Question

Why does half my stereo pair keep dropping out?

but I can stil change the volume of the pair on the Silent speaker.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The forum gave you a year old topic that you replied to so a lot has changed since then.

You could look at your network matrix and see if you can see any signal issues. http://sono-ip-here:1400/support/review

Any easy way you could connect them via Ethernet to see if that eliminates the issue?

Submitting a diagnostic and posting the number here or calling it in to Sonos Support might be helpful.
Userlevel 1
Suffering a similar issue. 2 2nd gen Play5’s stereo paired along with a sub, set up in the living room, connected via Ethernet into the sub. Using line in for surround sound for movies. The right hand speaker dips out for a second or two at a time, repeatedly. Line in is into the left speaker. Both play5’s are on wooden shelves. It’s driving me mad.. any ideas, anyone? All suggestions appreciated..
Badge +2
So you know what..... I bought a Sonos Boost and it's fixed it all up. Been swapping and changing the line in stream over 2 speakers all day. I guess Sonos should seriously consider advising customers to avoid wireless mode for play 5 stereo pairs.... or fix it.

All the same works now as it should be. I do still have a bee in my bonnet about the hours I've spent fucking around trying to get it work but i'm only $150 out of pocket. Could be worse if I'd followed my initial dummy spit,
Believe me, it's a lot more expensive than that to sort Sonos issues in the UK. I even bought an extra Play:1 to strengthen my Sonos network but it just requires a lot of trial, error and swearing!
Badge
So you know what..... I bought a Sonos Boost and it's fixed it all up. Been swapping and changing the line in stream over 2 speakers all day. I guess Sonos should seriously consider advising customers to avoid wireless mode for play 5 stereo pairs.... or fix it.

All the same works now as it should be. I do still have a bee in my bonnet about the hours I've spent fucking around trying to get it work but i'm only $150 out of pocket. Could be worse if I'd followed my initial dummy spit,
Badge +2
Maybe get a Sonos Connect. It doesn't solve the momentary dropouts but I run a TV, turntable and iPod and on the whole it works very well. You can get 2-into-1 cables with different end sockets on Amazon that let you run multiple devices into the single (!) set of audio inputs on the Connect. A lot of wires but it works!
Badge
I have 2 x play 5's. the only time mine lose their stereo pair is when I plug something into the audio in. Which I use a lot. Turntable - loses pair, chromecast audio - loses pair, Airplay - loses pair, phone with cable. - loses pair. I've been onto support, changed all the channels etc. yet they come back with same wireless intereference nonsense. I know I have no intereference as I setup a new wireless lan with only the Sonos on it.

At this stage I've had enough, wasted too many hours. I'll be trading in my play 5s next week for a solid amp and speaker setup with a Bluetooth receiver. Sonos refuse to accept there is an issue. 3 updates later it's still not fixed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
ok so the solutions i tried before (see other posts) DID NOT work.
Now at some point there was an app update. and so on Friday I did the following:

1 unpaired the speakers
2 UNPLUGGED THE POWER
let the speaker sit for a minute
3 Plugged in the power
4 then repaired the two PLAY3

fingers crossed that has seemed to stick... but i am not counting those chicks yet....
frustrated and hopeful

Reporting back.. thursday night... speakers still paired.
fingers crossed.. this continues

Still working!!! (fingers still crossed)... maybe it was a software upgrade and the reboot that did the trick... hope it holds!
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Now at some point there was an app update. and so on Friday I did the following:

1 unpaired the speakers
2 UNPLUGGED THE POWER
3 Plugged in the power

fingers crossed that has seemed to stick... but i am not counting those chicks yet....
frustrated and hopeful

Reporting back.. thursday night... speakers still paired.
fingers crossed.. this continues
Got the same problem with my right speaker dropping out and in for a few seconds. This happened after adding a sub and extra play1 to the setup. Got 2 rooms setup both stereo pairs (one with sub). The rooms individually work flawless. But whenever I group the rooms, one room pair gives dropouts on the right speaker when changing tracks at the beginning. Sometimes not, but most times it does. Note that this only happens when manually changing tracks. Netmatrix gives all green except that speaker yellow.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

So each day this week i would have to UNPAIR and REPAIR the PLAY3 speakers each morning.. really not happy.

