Why does my sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

67 replies

Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013
I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll keep a close eye on it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Double-U-Dee, on both of those diagnostics the player was sent a play command from the IP address of a Synology device on your network to load and play a song. It's most likely you have an app installed on that device (likely a NAS drive) which triggered the playback to start. From the command that's trying to load a song I'd start with looking at /../webman/3rdparty/AudioStation/webUI/
My Beam also starts playing by itself. It happens about half an hour to an hour after we turn of the tv. Not always but more than sometimes.

I never play Spotfiy. I always play songs right of my phone or my NAS. The songs that start playing by themselves are the songs I played the last through my android app.

The two last times:
30/05/2019 round 17u-18u: diagnostics rapport: 956711032
30/05/2019 22u45 diagnostics rapport 1786817551
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The diagnostic within 10 minutes and then directly (not here) contacting Sonos support (see the contact page for options) would be my suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also cats and small children have been identified as causes too, but its most commonly Spotify as Bruce says.
Since this has never been exposed as an actual Sonos software problem, but a variety of external inputs, from Spotify Connect (is that the name?), to TV's turning on for firmware updates, to alarms not cleared properly, it would be hard for Sonos to answer, without a diagnostic from your system. If they have that, they can see what prompted your Sonos to start playing.
Happened to me . My wife was screaming. Like horror music. Any answer sonos?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This has happened to mine twice overnight, please could someone check 1854147491
Just experienced the Sonos playing on it own. 12:40am ? - indigo girl, closer to fine.

Woke me up. Any info in the data?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, dr slaw. Thanks for the diagnostics. They showed heavy WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues, though this would not account for unwanted playback. Much the opposite, usually it would disrupt playback that you do want. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to help you further. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
My sonos system (playbase and two play:1) just started playing on its own. A song I know and play somewhat routinely through Apple Music. But my phone was laying 30 feet from me, charging , in Do Not Disturb mode.

Diagnostic number: 554270108.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, smun. Thanks for sharing your diagnostic report. It seems this diagnostic report came back incomplete. This usually points to network problems, but before we jump to any conclusions lets see if we can try one more time to catch a full diagnostic report.

Next time this happens, submit another diagnostic report and reply with your new report number. I'll be happy to have another closer look. Thanks!
Same issue for me. Super loud music at 2am. I told Alexa to turn it off, which worked for a second then it came back on.

Diagnostic 119473295
I was sleeping during that time..... .I have been known to press all sorts of buttons while dozing off.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The diagnostic above was a few minutes after the incident and I was sleeping during that time. So any play action you may have seen in the last one hour period is suspicious. I have manually paused it from my phone when I woke up so that last action is to be expected.
Off of that diagnostic, 20 minutes prior to the diagnostic submission timestamp, a Spotify app told the player to start playing music through Spotify Connect. I can't tell you which account or device sent it, but someone who was on or had been on your wifi used their Spotify app to start playing. Anyone else have the wireless credentials or have been over recently?
I am quite certain that noone else in my wifi has ever used this speaker. I wonder if you can point me to log files. I might make sense out of different play triggers and timestamps.

Only my Spotify account is connected to my system .
This is in fact irrelevant. If anyone in your household has allowed anyone else to connect to your wifi and play from their Spotify app using Spotify Connect, then what Ryan describes is possible. It does not involve your Spotify account at all. I have no way of knowing if that has actually happened, obviously
Hey Ryan,

Only my Spotify account is connected to my system so if this was from Spotify it should be coming from my account.

I don't have any pets or anything so it's less likely that the play button on the speaker was pressed unless if a fly can do it.

The diagnostic above was a few minutes after the incident and I was sleeping during that time. So any play action you may have seen in the last one hour period is suspicious. I have manually paused it from my phone when I woke up so that last action is to be expected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi spottihamdi, I'm seeing several play commands coming from a Spotify app. If you've had any friends connected to your system playing Spotify from their app, make sure you play from another service after they leave to disconnect them. This is a good thing to do even if it was just your phone to prevent any accidental plays. Also, it could be something pressing the play button, as I see a few triggers coming from there. If possible, can you send a diagnostic within a few minutes of this happening? That way we know which time stamp to look for.
Same issue happened to me in the middle of the night.
Really creepy.

Same issue. Happened twice just now on our Play1’s. Started two weeks ago and at that time it was in the middle of the night. We use Spotify and checked that no alarm is set in Sonos.

So it’s the same like 15-20 songs playing. I don’t think it’s from my Spotify. My husband said it could possibly be from his but he is 1.5 hours away with his phone and our laptop is shut down.
So I just need to change Spotify password?
Random!!

See here. Finally make sure that you and your husband have logged out everywhere.
So it’s the same like 15-20 songs playing. I don’t think it’s from my Spotify. My husband said it could possibly be from his but he is 1.5 hours away with his phone and our laptop is shut down.
So I just need to change Spotify password?
Random!!