why does my sonos keep dropping out ?

Various times when playing music from my library's or radio the unit seems to disconnect and system states unable to detect/connect to sonos device ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A few things - first make sure that the Sonos network is not operating on a wireless channel being interfereed with by your home router.  Check to see what channel the Sonos is on and what channel your Home wireless is on and keep them about 4 channels apart.  If you have close neighbors use a program to scan ssid's and see what channel they are operating on to avoid theirs as well.

You can submit a diagnostic from the controller and call Sonos and they will look at your network for issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Jim,

Chris made some great suggestions. Wireless interference can be a big culprit of audio drop outs and can be easily fixed by ensuring that your Sonos system and your network are not conflicting with one another. (i.e Sonos on channel 1 and your router on 11)

Changing Channels:
Sonos-
Take a look at this page to help you change Sonos' wireless channel.

Another suggestions would be to separate your wireless router and the wired Sonos devices by three or more feet, or as far as the ethernet cable allows, will improve response and connectivity of the system. If you have a 2.4ghz or DECT cordless phone, please ensure that they are at least 10-15 feet away from the Sonos devices. Do not place the Sonos devices on top of other electronics.

Please also submit a diagnostic after these tests and after you experience an issue. I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here.
wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or jump on this one.

I'm having similar issues - been like this for ages now. I have a single play 3, wireless connected to my router. On a consistent basis it appears to drop connection to my network and "goes missing" (app says it can't find it, then it re-appears)

I use Deezer and Tunein Radio normally but I get around 5/10/15 mins listening before it stops playing all together - that's on deezer and tunein radio. I have tried reseting router/app, changing channels on router, moving any DECT phones away. All to no avail.

No issues with router dropping signals etc for anything else in the house - a bit stumped - great piece of kits but very frustrated at present with it!

Submitted diagnostics- Your confirmation number is: 4906879.

Any help would be great.
How far from the router is the play:3?
How far from the router is the play:3?

about 4 or 5 meters

Signal strength is showing as

Noise Floor: -107, -113, -109
OFDM ANI level: 1
I often have the same issue and have tried all of the above. Would a Boost solve this issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I often have the same issue and have tried all of the above. Would a Boost solve this issue?

Hi MickeyG,

A BOOST doesn't necessarily solve wireless issues, but it has a strong wifi signal which can work through them at times. We'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic for you. Please follow the directions here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number if you'd like a hand.
My Sonos worked great for the first month, then all of a sudden the system would start dropping audio while watching TV, and then it started dropping while streaming music. I walked through all of the troubleshooting steps I found in this forum, even reset the entire system to factory default to no avail. I finally started looking through all of the settings through my iOS app, and found a setting for Audio Compression. It is set to auto by default so I tried setting it to compressed but the audio was still dropping. I then set it to uncompressed and my system has been working like new ever since. I will update this post if things change but if anyone is still having issues you might want to try this setting. You have nothing to loose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My Sonos worked great for the first month, then all of a sudden the system would start dropping audio while watching TV, and then it started dropping while streaming music. I walked through all of the troubleshooting steps I found in this forum, even reset the entire system to factory default to no avail. I finally started looking through all of the settings through my iOS app, and found a setting for Audio Compression. It is set to auto by default so I tried setting it to compressed but the audio was still dropping. I then set it to uncompressed and my system has been working like new ever since. I will update this post if things change but if anyone is still having issues you might want to try this setting. You have nothing to loose.

Just adding to this the Audio Compression settings only affect line-in audio playback, and audio from the Sonos DOCK.
Userlevel 2
Badge
There are 10+ WIFI networks around me. How does Sonos think I can get my own channel without interference, without anyone else using that channel or one or two channels next to it? This might work in a farm house in Texas, not in a city.
Interference is inherent in the unlicensed 2,4GHz band. It would have to be overwhelming for a Sonos player to lose the connection entirely and do a soft restart.

Some people simply have to use alternative connection methods, such as hardwiring the units or exploiting Ethernet-over-Powerline.
New to the party but have read with interest existing posts.

