Question

Why does half my stereo pair keep dropping out?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

Badge
I've removed the wired connection between my two Sonos Play1's and kept them in stereo, I will report back....
Mine started cutting out (both speakers) about about 30 minutes ago, I've left it running so 5.5 - 6 hours it lasted. I've reconnected to the stream to test further (NOT connected the speaker together).
Badge
Ok. I removed the cables and it all works.

Diagnostics using Spotify (no line in) : 4648800
Diagnostics using TV Line In on PLAY5: 4648806

Now, remember that I claim that it will take a while for problems to start... So for SONOS: please wait until I post again, which will probably be in a few hours or days (adding to my idea that it is a firmware problem)...

As expected, after 24hrs or so the setup started failing... (both the PLAY5s and the PLAY1 started acting up).

I then switched my channels around: Wifi to 1 and Sonos to 11.

Did not help at first as the system seems to need to get 'reacquainted' for at least a few minutes

It then settled in and it is now working for about 10 min:

I'll report back when it starts failing again. Hopefully someone at SONOS can use this data to figure out what is really wrong. 
Badge

Now, remember that I claim that it will take a while for problems to start... So for SONOS: please wait until I post again, which will probably be in a few hours or days (adding to my idea that it is a firmware problem)...

And about 4 hours of actual use later the problems are back.
Please note that in this time nothing changed. No devices were added or removed from the network, no downloads or uploads were started. Nothing to explain the sudden 'death' of flawless playback.

Now can someone at SONOS please analyse this and come back with an answer that does not include 'wireless interference' ? 

Thanks in advance !
Badge

Switched to channel 6 for SONOS

Wired the 2 PLAY5s together and the PLAY5 that is not connected to the LineIn is wired to the SONOS Boost (still channel 6)

Seems to work again. Will report back if that fails too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With the boost I would think only the boost wired all the rest wireless would work unless bad interference in your house
Badge
I've removed the wired connection between my two Sonos Play1's and kept them in stereo, I will report back....
Well so far so good after a couple of days, I have lost BBC Radio 4 a couple of times but switching to another source and everything is ok so kinda putting that down to the issues around BBC streaming.
Badge

Chris, you would be wrong... :-)

Besides, Sonos claims that the Boost
Neutralises network interference from other wireless devices
So I don't want to hear about network interference as an excuse again. My AppleTV also doesn't stop working every now and then...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wow. Ok I will leave you to your posts with that kind of behavior.
I recently hung out with my neighbors for the first time who live directly above me, and realized that they also have a Sonos system. Made me curious about how well Sonos is handling potential interference from another very nearby Sonos network.
Badge

My system has been surprisingly stable for the last 4 hours, now that everything but one PLAY1 is wired. 

Still, that's not why I bought it....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I'm not sonos i am a user
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would defiantly keep them on channels as far apart as possible
Badge

Yeah, never thought you were... Maybe I should have added 'from them'. :-)

However, I see lots of people saying 'network interference' as well and I think we should not accept it, as SONIS claims something they should live up to. 
Hmm, it would be really awkward to knock on their door and say "Hey, can I hop on your network and configure the wireless settings of your sound system?" Maybe if I get to know them a little better. I can pretty safely say that some of my other building neighbors have Sonos systems as well, as I live in a pretty dense part of San Francisco. Not sure if its feels like it would be worth it, definitely not going to go canvassing to see who is on which channel.
I'll think about it though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I wouldn't use marketing tag lines as the means to diagnose your issues. I will leave you to sonos to work with you.
Badge

As you are not SONOS there is nothing you can do for me. Thanks anyway for not offering, I guess. :)

All in all I think I have given SONOS a well documented case here, with all possible setups and diagnostics before, during and after each change. I think I am making an effort. 
Hi wesww. No need to knock on doors. A utility like INSSIDER will give you far more information about your WiFi environment than your neighbours ever could
I am having exactly the same problems as everyone else, failure to create stereo pair, play 3 and 5s and bridge and Boost all dropping off the system. Its doing it right now, and the network is stable

Lets be frank although it sounds nice, this stuff is rubbish and not fit for purpose,

I tried Sonos Tech support, but despite promises, they failed again to get back to me.

They never do, they are like the kit, a waste of space.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
failure to create stereo pair, play 3 and 5s and bridge and Boost all dropping off the system. Its doing it right now, and the network is stable

Hello Graham, sounds like you system is experiencing wireless interference. Can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how. Diagnostic
Same here, I have a pair of Sonos5 and a sub, worked fine for few days and then the right channel dropped out and also the sub. Really annoying, it costs a hell of money and doesn' t work properly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Seami888,

I would also be annoyed if my Sonos gear did not work 100% of the time! It just happens my does work all the time and we just need to figure out what is wrong with your set up.

First have a look at this thread
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/tips-and-tricks-and-sonos-101-6730704

Then if you are still having troubles start a new thread (as you may get lost here) explain to us in detail you set up and problems and I am sure we can help you out.

Les
My pair of Play 5's worked perfectly as a pair up until recently, the right speaker wont play now but the volume and mute button will still control the left speaker. This has started happening after I added a soundbar to the system, I think the problem has something to do with that.
I have exactly the same problem, plus the Sub doesn't play at all...
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Some of the most common and easily fixable issues can be a simple wireless interference.

If you are using an all wireless setup (no devices wired into your router) then in most cases you can solve this issue by wiring at least one player into your router with Ethernet. This can be any of the speakers, or a BRIDGE/BOOST. By doing this SONOS will create it's own separate and stable wireless network exclusively for the players.

If you are using a SonosNet setup (one player or device wired into your router) then you can solve issues by either moving that wired player further from your router, or move any of your other players to a half way point between the wired player and the player that is dropping out. Each SONOS player acts as a booster and repeater for another. So the more spaced out they are the better your connection will be to all players.

Alternatively you can try rebooting your router, or rebooting all of your players individually. I would recommend rebooting your router first as sometimes there can be IP Address conflicts which arise if the router gets confused.

Personally, I have never encountered the issues that you are having but every household is different and there is always something that can resolve the issue right away.

The SonosNet setup is most recommended and I do not suggest running an all wireless setup if you have more than two to three players. Depending on the amount of devices connected wirelessly to your router the stability of SONOS can degrade. If you have many devices connected and you aren't using a BRIDGE/BOOST or a wired player then I definitely recommend you do so. Again, this puts all of your players onto a separate and stable network that takes advantage of the boosting technologies.

One more thing to mention, you can also plug the player that is dropping out into the player that is not dropping out (with an Ethernet cable). For example, if your SUB is dropping out and your left stereo pair, maybe a PLAY:1 isn't dropping out, then plug your SUB into that left speaker. This will not only give the SUB a stable connection to the network but it will also help the right speaker stay stable as the SUB can now use it's wireless cards to help other speakers on the network.

This can also work the other way around, and is also true for the PLAYBAR. If the speakers that are dropping out are close to your PLAYBAR plug them both into the PLAYBAR.

Try those things and see how it goes! If all fails then you may need to contact SONOS Support. You can contact them here: http://www.sonos.com/contact

Best regards!
Hello Kmjy, thank you for your answer and help. I 'm using a bridge, I will try to reboot all the plays and the router, maybe I will connect the sub by wire to one of the sonos 5 and see if it helps, but it was working fine, don't understand why now it started....