1 unpaired the speakers
2 UNPLUGGED THE POWER
3 Plugged in the power

frustrated and hopeful
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I had this problem - right speaker (and always the right one) would just disappear entirely, I would re-register it, re-create the pair, and 5 minutes later it would disappear again (left speaker would continue playing). Like a previous poster on this thread, I ran a CAT5 cable between the two speakers, and that has fixed the problem. I know it is a bit annoying for 'wireless' speakers, but it is a stereo pair about 5ft apart, so it's not really that obtrusive. Also only seems to happen with my Play 5s. I have paired Play 3s (that were in the same place as I now have the 5s) and PLay 1s without issue.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Well that worked for one night. This Morning at 6am for my morning Bach the right speaker was dead again. So I repaired but didn't want to scare the neighbors by retuning at that hour.

The pair in settings showed as active when I went in to settings when I went in to fix which is interesting.

This time I tried the other trick of choosing the speaker I would call right to activate when sonos said to tap the plus button.

So paired for now and we will see how long.

I have only had the second speaker for a few weeks but there was an update to sonos in the last week and I know the pairing worked before that.

Oh well fingers crossed this works. I will be pretty POd if I have to repair and retune these daily. That will be unacceptable at this price point.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
After several talks with Sonos support, we discovered the root of the problem - for me, anyway.

I had switched channels and everything, but that didn't make a difference - the right speaker kept dropping out intermittently.

Sonos support eventually asked what my PLAY:5s were standing on. If they are standing on metal (or even glass) shelves or wall mounts, there will be trouble! The transmitter/antenna/whatever that is used for stereo pairing is in the bottom of the PLAY:5, and a metal shelf will mess up the signal.
So, I simply put the speakers onto wooden shelves instead. I didn't change anything else, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I asked the support guy why this isn't mentioned anywhere since it's apparently a well-known issue. He didn't know.

OMG. The right speaker in the pair and the one that drops out is on a metal revolving wheel. Like a small lazy Susan. I am going to take it off right now. Hope this is the solution for me. Glad I read all the way thru these replies.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
In the summer on prime day I scored a play 3 and was looking forward to Black Friday when I scored another one at the new sonos discount. So I was thrilled to get them paired up. I listen to mainly classical and lots of opera so it's been amazing to have them.

It was odd to have to use my iPad to tune because the tuning doesn't work on iPhone 7.

When I set up the play3 I hard wired it to my router to create the sonos net as recommended by sonos. I have two other play1 in other rooms -yes I have fallen hard for this wonderful system.

So a few weeks ago I paired the new play3 with the other one - remember it is hard wired. And it was fine until this past week when the RIGHT speaker stopped working. Which was odd since the rest of the speakers worked fine grouping as needed. Etc.

Reading thru this topic i see that it seems to be consistent that's it's the Right speaker that flakes out. Odd that.

I did realize that recently I had use the pause button more than I had before. That would really suck if that is the cause of the right speaker dropping out

I unpaired and repaired although it didn't work at first and finally did work.