Have set up a 6 channel Sonos Connect system for multi-room audio in a basement area;
Power to non-Sonos speakers is provided by 16-channel amp;
Sonos boxes are hardwired to the amp which in turn is hardwired to speakers;
6 Sonos' are networked and wirelessly connected to a Cox Contour router/modem;
Contour router is on the top shelf of a 48 inch wide plastic rack with 4 shelves;
6 Sonos boxes are evenly spaced on the shelf below;
Amplifier is on the shelf below Sonos;
Equipment rack is in proximity to 2 electrical service panels, base station for camera surveillance, and furnace controlled by wireless thermostats;

Like others posting here, the Sonos system experiences intermittent dropouts resulting in music failure to the remote speakers. Its not like the connectivity is permanently lost just that it comes and goes?!

I have read about physically separating the Sonos units from the Contour router/modem.
Since the Sonos' are wirelessly networked, they can be physically separated from the Contour fairly readily.
Ideally, how far apart should the Sonos be separated from each other? Distance is somwhat limited by the length of the interconnects supplied and the need for all Sonos' to be connected to the amp.
Any other "Tips & Tricks" would be appreciated.

I will also be checking what channels the router and Sonos networks use.
6 Sonos' are networked and wirelessly connected to a Cox Contour router/modem
Why on earth aren't the CONNECT's wired, rather than connecting wirelessly? You could daisy-chain 3 of them out of one router port. The other 3 out of another port.

Although it's not officially sanctioned, in such circumstances you could disable the radios on all the CONNECTs, saving power and heat dissipation. Google for the directions.
6 Sonos' are networked and wirelessly connected to a Cox Contour router/modem
Why on earth aren't the CONNECT's wired, rather than connecting wirelessly? You could daisy-chain 3 of them out of one router port. The other 3 out of another port.

Although it's not officially sanctioned, in such circumstances you could disable the radios on all the CONNECTs, saving power and heat dissipation. Google for the directions.

Well, after spending a couple of hours on the phone with Sonos Tech, it was determined that a connection could NOT be made when the Sonos' were hardwired and daisy chained to the Contour router/modem. I am aware that wired connections are preferred where possible and use this configuration for my home computers, etc. NOTE: Need to check if there is more than one output jack on the router/modem.

The wireless setup worked for awhile. Not sure why the connection failure periodically.

May try hardwiring one Sonos to the modem/router and then networking the other 5 wirelessly but putting as much distance between the one Sonos and the modem/router and as much as possible between the other 5 Sonos'.

With all the other devices networked, could it more likely be a channel designation issue than connectivity of the Sonos'?
I have 10 Sonos Speakers of various Models and a Boost. Seriously this drop out thing is pissing me off big time. I live out in the Country - no neighbours anywhere near us, so Interference from them - rubbish. No corless phones - so rubbish to that too. Frankly, for an investment like I have made in Sonos Products I not only expect better than systemic issues I demand it. If you build a system based on wifi technology then research into the invironmental influences such as interference and distances from other devices etc is fundamental and mandated at engineering stage - not something you explain to customers after they have purchased. Jeez, it's like telling someone not to drive on freeways at 100kmph if they have wheel shudder because you omitted to engineer the wheel properly. Next point, the latest app is a nightmare, what Einstein came up with those stupid unintuitive change. Can we have some customer focus please and less Redbull and Pizza in the Developer Dept, clearly they have wings growing on their back..!
Badge
This issue has been going on for years now and it’s not getting any better. Sonos really needs to address this a.s.a.p. but i’m doubting they will. I have invested in 6 different kinds of speakers plus a Sonos Boost (hoping that would fix it) and still I have constant audio dropouts, speakers which are stereo connected loosing connection, and its really has become a system of annoyances. There is nothing else on channel 11 in my neighborhood and its hooked to a 100 mbit fiber connection. The Sonos system has become a piece of crap and I’m selling it now! @SONOS If you are listening; hire better software engineers, because the once you currently have seems to be garbage or just plain lazy!
Badge +1
Hate to have to join yet another thread about this but I'm positive this problem only began after an app update. Which means I can't fix this myself. I have the full 5.1 setup and play 1's throughout my home. It was flawless for so long, they released an app update (I think version 4.6 or something) and then I get random drop outs of my rears and probably my sub too. There's so many posts about this and it doesn't look like it's getting resolved.
I'd highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and call in to Sonos to discuss. That would give Sonos some additional information about your system, and perhaps enable them to give you more assistance.
Submitted diagnostics re speakers dropping out - number: 8447949
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Still Mark. Thanks for submitting a diagnostic report. Based on my findings, it seems your local network is using a couple wireless extenders. Are these set up to be in Bridge mode? What is the make and model of these extenders?

Thanks!