Question

What film to show of a Player, Sun and rears ?

• 8 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

i have just set up my Playbar, Sub and two rear Play1's.

Can you recommend a couple of DVD or Blue-rays to show off the sound and surround immersion

I want to see how great the system can sound.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Regards,

Charles.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Interstellar has bass that will bounce your house across the street..
I remember really being struck by the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan when I first got a surround system. First 10 minutes of the movie were gripping!
The first ten or so minutes from The Dark Knight Rises.
And the first time I saw a HT get a good workout, a long time ago, was the lift off scene from Apollo 13.

Yes on Apollo 13. When I frequently posted on a HT group, that scene was what was called a "Top 10 Reference" scene. "Reference" meaning if your rig was calibrated and capable of THX reference level audio (which, by the way is very, very, very loud! and difficult to achieve), that scene reaches maximum reference level output when set to the reference volume ('00' level on a THX receiver). Note that THX reference is average 85 dB, with peaks up to 105 dB for the mains and 115 dB! for the sub!

http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-technology/thx-reference-level/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Midnight special has the best sub thumping track ever, crank it up and the whole house shakes (non sonos kit).
The first ten or so minutes from The Dark Knight Rises.
And the first time I saw a HT get a good workout, a long time ago, was the lift off scene from Apollo 13.
Any of the Marvel comic movies; Avengers, Captain America, etc. have excellent surround effects. If that is not your cup of tea, the scene in Last of the Mohicans where Hawkeye tells Cora to submit and he will find her takes place inside a waterfall and is excellent. The whole movie has great surround, but that scene is a standout. It also has a wonderful soundtrack and the scenery is beautiful. Great, under rated film.