Answered

Where have all my "foreign" character songs gone?

• 21 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have a large music library and quite often hit the limit at which point I move some albums to my “not-on-sonos” folder so I can still access them via Plex.

I updated my index yesterday and noticed that an artist was missing - this artist has a “foreign” character in the name “ø”. I then checked an album by another artist that I knew had a foreign character “ō” and it’s missing as well.

This was working for me last week - I could see+play the artists/albums using sonos!?   

Why can’t I see them anymore? Is it a change to the sonos system or do I need to move a bunch more albums out before they will re-appear?

And no, these are not playlists, they are mp3 albums stored on my NAS… the same place I have been storing them for years. Nothing else I can think of has changed in my network.

It’s a bit insulting if we can’t have ‘foreign’ characters… even my wife’s name has “ē” on it.

icon

Best answer by controlav 21 August 2021, 15:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You have no control over the order that tracks are processed as the library indexer works through your library. If you are on the threshold of ‘too large’ for your music library, it is possible that your “missing” track did not make the cut for a given run. Also, the ‘foreign’ characters tend to cause more trouble in file names. Since file names are arbitrary for SONOS, you could edit the problem track file names. The SONOS library would be perfectly happy if your file names were simple numbers in the range of 1 to 65,000. For example: 1.mp3 to 65000.mp3. 

Note that there are two limits to library size. The absolute limit is 65000 tracks, but there is also a memory upper bound. If your album titles, track names, and file names are long, you may run out of  allocated memory before hitting the 65000 track limit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like the known One SL SMB bug: if you have one of those, power it down, then re-index your collection, turn off auto re-indexing then power it back up.

This should get you by until Sonos fix the SMB stack that is unique to this model, that cannot handle non-ascii characters in paths.

Badge +2

Sounds like the known One SL SMB bug: if you have one of those, power it down, then re-index your collection, turn off auto re-indexing then power it back up.

This should get you by until Sonos fix the SMB stack that is unique to this model, that cannot handle non-ascii characters in paths.

You are the best! Thank you!

This worked 100%.  I am back to being able to see my non-ascii characters including some Japanese character track names I had forgotten about.  THANK YOU!

How long has the SMB vs OnSL bug been around? (ie how likely is it that Sonos will address/fix the problem?)

How long has the SMB vs OnSL bug been around? (ie how likely is it that Sonos will address/fix the problem?)

There’s more info on this topic here: