Question

why does my sonos system keep losing connection?

I have had my system for a few years. It worked fine. Two weeks ago, the system would not connect. I have a sonos controller, plus use the apps on my iphone and ipad to control it. I also use the imac controller from the desktop. None of the devices or computer could access the system. I had to reset the entire system, walking around the house adding each room back in. this worked for a few days, and now it the same thing is happening. I can't access the system. Please help!

232 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, I see you've been in contact with our support team and it is my understanding that this issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you have any additional issues or if there is anything else we can assist you with. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
I have had the same issue and submitted the same descriptions to support but no one has responded. Please help guys.
I have the same issue, was here looking for how to solve it.
Same problem here. This is very frustrating. Lots of devices that keep losing connection. Can't this be done with a username and password, like the Nest, so you can always get into Sonos no matter where you are?
Userlevel 1
On occasion, and more frequently lately, the sound on my system goes in and out, that is some devices stop playing while other speakers continue playing. Can you lose signal strength on only some devices? What needs to be done?
If you have a solution to this, why not share it with the rest of the community?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello Keith, There is most likely some wireless interference affecting the communication between the devices. If you can, please submit a diagnostics report from your system and reply here with the confirmation number. You can find instructions here. I would then suggest changing the wireless channel that Sonos is using to see if it improves things. If it does not, please submit another diagnostics. Instructions for changing the wireless channel can be found on this Answers page. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Same problem here. This is very frustrating. Lots of devices that keep losing connection. Can't this be done with a username and password, like the Nest, so you can always get into Sonos no matter where you are?
Hello, Can you describe the problem a bit more? Do you have multiple Sonos devices and only a select few lose their connection? Does the entire system drop? Do you see any messages on your controller? When the devices drop, what do you have to do to bring them back online? If you're able to, please submit a diagnostics reprt from your system and reply here with the confirmation number. You can find instructions here. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If you have a solution to this, why not share it with the rest of the community?
Hello, Each problem is different and unfortunately we cannot provide a single solution that will fix everyone's problem. In the case of the original poster, it appears it was a printer that was causing problems. If you provide some more detail about the issue you are having, I would be more than happy to assist you in getting it resolved. Please provide a diagnostics report as they are extremely useful in finding out the root cause of a particular problem. You can find instructions for submitting diagnostics here. Make sure to reply here with the confirmation number you receive. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, I have responded to the thread you have created and also sent a follow-up email. Please respond back to my email and we'll get your problem resolved. Thanks, Azur
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, If the problem is the same as the original poster, where no Sonos components could be found and the message you received was 'Searching for Sonos system', the most likely cause is that the wired Sonos device has lost it's connection to your router. This would be the first place to check. Do you have a BRIDGE wired into your router? If so, please try changing the port that the BRIDGE plugs into on the router when this issue returns. If that does not resolve it, try a different Ethernet cable. If both of the above fail to bring the system back up, try wiring a different Sonos device into your router. If you're able to get the system back up, please submit a diagnostics report and reply here with the confirmation number you receive. You can find instructions for submitting diagnostics here. Thanks!
Thank you for the reply. I do have a Bridge plugged into the router. For a few days I was able to reconnect the controller to the Bridge, but now when I attempt to do so, the controller never finds the bridge at all. I'll try plugging it into a different port as you suggest and go from there. I'll be back with results (and a diagnostic report if I can connect) later tonight as I'm at work currently. Thanks again.
Badge
Hi All, I have the same issue. Just had everything installed today, amps, player 5, 2 sound bards, woofer, etc. After 6 hours i was only able to keep the amp connected to the controller and play pandora. I've never been able to get the sound bar and woofer connected through the bridge or even find them for that matter. Typical error messages are: Searching for sonos components and never finds, Bridge Added, registration or update fails. Consistently loses connection to the point that i reset almost every time...Can send some diagnostics reports in the morning
Badge
Few minor edits...was able to get the amp to play two in ceiling speakers, nothing sonos has played thus far through the bridge. Quite frustrating
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Few minor edits...was able to get the amp to play two in ceiling speakers, nothing sonos has played thus far through the bridge. Quite frustrating
Hello tayd, It sounds like your system has not been properly setup yet. I would suggests contacting our support team by phone so we can get everything working for you. You can find our contact information on the following link: http://www.sonos.com/contact Thanks!
Unfortunately I did switch the router port, and not much has changed. The controller did at least find the system this time, but didn't stay connected long enough to do anything (play any music, do a diagnostic, etc). I haven't been able to get it to connect again. I'll try wiring one of the players directly into the router this weekend to see if that works.
I was unable to connect to the Bridge at all again. So I wired the Play:5 directly to the router. This worked for a short period of time, long enough to connect, do a diagnostic report and start playing music... but halfway through the first song I played, the connection was lost and I can't get it back again. The diagnostic report is number 3106607. Please advise on how to proceed. Right now the system is useless and VERY frustrating.
Badge
Same problem here. This is the second time that I need to completely reset my system. Sonos needs to find an answer to this. Entire System fails and nothing can be found. Seems to be a software issues since this is happening so broadly and not a wireless interference. Please let me know when you have a complete fix to this!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, I will send you an email directly so we can continue troubleshooting and figure out where the problem is. Please reply back to my email and we'll come up with a resolution. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Same problem here. This is the second time that I need to completely reset my system. Sonos needs to find an answer to this. Entire System fails and nothing can be found. Seems to be a software issues since this is happening so broadly and not a wireless interference. Please let me know when you have a complete fix to this!
Hello Randall, I will be sending you an email so we can gather some more information about your system and see where the fault is. I'm sure we can come up with a resolution for you. Thanks!
I have also experienced intermittent connection between Sonos equipment and my router using IPADS/Touch as controllers, with signalling falling off. Sometimes the touch works, but not IPADS & other way around as well. Otherwise, every piece of sonos hardware equipment works and wi-fi for other non-sonos products are excellent. Only conclusion I can reach, particularly since internet forums are complaining of same issues, is the data packages coming from Sonos via the ISPs are faulty and what Sonos needs to pull their fingers out and sort is an update to their software. Rebooting the router clears the cache but since Sonos are evidently sending out faulty signals, the problem soon comes back. My BT ISP are right in saying they do not distort or corrupt any signals going into the router. Router either works or it doesn't. The problem only began a week ago for me, following faultless connections over the last year I have owned the sound system. Since I subscribe to internet music services, I'm paying out money wastefully and shall soon be expecting compensation from Sonos.
I have also experienced intermittent connection between Sonos equipment and my router using IPADS/Touch as controllers, with signalling falling off. Sometimes the touch works, but not IPADS & other way around as well. Otherwise, every piece of sonos hardware equipment works and wi-fi for other non-sonos products are excellent. Only conclusion I can reach, particularly since internet forums are complaining of same issues, is the data packages coming from Sonos via the ISPs are faulty and what Sonos needs to pull their fingers out and sort is an update to their software. Rebooting the router clears the cache but since Sonos are evidently sending out faulty signals, the problem soon comes back. My BT ISP are right in saying they do not distort or corrupt any signals going into the router. Router either works or it doesn't. The problem only began a week ago for me, following faultless connections over the last year I have owned the sound system. Since I subscribe to internet music services, I'm paying out money wastefully and shall soon be expecting compensation from Sonos.
The problems seems to be all over the country which is more than just a coincidence!
Userlevel 1
Right on, Jason! This has been a problem only within the last 4-6 weeks for me after years of faultless connections.
Userlevel 1
Another new problem. After repeated tries to send a diagnostic to Azur, I keep getting same error message "unable to send diagnostics at this time. try again later."