Why don't you admit you have a major problem?

• 6 January 2018
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies
I want my money back because I am sick of my non-playing Sonos. I don't care what they say about wi-fi, I don't want to spend my time trying complex reconfigurations on my wi-fi set up because Sonos cannot sort out their own tech. It has got to the point where I am considering taking this to trading standards and the community is so angry that Sonos are going to end up with horrendous reviews on all the tech sites.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 1
I think that I agree with you. I have been reading these questions and topics for quite a while. There never seems to be an explanation or a fix for the problems. I am more than a little disappointed with the whole Sonos set up. I thought that I was purchasing a good brand. My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing a Sonos sound system is Don't!
Userlevel 2
Badge
As a network administrator and code writer I agree. You should not have to reconfigure your network just to fit sonos. I would like my money back and the hour worth of time to try to set up this sloppy garbage. $600.00 hour)
What a load of garbage you are talking. Of course there are problems raised on here, it is what the forum is for. A miniscule proportion of users. And as for the stupid threats.. go ahead,, shoot the bunny.
Personally, I want compensation for the time it took to read this nonsense. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
No garbage many many problems. I want sonos to write their software to fit my system not me reconfigure everything for them. Sonos needs to fit into my environment. Why should I expect any less? According to you John B its just minuscule problem. Why even have a forum if its so small?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As a fellow network administrator (though definitely not as expensive as you), I've had no problems getting Sonos to work with my network. I used it for a long time with regular DHCP addresses... eventually I decided I wanted all of my Sonos devices to have neighboring addresses, so I reserved them all instead (bonus, they're all within the same /29, so I can do network-specific rules that cover all of my Sonos devices with one rule). Didn't have to do this... wanted to.

Of course, I'm running pfSense as my router, which at least has the mind to save ALL DHCP leases (not just reserved ones) to storage, instead of a Ramdisk like most routers (and even when pfSense used a Ramdisk, it would backup the DHCP leases file to storage on a regular basis if desired). That's why rebooting a Sonos system is recommended if you need to reboot your router... so that new leases are properly registered with the router because it doesn't know what it gave out before the reboot, a great recipe for IP address conflicts. But with reserved addresses, that's not a requirement because the router can't give the address to another device in the first place, and reserved addresses are saved to storage, so they persist across reboots.

So that's why some of us long-time Sonos users recommend reserving addresses for Sonos devices. Is it a requirement? Nope. But if you have an ISP-provided gateway (modem + router) and your ISP reboots your router and suddenly your Sonos system has problems, or you frequently have issues with Sonos on your network following an update because the Sonos devices rebooted and got the same address as something else on the network, just know that these are scenarios that aren't usually experienced with reserved IP addresses for Sonos devices.

IMHO, it's the router manufacturers with the crappy software. [sarcasm]Storing a DHCP Leases file on a Ramdisk that gets cleared when the router reboots is one of the biggest pieces of brilliance I've ever seen [/sarcasm].

So that's why some of us long-time Sonos users recommend reserving addresses for Sonos devices. Is it a requirement? Nope.[/sarcasm].

As a user since 2011 whose uptime was significantly enhanced by reserving IP addresses in 2014 and is now above 99% through upgrades, a question for the tech folk here: is Sonos unique in needing this, compared to other wireless audio solutions? If yes, why and what is the upside to then what is a downside?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Simple solution is hard wire one to router, but router is in a not used place so I would have to buy more hardware. Just don't need to spend a lot of time for a device that is of little use. Also seems like have to reboot modem and router weekly. Lots of devices have crappy software
If indeed wiring the router is the other bit of ensuring reliability - I have always done that since Sonos at my home predates the "Look ma, no router wiring" era - Sonos should be promoting it a lot more strongly than they do because it is a unique part of their solution even today.
The cost of doing this is never an issue for some one installing Sonos for its best feature, stable multi room wireless audio, where the cost of the Bridge/Boost gets divided over a few rooms. For single room systems, there usually are simpler and often cheaper wireless solutions, including Bluetooth ones, that are a better fit than Sonos.
Return the product. It is not for you. You fall into the miniscule number of buyers who Sonos is not working for and who seems unwilling to do the most modicum of steps to get it running. And in an ironic twist, you claim to be a network administrator, but you don't seem to be willing to administer your network. So the best you can do is return it, I'm sure Sonos can afford the loss. Here's hoping you find a product that fits your needs.
I'm pretty sure this one is a work. Not once have they actually stated what the problem is. We don't know if they are having problems installing, updating, playing music, dropouts, grouping, nothing. The only thing they seem to be doing is searching other threads for previous advice and telling us they are unwilling to do that.

