Question

What DAC a Sonos Connect(:AMP) has?

• 28 November 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
Hello,

I didn't find anywhere details about what DACs the Connect and Connect:AMP have?
Are they the same DACs in both of products? What is the quality of those DACs (approximately)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Why bother? Do you bother about what make is the power supply in your amp? DACs are mass manufactured electronic commodities now, and there is no audible signature that they leave.

For what it is worth, I have not found any difference between that in the Connect and that in a very expensive SACD player made in 2010. As to the Connect Amp, I haven't bothered to think about it. And for play units, I don't care about what amplifier is used.
Badge +3
This kind of response I am looking for http://www.stereophile.com/news/062606sonos/#ijIW7wGFLmLxJGO6.97 . Something that show us what a Sonos have inside without opening one.
That's a 10-year-old review, from the days when Sonos tended to appeal to the early adopter, technically literate, hobbyist.

Knowing the precise DAC chip is not that helpful. Good quality DAC chips long ago became commodity items. The circuit and PCB design would have decidedly more bearing on quality.
Badge +3
It was told to me by many (3) persons that Sonos cannot deliver top sound quality because is not specialized (big) amp + a standalone DAC. They said that a pair of Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers + a Sonos Connect Amp is not a good combo, because of the amp. This is them them theory. But my ears tells me that it sounds great.
So that's why I begin to search what is the approximately quality that a Sonos Connect Amp can deliver.
It was told to me by many (3) persons that Sonos cannot deliver top sound quality because is not specialized (big) amp + a standalone DAC. They said that a pair of Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers + a Sonos Connect Amp is not a good combo, because of the amp. This is them them theory. But my ears tells me that it sounds great.
So that's why I begin to search what is the approximately quality that a Sonos Connect Amp can deliver.

Trust your ears, not the gibberish from "audiophiles" who need to justify the huge sums of money they have spent to get an illusory improvement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you like it, that's what matters. You're the one listening to it the most. Don't tell your friends what you got... just amaze them with the great sound the next time they come over.
One of the "perks" of being an "audiophile" seems to be lording it over the plebes who do not have the gear, ears, or media that are necessary to qualify for the exclusiveness club. Regardless of the fact that their superior gear (outside of speakers), specially trained ears (that actually have never been trained) or "Hires" media have never been proven to be distinguishable from every day gear, ears, or media, they still try to make you look like a piker, simply because they spend more or shop at exclusive stores. I like to think they are the fools because they are bilked out of their money by snake-oil salesmen.

Enjoy what you like, and ignore the morons whose passive aggressive nonsense only wants to build themselves up by tearing others down. My own personal musical Nirvana was listening to the Ramones first album on a crappy KLH stereo. I wouldn't trade that for a $50,000 audiophile system. Some people would do well to start listening to music, instead of listening to gear.