Question

Why does half my stereo pair keep dropping out?

but I can stil change the volume of the pair on the Silent speaker.

177 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, It's possible the units are experiencing some wireless interference. I suggest changing the wireless channel that Sonos is using if you haven't already. It's also best to separate the channel your router is using from Sonos. Make sure to restrict your selections to only 1,6 or 11. You'll find instructions on changing the wireless channel on this Answers page. If you continue to experience this problem, please submit a diagnostics report from your system with the unit showing, and also when it is dropped. Reply to this thread with the confirmation numbers. Instructions can be found on the link below. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/kw/diagnostics/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1Njc0MTg0My9zaWQvRSpPUlpWZWw%3D
Hi, I too have just begun to experience half of my stereo pair dropping out. It then returns a little while later. I'll try changing channels as suggested above however my network has been stable for some time. I have submitted diagnostics. I would really appreciate if one of the sonos engineers could take a look... the diagnostics number is 316 7214. thanks, Tim.
I also have this problem and have sent diagnostics: 316 9328. Hope this can be looked at. 🙂 -Dom
I have similar issues. I have purchased new Play 5 and created a stereo pair. From time to time the new unit stops playing and room settings shows it as (L+?) instead of (L+R). The unit can be accessed (pinged) from the LAN though.

The diagnostic report: 3316994

Thanks,
Piotr
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have the same issue. Think it's to do which which speaker is group coordinator. Enabling autoplay on line in player fixed the issue for a couple of days. However a couple of days after that autoplay stopped working and the stereo pair line in issue came back. I've seen quite a few posts with the same issue. We need to know how to get the player with the line in source to remain as the group coordinator? Diagnostics 3406400.
I've just installed my second Sonos 5 and from the very start this speaker is only working intermittently. I've changed channels but to no effect. Is there a body of evidence to suggest that this set up is reliable outside a test situation? Having wasted several hours looking for a solution I'm seriously disallusioned with Sonos.
Big problems here with trying to pair up two Play 5s.  Been working this for two weeks, elevated to Tier 2, replaced one of the units - it continues.  They will play for awhile, then the right channel drops out, Left plays alone.  They do not reconnect, and the controller "loses" the right channel.  It requires a reset of that unit and set up again.  The problem appears to be in the communication between the two Play 5s.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Unfortunately sonos support always seem to hide behind wireless interference when people report this issue, which is definitely not the problem with my setup. To my mind this is plainly a bug which needs a software fix.
I suspect the real issue is just that there are relatively few people bothering to try to get a stereo pairing reliable.  Probably less than 5 per cent of users.  It's just not worth the trouble to fix the HW/SW issues between sharing units.  They spent literally hours of time, many, many diagnostics run, and can't seem to even be sure where the problem is.  One thing for sure, it's not wireless interference, as I live way out and am in total control of my wireless environment. They even checked my router and were shocked to see NO other signals. 
No, it's an issue between Play units, and, I suspect, it's not an easy fix.  Would be nice to hear of anyone who's been able to keep two Play 5s working in stereo for a very long time with no issues.
Having persisted for several days the degree of reliability in stereo pairing has improved somewhat but not to any satisfactory extent. The frustrating part about this whole issue is that when the pairing works the results are sonically excellent. Nevertheless this is an issue that the Sonos boffins need to address.
I'm having the same problem ! I'll send a Diagnostic report but I'm betting they will blame it on wireless interference .
OK, has ANYONE gotten a pair of Play 5s to stay paired for stereo?  Please respond in this thread as SONOS has marked it as "answered," and it most certainly is not.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My Play5 stereo pair is rock solid for music streamed from my media PC or Internet services. It's streaming a line-in source (my TV) connected to one of the play5s that gives me the speaker drop out issue.
My pair of Play 5's worked perfectly as a pair up until recently, the right speaker wont play now but the volume and mute button will still control the left speaker. This has started happening after I added a soundbar to the system, I think the problem has something to do with that.
My pair of Play 5's worked perfectly as a pair up until recently, the right speaker wont play now but the volume and mute button will still control the left speaker. This has started happening after I added a soundbar to the system, I think the problem has something to do with that.
I'm experiencing the same issues - but I don't have a Playbar. Of course, it's still possible that the Playbar has caused problems in your setup, but it doesn't have to be related to the extra speaker.
You may be right but my problems started when I added that on, I have issues with the playbar as well sometimes it wont group up with another speaker, I personally think a "magical" system update will appear in the not to distant future and the problem will get solved.
Well, I'm quite sure that the guys at Sonos are working hard on this and I really trust in their skills - but I'm not sure if they're magicians. So let's hope you're right 😉
Well, there is hope, then.  Forums do tend to over-report problems vice solutions, so it's good to see some have success with stereo pairing.  I hope to get my issues resolved soon, as I'm close to giving up on stereo pairing after four tech support sessions, and now working at second tier with no success.
I also have the same issue - BUT they cant blame it on wireless interfere as I have both speakers running on CAT6 ethernet cables. I have to unplug the errant unit and it work. I can send the log if someone from Sonus asks for it...
My Play5 stereo pair is rock solid for music streamed from my media PC or Internet services. It's streaming a line-in source (my TV) connected to one of the play5s that gives me the speaker drop out issue.
Yes my problem seem to be line-in . I contacted sonos suport but all they did was copy and paste what's on there web site !!! Great help (not) !
I have been running 3 sets of stereo paired Play 5's. One set for 3 years, the other two for over a year. I have only had 2 instances where a pair stopped working. One was after a power outage. I just unplugged the unit, plugged it back in and it works fine.
Much humble pie here.

After  several days of going mad with Play 5 right hand drop outs I bit the bullet and did the following:

1. physical disconnect all my Sonos units from their power supplies
2. move Sonos bridge to the main Airport router (not the extender that I had been using)
3. restart the router
4. plug in the bridge
5. join Playbar
6. join Sonos 1
7. join first Sonos 5
8. join second Sonos 5 and join as a stereo pair

RESULT no drop outs for at least a week - I hope I'm not crowing too soon.
Further to my previous post - Sonos units all rock solid with NO dropouts. I spoke to a trained Sonos retailer yesterday and he confirmed that with every installation he has performed for customers he has restarted all components back to and including the router. He reports that this procedure produces the best outcomes although he has encountered a single issue over a DECT phone that was causing interference.
I've finally, I believe and hope, solved my Play 5 pairing problem. After significant Tier 2 diagnostics, subbing out both Play 5's under warranty, they finally are staying paired. The trick was to hook them together with Cat 5e cable. Apparently, the wireless connection is just too fragile to pass the L/R signal, and any challenge causes the left Play 5 to "lose" the right channel, and it doesn't easily find it again. Anyway, the network cable connection has held for nearly a week, so I'm keeping fingers crossed and calling this a solution, for now.
I've finally, I believe and hope, solved my Play 5 pairing problem. After significant Tier 2 diagnostics, subbing out both Play 5's under warranty, they finally are staying paired. The trick was to hook them together with Cat 5e cable. Apparently, the wireless connection is just too fragile to pass the L/R signal, and any challenge causes the left Play 5 to "lose" the right channel, and it doesn't easily find it again. Anyway, the network cable connection has held for nearly a week, so I'm keeping fingers crossed and calling this a solution, for now.
Sonos wireless speakers Hmmmmmmm