why does Sonos suck?

• 9 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3

It doesn’t automatically update in the background and continue to work flawlessly like every other electronic device I own. Instead it updated through WiFi, then it loses the WiFi signal it just used to update and makes you plug a speaker in to the router in order to reestablish a WiFi connection?!??! How does that make any sense? I’m always trouble shooting this dinosaur of a system. It’s literally the most frustrating piece of technology in my house, actually in my life. EVERYTHING works better than Sonos. And EVERYONE I know hates it. Grrrrr. Back to listening to music through Bluetooth for now because I don’t want to troubleshoot this stupid Sonos system AGAIN. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Interesting. My system does update up in the background, as I have turned on that option in the controller. I choose, however, to run an update to the controller from the store on much own. Once I set up reserved IP addresses in my router….an issue with the router’s software, not Sonos’, I’ve never had a single connection issue or a need to reconnect a device. But that addressed my particular network issue, unfortunately the network is extremely complex, and any Sonos system will only be as good as the network it’s connected to. 

As for the rest, it sure sounds like a network issue, as has been discussed many times on this forum. If you were to contact Sonos with a diagnostic, it’s entirely possible they could help you resolve these issues. 

Userlevel 3

This is the problem Bruce. We are talking about speakers. Not rockets or cell phones or computers. Speakers. single function speakers.

Why do I need to understand WiFi network issues? Sonos needs to understand WiFi Network issues so I don’t have to. My computer, my peloton, even my kindle update all the time on my “network” and they all operate fine afterward. A phone app that controls my speakers updates and the speakers fail to serve their only purpose. I’m literally just trying to listen to music and you’re telling me I need to call someone at Sonos to discuss my internet. That’s the problem. Music. I’m just trying to listen to music. 

Not single function speakers. Fully networked computers, that need to talk to each other, as well as receive commands from a remote control device, and maintain a steady connection to many potential outside addresses. If you want ‘just speakers’, Sonos certainly  doesn’t fit that bill. 

It remains a network device. Until you fix your network issues, you’ll continue to have these issues. 

Userlevel 3

Call them what you want. These “fully networked computers” don’t work with my TV. They don’t work with my phone if I open youtube or any app on my phone that uses my phone speaker. Even my google home speaker (or “fully networked computer”) works with everything requiring volume that I use (phone apps, my TV); and it updates automatically through my network without telling me to “fix your network issues”. SONOS doesn’t work when it updates and has network issues.   It’s the ONLY device in my home that does this. And it happens regularly. And yes, they’re speakers that don’t even work as well as my google home speakers (or fully networked computer as you call them).

You are right about one thing, I will continue to have these issues. Because it’s the only consistent thing about SONOS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Call them what you want. These “fully networked computers” don’t work with my TV. They don’t work with my phone if I open youtube or any app on my phone that uses my phone speaker. Even my google home speaker (or “fully networked computer”) works with everything requiring volume that I use (phone apps, my TV); and it updates automatically through my network without telling me to “fix your network issues”. SONOS doesn’t work when it updates and has network issues.   It’s the ONLY device in my home that does this. And it happens regularly. And yes, they’re speakers that don’t even work as well as my google home speakers (or fully networked computer as you call them).

You are right about one thing, I will continue to have these issues. Because it’s the only consistent thing about SONOS. 

So to better understand the comments from @Airgetlam please see my post here: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

EVERYTHING works better than Sonos.

You are probably correct - although it may not actually be “everything” -  as you also are about expecting Sonos to perform like what their purpose is - home audio speakers.

But there is one thing that Sonos still does better than any other WiFi speaker system and that is play music from a source in perfect sync across up to 32 zones/rooms - or, as in my modest case, across 4 parts of a large open plan apartment central core in a way that fills the entire space with music without it sounding too loud anywhere.

And the price to be paid for that unique feature is the complexity that results in hiccups of the kind you see. These CAN be fixed, but it takes some effort at times.

If you do not want this feature that is a Sonos USP, sure, there are simpler solutions at price points below and above Sonos.

And yes, they’re speakers that don’t even work as well as my google home speakers

I think that Google speakers lack an audio out, so one is tied to their sound quality. An Echo Show 5 or 8 on the other hand will do decent standalone sound for places like kitchens, but can also move into a HiFi environment by simply bypassing its built in speakers and providing a line level signal to feed the audio in jacks abundant in said environment. That makes it a great source device, that does album art, and voice if needed; voice is not even a must. As I said, what it does not do quite so well is grouped play, but at its price point, that is no bummer.

I have found Echo devices to “just work” as far as WiFi stability is concerned. Sonos does that too, but Echo tends to be more fit and forget.