Question

why does my sonos system keep losing connection?

Show first post

232 replies

Finally! After my Sonos performing flawlessly for years it stopped responding and a reset would have it working for a few hours and then it would lose connection causing the controller to endlessly search for the system. I did something simple: I changed my Ethernet cable and moved the bridge a little bit away from the router. Voila! It works and has been working for about a month. I even purchased a play1 for a bathroom because it has been functioning so flawless. Try switching the joke of a Ethernet cable that comes with the sonos bridge (or speaker) for a normal shielded cable. This fixed my issue completely.
SONOS HELP PERSONNEL - stop trying to pretend that this is a bunch of individual setup problems. There are many people, like me, who have had very excellent and stable systems running until the recent update. we are all experiencing the same problems now - intermittent use, instability, lost components. This is a software problem related to the last update. PLEASE PUBLISH A MEANS TO ROLL BACK THE LAST UPDATE....you can figure out how to add your new features without introducing bugs at your leisure, but in the meantime, there are many unhappy users out here, and we do not appreciate you telling us that we have all spontaneously unplugged something or miraculously gotten simultaneous wifi interference issues.
The fix just posted worked for me, too -- changing the flat white ribbon Ethernet cable and moving the SONOS bridge away from other wireless router sources. I tried all the other things mentioned in this thread and the website with no luck and was ready to give up, but since completing the above two maneuvers plus re-initializing my library (see below) -- VOILA! everything has worked flawlessly, just like the good old days, for almost a month. I think somehow the new software update made the bridge MUCH more sensitive to interference. I would suggest obtaining a long SHIELDED Ethernet cable and moving the bridge as far away as possible from other sources of wireless interference in the 802.11b spectrum (e.g., other wireless routers, phones, microwaves). The reason I think I had to reinitialize my library is that the Sonos software forgot it was there, possibly because of creation of multiple similarly named libraries that were created each time the dropped connection forced a controller reboot. (I think the Sonos controller must have forgotten about my library many times over.) So this is what I did -- first, I renamed the computer to a temporary dummy name. Then, I renamed it back to the original computer name in effect when the original music library was created (this is important I think, because the music library name incorporates the computer name). The, I rebooted the computer and relaunched the controller software (after doing the hardware fix above), at which point the controller rediscovered the missing library. I haven't had a missing library problem since! Maybe this step wasn't necessary or maybe there is a more elegant way to accomplish this, but it worked for me. Please post if this solution does/does not work for you so others can benefit! Good luck to all....
We are having an issue with Sonos generating an "error: cannot find disk 3" on a Mac Pro. Sonos is loosing connection to iTunes @ every 3 weeks. We have spent time with your tech support remapping the drive. We have sent in the logs. What is the solution? Sonos is running 4.1 and the Mac OS is 10.7.5
Badge
I'm not sure what direction would be best for all of us regarding this issue. When it works, it's great! But when it doesn't, it sucks. Since my last post, I haven't had a bit of trouble . . . knock on wood for me please! As I posted before, for me, it took deleting my whole music library and reloading it with the CD's I was lucky enough to still have. Since doing that, my music library plays just like it used to before I bought my new wireless computer. Personally, I think it's a formatting issue whenever a change is made to a newer computer. Maybe I'm tooting out my you know what here, but (for me) this solution worked, at least as far as I know. So far, that's been the case. I, of course, had to figure that out all on my own, so SONOS was of no help whatsoever. I hope my contribution to this situation has helped someone else. I'd be curious if anyone else had the same problem I did and if deleting some of your music and reloading it worked for you.
I have had to remove and re-add the fileshares from my media center a few times in the past and thats worked for me in the past. Not exactly the same but similar.
Badge
I'm not sure what direction would be best for all of us regarding this issue. When it works, it's great! But when it doesn't, it sucks. Since my last post, I haven't had a bit of trouble . . . knock on wood for me please! As I posted before, for me, it took deleting my whole music library and reloading it with the CD's I was lucky enough to still have. Since doing that, my music library plays just like it used to before I bought my new wireless computer. Personally, I think it's a formatting issue whenever a change is made to a newer computer. Maybe I'm tooting out my you know what here, but (for me) this solution worked, at least as far as I know. So far, that's been the case. I, of course, had to figure that out all on my own, so SONOS was of no help whatsoever. I hope my contribution to this situation has helped someone else. I'd be curious if anyone else had the same problem I did and if deleting some of your music and reloading it worked for you.
Just reread my comment and to clarify I removed the fileshares from Sonos not from my media center.
Im experiencing the same issues as above. Bought x 3 Play 1s and a bridge on the weekend. All working fine until yesterday and now system keeps dropping off. I am connecting the bridge via a Bt router. I cant see the system on idevices but can see it intermittently on my mac so sent a diagnostics report under code 3234829 whilst I still could. Help please. For such a renowned brand and reassuringly expensive price, i was not expecting this.