Answered

Why does my 12 hour mp3 file stop playing at 3 hours 44 minutes and 26 seconds?

• 29 January 2017
  • 14 replies

Badge
I have a 12 hour mp3 file of an ambient background recording that I would like to play on my PLAY:5. But the file will only play for 3 hours 44 minutes and 26 seconds. My system is running Sonos Controller for PC (BETA) version 7.0 Build 34734221 and the speaker's hardware version is 1.13.1.7-1.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 31 January 2017, 18:37

Thanks for the details Ekho, you've stumbled into an issue that we're aware of with tracks larger than 500 MBs. It should be resolved in the next version of the Sonos software, 7.2. The public beta for this software should now be live, so feel free to join the public beta and test it out to see if your tracks are working properly.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I would not have thought this would be the reason, but you might as well update your system to the latest software version and see what happens.
Badge
This morning I received the alert that there was an update available, updated, and no change.
Badge
I would post the version and build number, but "Your message contains characters or content that cannot be posted. Please adjust the content, or contact one of our moderators."
That is irritating. The forum was bombarded with fake telephone helpline spam a while back and the filters against that tend to reject any post with lots of numbers in it. The build number is useless anyway. Everything should be on v7.1. Just something to eliminate. I have no idea what else could be causing the issue. I assume the problem is exclusive to Sonos?
Badge
If my exclusive to Sonos the meaning is when played with the Sonos client, then yes. Every other mp3 player is able to playback the full 12 hours. I have had to resort to setting up the Play:5 to use the external input connected to an iPhone's headphone jack. I've also played the file successfully with Windows mp3 players.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Ekho, can you try playing that track and when it stops send a diagnostic for us? Directions are here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and let us know the confirmation number.

Also, where is that track saved? If it's on your computer or NAS drive, is that device set to go to sleep after a certain time?
Badge
I have played the file via a Plex server and from the NAS as a network drive. When the file loads, the Sonos app shows the file's duration at 3:44:26, which is how long it plays. So it is not that my device goes to sleep. The file size is 743 MB and encoded with LAME 3.99r, Variable Bit Rate -V 2.

I have tried a similar file; 10 hours in duration, 726 MB in size, LAME 3.99r, Variable Bit Rate -V 2. The Sonos player thinks this file is 2 hours, 4 minutes, and 23 seconds in length.

The diagnostic confirmation number is: 7052879.
Following.
Not that this should be necessary, but......I wonder what would happen if you re-encoded at a fixed bitrate. I have a vague recollection of Sonos showing an incorrect track length on (much shorter) VBR files in the past.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'd be inclined to check the ID tags - There is one for file length. Make sure that is correct
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For such a long length of time, that file is probably pretty big. I wonder if that amount of time correlates to a file size limit of some sort? You mention that you're using a PC for the controller. Is it safe to assume that this PC is also holding the audio file you're playing, shared over your network? What version of Windows are you running? Any issues playing the file in VLC, Windows Media Player, or another media player on your PC?

Edit: Didn't read a subsequent post until after... not likely a file size limitation given the size and the fact that a second long file also shows as shorter than it is.

I think I'd check the tags like Stuart suggests, and also try a constant bitrate rather than variable like John B suggests. VBR can do all kinds of weird things to time calculations, among other things. It might even play past that time limit just fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details Ekho, you've stumbled into an issue that we're aware of with tracks larger than 500 MBs. It should be resolved in the next version of the Sonos software, 7.2. The public beta for this software should now be live, so feel free to join the public beta and test it out to see if your tracks are working properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
...an issue that we're aware of with tracks larger than 500 MBs.
Then again, maybe I was right. 🙂 I was thinking much larger than 500 MB though... though your files don't meet the numbers I was thinking about either.
Badge

I've updated to the 7.2 beta and the playback counter displays 12 hours 🙂