Why does Sonos radio briefly skip on Sonos 1?

• 5 December 2021
  • 12 replies

As I impatiently await an update about why Apple Music can no longer be used as a service on Android devices, why does Sonos radio skip? Anyone else noticed this? 

When I listen to Sonos Hits radio for example, every song will skip for about 1-2 seconds cutting out the song. It skips at exactly the same bit each time to the point that you get to know each individual songs ''bit to skip" and you begin to expect it when listening to the song out with Sonos radio. It's not random skips which makes me think it's not my Wi-Fi. 

Can't use Apple to listen to their non skipping radio stations and now this.......quality products??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

There have been some reports of problems when adding Apple Music to Sonos on Android, quite possibly due to an issue on the Apple side. Once the service is added it works fine from the Android Sonos app. Perhaps you could borrow a friend’s iPhone temporarily. 

As for the Sonos Radio dropouts, post the song in question. I don’t use Sonos Radio, well not HD, but someone may be able to try and reproduce. Alternatively submit a system diagnostic after a glitch and post the confirmation number so Sonos Support can follow up.     

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

same issue here with Sonos radio, Mistletoe and Wine & Holidaze both the same issue with a skip as op

What did Sonos say when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them to look at it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Will do that now j(thought you had to be contacted by customer care team first?) but was just waiting to hear if OP had any response. Spotify and Tunein both work fine so something to do with the Sonos Radio app possibly?

It might be helpful if you were to review the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, you’ll find that it is a push system, not a pull system. 

There’s no difference in the ‘app’ playing Spotify, TuneIn, or anything else in your speaker. There are differing tolerances on the server side for disruptions such as caused by wifi interference , but that’s again not decided locally by the player / app on the speaker. I could easily see that Sonos Radio (or the service they’re using to host that data) might be overly sensitive, but since there aren’t a plethora of complaints being posted every hour, it does suggest a smaller sized, and potentially local issue. 

But whatever the issue may be, you’ll get much better information from submitting a diagnostic, and having someone look at it. 

One thing I would perhaps try here, is to change the router WiFi channel in use... set the routers 2.4Ghz band to use either channel 1, 6 or 11 and set a channel-width of 20MHz.

If using a SonosNet connection instead, then try the following three things aswell:

• Set the device wired to the router so that it is at least 1 metre away from the router.
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Apps network settings, so it is at least 5 channels away from the chosen router channel.
  • If not using Sonos Roam/Move (portable) products in the setup, then remove the local WiFi credentials from the ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ of the Sonos App as these are not usually needed when running non-portable products on SonosNet. This should help prevent devices hopping between a SonosNet signal and the local WiFi signal.

See if that stops the audio-dropouts.🤞

Same with me, only Sonos Radio skips periodically, not other services! 

Curious to know what Sonos said when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them with the number associated?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

But 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@leedebs: Have you contacted the support team?

Userlevel 7

@leedebs If you submit a diagnostic and don’t contact Sonos Support directly yourself, or don’t paste the diagnostic number here on the forum for a Sonos employee to eventually look at, nothing will happen with the submitted diagnostic. You do not have to wait until Sonos ask you to submit a diagnostic.

The quickest way to get Sonos to review the diagnostic is by contacting them yourself directly and quoting the diagnostic number you have already submitted.

Contact | Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@leedebs If you submit a diagnostic and don’t contact Sonos Support directly yourself, or don’t paste the diagnostic number here on the forum for a Sonos employee to eventually look at, nothing will happen with the submitted diagnostic. You do not have to wait until Sonos ask you to submit a diagnostic.

The quickest way to get Sonos to review the diagnostic is by contacting them yourself directly and quoting the diagnostic number you have already submitted.

Contact | Sonos

ok thanks will do