Weird DTS experience

• 19 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi Tried DTS today…  PS3 to Sony receiver (Earc pass through) to my Vizio Tv…  This setup works perfect with Atmos, but with a dvd Eagles in Australia, DTS 5.1 is shown and works.  When I do the same thing with a blu ray, no sound when switching to DTS on the Blu rays menu… Just like before the DTS update.   Anyone got any similar experiences or ideas?  Let me know.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

I am not certain, but I believe the regular PS3 (as opposed to the PS3 Slim) can only decode a DTS-HD Master Audio track as LPCM. On the PS3, go to Settings > Video Settings > BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) and set it to Linear PCM. Since your TV is equipped with eARC, this should allow you to play DTS-HD Master Audio Blu-ray discs as lossless multichannel PCM through the Arc which should be higher quality audio than DTS Digital Surround.

My Tv only has arc connection, So I think that rules out DTS Master.  But like I said I get DTS 5.1 With Dvd’s , So I will try your suggestion…  Thanks :) 

Userlevel 7

An eARC connection is also required for multichannel PCM or Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos. Are you able to get Dolby Atmos from Blu-ray discs?

Thanks, I confirmed with the Sonos techs, that PS3 does not do Dolby Digital Atmos or Dts in any form at this time.  Since I do mostly streaming I can wait and see what the future brings.  Also, I just have the arc bar, and am completely underwhelmed by Atmos anyway!  Oh, and I am playing my Hamer guitar, and my PRS Se as we speak!