Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

kind of spooky...

157 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The diagnostic above was a few minutes after the incident and I was sleeping during that time. So any play action you may have seen in the last one hour period is suspicious. I have manually paused it from my phone when I woke up so that last action is to be expected.
Off of that diagnostic, 20 minutes prior to the diagnostic submission timestamp, a Spotify app told the player to start playing music through Spotify Connect. I can't tell you which account or device sent it, but someone who was on or had been on your wifi used their Spotify app to start playing. Anyone else have the wireless credentials or have been over recently?
I was sleeping during that time..... .I have been known to press all sorts of buttons while dozing off.....
Same issue for me. Super loud music at 2am. I told Alexa to turn it off, which worked for a second then it came back on.

Diagnostic 119473295
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, smun. Thanks for sharing your diagnostic report. It seems this diagnostic report came back incomplete. This usually points to network problems, but before we jump to any conclusions lets see if we can try one more time to catch a full diagnostic report.

Next time this happens, submit another diagnostic report and reply with your new report number. I'll be happy to have another closer look. Thanks!
My sonos system (playbase and two play:1) just started playing on its own. A song I know and play somewhat routinely through Apple Music. But my phone was laying 30 feet from me, charging , in Do Not Disturb mode.

Diagnostic number: 554270108.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, dr slaw. Thanks for the diagnostics. They showed heavy WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues, though this would not account for unwanted playback. Much the opposite, usually it would disrupt playback that you do want. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to help you further. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Just experienced the Sonos playing on it own. 12:40am ? - indigo girl, closer to fine.

Woke me up. Any info in the data?

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
This has happened to mine twice overnight, please could someone check 1854147491
Happened to me . My wife was screaming. Like horror music. Any answer sonos?
Since this has never been exposed as an actual Sonos software problem, but a variety of external inputs, from Spotify Connect (is that the name?), to TV's turning on for firmware updates, to alarms not cleared properly, it would be hard for Sonos to answer, without a diagnostic from your system. If they have that, they can see what prompted your Sonos to start playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Also cats and small children have been identified as causes too, but its most commonly Spotify as Bruce says.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The diagnostic within 10 minutes and then directly (not here) contacting Sonos support (see the contact page for options) would be my suggestion.

My Beam also starts playing by itself. It happens about half an hour to an hour after we turn of the tv. Not always but more than sometimes.

I never play Spotfiy. I always play songs right of my phone or my NAS. The songs that start playing by themselves are the songs I played the last through my android app.

The two last times:
30/05/2019 round 17u-18u: diagnostics rapport: 956711032
30/05/2019 22u45 diagnostics rapport 1786817551
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Double-U-Dee, on both of those diagnostics the player was sent a play command from the IP address of a Synology device on your network to load and play a song. It's most likely you have an app installed on that device (likely a NAS drive) which triggered the playback to start. From the command that's trying to load a song I'd start with looking at /../webman/3rdparty/AudioStation/webUI/
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll keep a close eye on it 🙂
I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016
Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Called it. Just sayin'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Called it. Just sayin'.
Internally, we called the setting to turn off the speaker touch controls "cat mode" because of the number of times a pet sitting on a warm player would trigger volume or playback changes.
@Ryan S

After nine years, my cat finally crawled into the back of the media rack (it has a locked front door) and was sleeping against the Sonos Connect units. Caught him today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Caught red hand-pawed! Well if you find that you don't use the buttons on the units themselves, under Room Settings you can disable the buttons. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out some other way to prevent the cat from getting to them...
I ended up purchasing a cat bed that was heated, so my cat, who loved any heat he could sit on, had a place other than the top of my speakers. 🙂 Then Sonos came out with the ability to turn off the buttons, but by then, my cat was too old to get up on top of the speakers, and liked his heated bed too much.

Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...

@Ryan S So what is my solution if I use Spotify solely to play music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If Spotify keeps triggering playback from one of your devices that was connected, the best way to disconnect is to just play something else. All Sonos systems have Internet Radio on them, just play 2 seconds of any station. It'll disconnect the active Spotify Direct Control session, and you won't have to worry about someone else starting up a stream.