Question

White LED always on

• 6 March 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi,

Ever since I have installed my Sonos system, all LEDs are stuck on white. Does this mean they never actually go on idle?

The setup is Playbar+sub+play1+play1

I would hate to think it's always awake for weeks on end.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No, the LEDs are white whether or not the unit is in low-power mode. If you wish, you can turn them off in the Settings->Room Settings menu.
Thanks jgatie.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know? Is there a place in the app where I can see what status a speaker is in? Or would have to use a wattage meter to check if th speaker is idle or not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
He knows because that is what Sonos told us:-

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/260/~/sonos-power-consumption-when-idle

If you are concerned about the energy use then switch off you devices when not in use and the power consumption will be zero. BUT:-

1) Alarms won't work unless you remember to switch on your unit before the alarm
2) Performance of and enjoyment of the system will be reduced due to the time required for you to switch on the Play units and for them to find themselves
3) You risk reducing the operating life of your Play unit(s) due to the switching on and off of the units.
Thanks jgatie.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know? Is there a place in the app where I can see what status a speaker is in? Or would have to use a wattage meter to check if th speaker is idle or not?

No, there is no place to view the status. Though any Sonos unit which is not playing music goes into low power mode within a few minutes after the music stops.
Ok thanks guys :)

Guess I will have to take it on faith and try and resolve my trust issues.
No, there is no place to view the status.
The layman's approach is to stick your ear up to the speakers and hear the amps power down a minute or so after pause/stop, when the slight hiss goes away.

For PLAYBAR's TV input, wait an extra 10 minutes for silence detection to kick in.