Ignore it, unless one wants to toy around.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I’m a 60 year old retired Army Colonel with a couple thousand dollars of this stuff in my house. SONOS was so easy to setup and use, even an old fart like me could do it. Love it. That said, I’ve had (and am having) some issues. Troubleshooting and fixing problems is not quite so simple for us uninitiated. For the kind of money we paid for this system, you shouldn’t need to be a network engineer or software developer to correct these problems. “Reserving IP addresses?” “DHCP?” Come on, really? I have a trouble ticket in, for the first time. Can’t wait to see how that goes. Anyone had any experience with SONOS customer support? The fact that they’re not 24/7 has me a little concerned. Am I going to need to hire a techie-to-human translator? ?
Post your concern here, Colonel. The crew here is 24 hours. Thank you for your service.
I’m having the same problem. I have a brand new Samsung TV and I can’t get Sonos to connect to Dolby Digital. It only works when the TV is set to PCM. When on PCM is the Sub barely works.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you. It’s a Google WiFi issue I think. I’ll try to re create the problem and steps I took and get back to you all. Again, thanks for your support.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok folks, I received a reply to my trouble ticket. They reviewed the diagnostic I sent in and saw that my network info was still there and shouldn’t have been. I’m connecting through Boost. I cleared the network info by resetting the wireless settings as directed. So now I get one Play5 connected but not the other. This problem appears to be isolated to the one Play5. I checked “my sonos” and the offending P5 wasn’t listed. I attempted to add it to the network. No joy. I did a factory reset on the P5 and the tried to add it. The controller recognized the P5 as one to add, but after churning for a while, it failed to connect. It recommended that I move closer to the router. It’s about six feet away from the router/Boost. Any ideas? Much thanks in advance.
While the system recognizes that the P5 is there to add, go ahead and run a diagnostic from your system. Add that data to your trouble ticket, and ask them if it's possible that there's a hardware fault on the PLAY:5
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok folks, I received a reply to my trouble ticket. They reviewed the diagnostic I sent in and saw that my network info was still there and shouldn’t have been. I’m connecting through Boost. I cleared the network info by resetting the wireless settings as directed. So now I get one Play5 connected but not the other. This problem appears to be isolated to the one Play5. I checked “my sonos” and the offending P5 wasn’t listed. I attempted to add it to the network. No joy. I did a factory reset on the P5 and the tried to add it. The controller recognized the P5 as one to add, but after churning for a while, it failed to connect. It recommended that I move closer to the router. It’s about six feet away from the router/Boost. Any ideas? Much thanks in advance.
I have a Sonos system working flawlessly with Google Wifi . You need to make sure your Boost is hard-wired with Ethernet into your first Google Wifi station. Do not connect the Boost to your internet provider's router/cable modem/etc. Only connect the Boost to the Google Wifi station (which the connects to your internet provider's router/cable modem/etc).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just so you know. Once hardwired to the Boost and diagnostic run, SONOS tech support identified a failed wireless card. Have the RMA in hand and am told the replacement P5 will arrive within 5 days. I couldn’t expect better support from them or from this forum. Much thanks to you all for the advice.
Userlevel 2
I've had three PLAY:1 speakers for 4 years now, and they have always worked flawlessly (well, except for the time I had a baby camera next to one for a few days... tech support helped me figure out the problem pretty quickly :)

For the last few weeks, one of our PLAY:1s has begun stopping and skipping pretty badly. It's the one we use most, in our living room. We have another in our gym that I use for an hour every morning, and it has no problem. I submitted diagnostics and talked to tech support yesterday, and they confirmed that there is now wifi or radio interference. They just see the PLAY:1 losing a connection. We primarily use Pandora, but I tried Amazon today and the music skips / pauses repeatedly with Amazon as well. It's to the point where it's completely unusable.

All three PLAY:1s are connected to the bridge I originally bought 4 years ago. Tech support asked if I'm running a wireless router with both 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz channels, and if my phone (android with Sonos app) had access to both channels (it does). He recommended I set the phone to only one of the wireless SSIDs, because he said the app and music stop if my phone flaps between the two wireless networks. It made no sense to me, but I tried it anyway today, and it didn't help at all.

Anyway, any ideas? Sonos tech support is closed so I can't get any further troubleshooting done. Since it's isolated to one PLAY:1, I suspect it might have a hardware problem, but wouldn't the tech have been able to diagnose that? Last diagnostic from this morning was 8354229. That was after I powered off / on my entire equipment string (wireless router, bridge, PLAY:1), and it still started skipping / pausing.

Thanks,
John

ETA: I just brought the PLAY:1 in from the garage (our newest PLAY:1) and put it where the living room PLAY:1 was, and it skipped during the very first song. And, now, the second song. The app on my android says "Unable to play xxx, the connection to Pandora was lost."
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had a very similar issue. I’m about as far from a expert as you can get, but when I added a Boost to the system, it cleared up immediately and never returned. It’s amazing how much lower my stress and frustration levels got for less than $100. Worth every cent.
Userlevel 2
I had a very similar issue. I’m about as far from a expert as you can get, but when I added a Boost to the system, it cleared up immediately and never returned. It’s amazing how much lower my stress and frustration levels got for less than $100. Worth every cent.

Did you replace a bridge with Boost, or were you previously using your existing wifi?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Existing WiFi. As I understand it, the Boost establishes a SONOS-dedicated WiFi network that extends the range and eliminates interference with your household WiFi network. Regardless, my stuff was continuously dropping out until I added the Boost. Since that time, over a year ago, no problems and it works an easy 100 feet in all directions. Maybe further, but that’s as far as I needed to go.
I have a SONOS system set up for the office; 2 Play 3 speakers and a Boost (like it even helps), and it's been a hair pulling frustrating experience with the products. It was supposed to be easy, plug, play and forget. It ended up with 'Sonos System Not Found', 'Error Playing Music', 'I ain't Working', 'This Sucks, Throw Me Away Now'. What's the point of selling a wireless network of speakers when you need to connect ethernet cables to the speakers?? Isn't the Boost supposed to help with that?! What's the point of spending extra on something that doesn't help expand the range?? Questions I would like answered from the people at Sonos. I am spreading the word, never get a Sonos, unless you want to lose hair within a matter of days.
Bottom line is IP conflicts on your network, which you probably setup yourself. Easily remedied, but based on your rant, I’d assume you don’t want help so I won’t waste my time or yours.