What happened to the Sub?

• 17 December 2020
  • 10 replies

After the last sonos s2 update, my sub is suuuper intense - even when setting the sub to -2 or so.

Who else is experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello there @kirrg001, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. About your concern on your Sonos Sub so that we can check for the current status of it, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Ok I did:

@Simon B 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @kirrg001, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Upon checking, no issue was detected on your Sonos Sub, We’ll take this further. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may ask for video proof when the issue is happening on your Sonos Sub so they can provide additional troubleshooting steps and options regarding this issue. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Subwoofers (and other speaker types in general) will “break in” over time. Changing both the sound profile and the sensitivity of the diaphragm. For subwoofers this can offer louder, lower bass. Maybe this is what is happening to you.  Linked below is a sound audio engineer showing this data to put this theory/ debate to rest.  It’s a bit dense as he offers a technical explanation, but an explanation none the less.  

One question.  Have you retuned the set up with Trueplay?

Measuring woofer break-in.

> Have you retuned the set up with Trueplay?

Trueplay is disabled.

Thanks for your explanation, but I still don’t know what to do now :D

I have the feeling the sub is fine with movies (netflix), but just super crazy with music via spotify connect app. Really crazy. Maybe I will reach out to support

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My sub is WAY too boomy without trueplay switched on.  Trueplay in the room with the sub in my house makes a big difference and a big improvement IMHO

Alright. I will configure Trueplay again soon and try again.

Alright. I will configure Trueplay again soon and try again.

If you don't get the results you like doing trueplay the normal way (by going around the room waving the device). Try standing exclusively at your main listening position while waving and moving the phone around in that one location. I did it this way and I absolutely enjoy the sound of the system. I have no complaints for sound quality, quantity or clarity. 

Reconfigured Trueplay and enabled it. Maybe it’s a little better now? Need to test it over the next days. Will reply :)

Hm not rly better when listening to spotify. Doesn’t happen when watching movies.

Any other ideas?