They are working again as a pair. I really hope that pausing doesn't create the issue again, It would be a real pain to not be able to pause.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've finally fixed my stereo pair drop out with line in source issue. I looked at the network matrix and spanning tree (STP) diags and noticed that the STP root bridge for my SonosNet was my broadband router. So traffic travelling from the right speaker (where the line in source connect) to the left speaker was having to flow to the bridge, then the broadband router, then back to the bridge before finally being sent to the left speaker. No wonder it was dropping out all of the time. So the fix is two steps a) reintroduce your bridge if you've removed it and gone to WIFI - SonosNet is way more stable than home WIFI and you need it to control STP forwarding. b) reconfigure your STP priorities to promote the speaker in the pair that doesn't have the line in source connected (left for me) to be the STP root bridge. Once this is done all traffic between speakers on the SonosNet will flow through that speaker, therefore the line-in feed from my right speaker is now sent directly to my left speaker. No more drop outs!! 🙂 There are loads of articles on how to access the network matrix/STP diags and how to promote a different speaker to be the STP root bridge, so google it and you should be good. It's a bit fiddly though, so I take no responsibility for anyone messing it up but it worked for me 🙂 Good luck!
Well I tried pairing the two speakers again and when it asked me to push the button on the back of the left speaker, I pushed the button on the right and as other members suggested, it's been working perfectly all day. Clearly some sort of strange issue with the software it would seem. Regardless it's up and running and I am no longer banging my head into the wall. If something changes I will update this post but hopefully you won't hear from me again.
Just clarify initial pair both speakers work in stereo, pause them and when I use them again only the left works but the right can still pause both and adjust the volume. I Un stereo pair them and re stereo pair them and they work again till paused.
I have a boost that is wired. Not sure why it works when initially paired and breaks when it's paused and works again immediately when stereo paired. Also strange that if I run them both as separate speakers, there is no issue when leaving them in the same physical location.
Has anyone figured it out yet? I have two play 5 gen 2's that I can't keep paired. The left speaker is the only one that will play unless I unpair them and then re-pair them. Once I do that they work fine till I pause them and then its back to the right one not playing. I can however pause and control the volume from the right one. Sonos can always see the speaker as well so I have no issues with that. I bought a boost to try and fix this but it did nothing. I have tried changing to all 3 different wireless channels as well with no help. I have rebooted the entire system and that didn't work either. Is this a software issue that hasn't been addressed yet? Bummer to not have such expensive equipment work properly. It makes me want to just put one of the play 5's in another room and not use them as a pair.

It's not a software issue, it's a network issue, do you have any Sonos devices wired to your network or are they all connecting directly to your home wireless network?
Has anyone figured it out yet? I have two play 5 gen 2's that I can't keep paired. The left speaker is the only one that will play unless I unpair them and then re-pair them. Once I do that they work fine till I pause them and then its back to the right one not playing. I can however pause and control the volume from the right one. Sonos can always see the speaker as well so I have no issues with that. I bought a boost to try and fix this but it did nothing. I have tried changing to all 3 different wireless channels as well with no help. I have rebooted the entire system and that didn't work either. Is this a software issue that hasn't been addressed yet? Bummer to not have such expensive equipment work properly. It makes me want to just put one of the play 5's in another room and not use them as a pair.
Badge +2
I'm going through this situation now with Play:1s and to Steve_125's point, these are meant to be wireless speakers. If the connection is too fragile to pass the L/R signal then Sonos need to look at a serious software update. I could have spent much less than 500 GBPs if I knew everything needed wiring together.
Just submitted diagnostic 5138699. I've tried everything so far.... set it up through wireless, set it through the bridge, resetting the controller, all to no avail. Really disappointing to have such an expensive system and not be able to get the expected results. Please advise.
It works :)) thanks all for your help...Plays5 and sub paired !
That's great to hear! If you have any other issues or questions feel free to ask here, or PM me, or if you feel it is a more serious issue contact SONOS Support, they're really friendly! 🙂 - Glad to hear it's all working now though. What did you end up doing? Just rebooting or wiring the SUB into another player?

Stupid and simple.... I separated the 2 plays5 and when pairing them I was asked to push volume on the right one but what i did i pushed it on the left one and then add the sub, so no need to wire them...

Okay, great! Glad it's all sorted! Especially since you have SUB, it would be a very big waste if it weren't functioning because that thing is absolutely AWESOME!

Yep the sound is massive with the sub, just one third of volume and i feel the windows vibes 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
That's great to hear! If you have any other issues or questions feel free to ask here, or PM me, or if you feel it is a more serious issue contact SONOS Support, they're really friendly! 🙂 - Glad to hear it's all working now though. What did you end up doing? Just rebooting or wiring the SUB into another player?

Stupid and simple.... I separated the 2 plays5 and when pairing them I was asked to push volume on the right one but what i did i pushed it on the left one and then add the sub, so no need to wire them...

Okay, great! Glad it's all sorted! Especially since you have SUB, it would be a very big waste if it weren't functioning because that thing is absolutely AWESOME!