very helpful and know their stuff.

Having a frustrated rant on here with threats to sell your kit is not the best way to engage people into helping you sort your issues, even if it does get it off your chest. We've all done it at some point but it rarely makes things better in the long run.
Simple solution is hard wire one to router, but router is in a not used place so I would have to buy more hardware. Just don't need to spend a lot of time for a device that is of little use. Also seems like have to reboot modem and router weekly. Lots of devices have crappy software
No. Did not solve the problem. Change internet provider? Endless need to reboot and replace remembered WiFi details....also, small house, strong WiFi signal.....why the heck should I need to buy a boost to make a system work as designed without it? Rip. Off. After investing over $1000 for the system audio components, now I have to spend $100 for a component that is a fix for the companies poor tech or false advertising? And if this purchase doesn’t stop constant drops? Then what? Not a satisfied customer. Not confident in Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I wonder if the folks complaining understand how difficult it is to design technology like this? Although it's really not the technology itself. It's being able to design something that will work in the total number of environments equal to the permutations generated by internet equipment x TV models x WiFi interference (appliances, neighbors, etc.) x other variables. It's very hard to test for all those permutations.

From what I've seen, Sonos has incorporated a way to get a snapshot of your environment and send those metrics to Sonos where they can be diagnosed. Very few equipment providers do this. I'm a software engineer. I understand hardware, software, and networks. I'm very impressed with Sonos' technology. Having said that, I understand the frustration when equipment that you've spent some good money on doesn't work. But have all the folks with issues at least given Sonos support the opportunity to diagnose their particular issues? From reading other threads in this forum, I've been pretty impressed with Sonos' responsiveness and ability to diagnose issues from diagnostics that consumers can easily generate.
Well, yes, it is a pity I didn't read this thread before I bought my pair of speakers. The wireless extender has been disabled because apparently it interfered, then I was told to plug into ethernet... but that wasn't enough, now I have to wire directly to the primary router. And all this only on GooglePlay -- other music services have always worked, but for some reason the GooglePlay integration is extra sensitive. To make the most of my speakers I am now faced with hard wiring ethernet under the floor.... I might as well have got a much cheaper pair. Very disappointed.
Well, yes, it is a pity I didn't read this thread before I bought my pair of speakers. The wireless extender has been disabled because apparently it interfered, then I was told to plug into ethernet... but that wasn't enough, now I have to wire directly to the primary router. And all this only on GooglePlay -- other music services have always worked, but for some reason the GooglePlay integration is extra sensitive. To make the most of my speakers I am now faced with hard wiring ethernet under the floor.... I might as well have got a much cheaper pair. Very disappointed.
And I now have to add, that to get it working, with Gplay, I can't have a stereo pair.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't ask much of my sonos system. I have two pairs of $200/each speakers in the house on my wifi system and it generally has worked pretty well, until recently. Alexa is a pain to use with the system since Alexa needs precise statements of what to play so I might as well use a manual app and enter it with my fingers. The PC apps are not even ok, I've never gotten use to the almost unreadable utterly stupid dark grey on black scroll bars, and it would be nice to be able to group music into categories (eg, Jazz, Piano, Symphonic, etc, user defined) so I don't have to scroll through 2000 albums to find something, but life isn't perfect. However, some of my bought-and-paid-for amazon albums don't play from time to time, and recently with an app upgrade, over 50% of them wouldn't play. This was resolved by "the team" within a day, and I suppose I'm supposed to give them a bravo, but I wonder how they could have effed it up in the first place. My wife has given up on the unreliability of the system when she wants to play her music on computers or services, and she now uses her ancient boombox instead. I have concluded that I regret ever getting into this; a good pair of computer speakers gets me 90% of the sound quality I need. So , from this point on I will not recommend sonos to anyone (I have probably sold a half dozen systems by my rec's to friends, but I know some of them never use their sonos systems or have never gotten them work). What a shame.
Userlevel 2

Only recommend Sonos to Friends that you can afford to loose. To listen to music on the Sonos system all the stars have to be aligned. It's a genius idea and Sonos is certainly a leader in it's field, but they have designed themselves into a giant software knot. Over the years, I spent more time fixing it than listening to music. And for all you net admins out there, enjoy the puzzle. 

Also, I never felt so much at the mercy of software updates for any of my other white goods.

The hardware is willing but the software is soft.

Happy days.

I have owned Sonos components for a few years now and fully agree with you.  I have had non-stop issues over the past few years as Sonos has evolved.  I am forced to log into an account to do almost anything with my local system.   The non-stop upgrades and troubleshooting i have to go through just about every time i simply want to turn on my system and use it is really frustrating.  I’ve spent at least 4 weekend hours  to set up a new SL pair over the past month.   I am forced to log in, then try many options.  The best moment was when i was directed to a web page on the support site that advised me to reset my speaker by “turning it off” and then “pressing the blah and blah buttons”.   Really?  How do the buttons recognize you are pressing them without power?…    My usual Sonos experience goes like this.   Turn on speakers and components, invoke Sonos app, either one component or another does not show up… oh, their is an app or system upgrade i need to do, perform the upgrade which dies mid-way or knocks out other components of my system.  When the instructions during upgrade or troubleshooting say “press are release button x” at this point in time, upgrade fails, you try it 2 to three times before realizing that they really mean “press and hold button x”.   15 to 30 minutes later, if i am lucky i am listening to music.      Sonos hardware is great, but the software is some of the poorest i have ever used.   Pretty frustrating.  Sadly, i’ve gone from a fan to purely fearing wanting to listen to music and having to turn on my Sonos system.