Question

we can’t connect to Sonos

• 30 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Evening all

My wife tried to listen to Spotify via the playbar today when she was about to do the ironing but she was met with a message to say the app couldn’t find any Sonos products on our network despite us having a Play 3, playbar and a playbase. I have so far tried rebooting each Sonos product, rebooting both my router and superhub and adding new firmware to my router but the result is still the same...

I still get audio through the playbar and playbase it’s just the network side of things that’s gone wrong

thanks in advance

6 replies

Couple of suggestions:

Have you checked to see if any firewall or virus protection programs got updated in the background? They're known for frequently blocking the ability of both the controller to see the Sonos system, and the Sonos system (on the speakers) to see the outside world.

Second, by any chance, when you rebooted your router, were all of the Sonos devices unplugged while you did so? If I'm reading your post properly, you did them in sequence, rather than concurrent, which needs to be done in order to refresh any potential DNS data, as well as get new IP addresses assigned. Probably should, as a precaution, reboot the device that the controller is on as well.

What is a "superhub"?

You say you have a PLAYBAR, a PLAYBASE and a PLAY:3(or more). Are the PLAY:3(s) set up as surround speakers, or are they separate rooms from the sound bars, which I'm assuming are both connected to TV sets?

Finally, if none of this helps.....I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I prefer to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly

the superhub is virgins router that I have in modem mode for quite a few years now. I don’t like them handling my WiFi so I have that connected to an ASUS rt-ac5300

i have the playbar and playbase connected to two different tv’s and the 3 is elsewhere as a music player.

i have rebooted all the sonic products but not in any particular order. I haven’t assigned static ip’s But not have I had to in all the years I’ve owned my Sonos stuff. I did notice the controller app was updated a couple of days ago...
Just to check, you've read and implemented the suggestion on the Sonos incompatability FAQ for the Asus, correct?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/41

I'm wondering if there might have been a firmware update in the background on your router that flipped that setting.
Just adding that my Sonos apps -- all of them - no longer will connect to my system. I have rebooted everything twice. What is going on? It all worked fine 2 days ago.
Joe 6, did you perhaps post your response on an incorrect thread? You're adding something that doesn't have any relation to this thread.

But, since I don't recall seeing a post from you in another thread, here's some information.

Generally, when your Sonos Apps (all of them? Where do you have them?) can't see the Sonos speakers, that means that the device isn't on the same LAN network as the speakers. The way the system works is that the controller talks to your router, and the router talks to the speakers. If either of them aren't on that network (and it could be one, the other, or both), the the controller won't "see" the system.

Sometimes, this has to do with an update to the router, where it has had the 2.4Ghz channel turned off, and only the 5Ghz channel is being broadcast. Sonos can't, unfortunately, see a 5Ghz network. Often, you can get around this by connecting one of your Sonos devices to the router with an ethernet cable, which causes that device to create the SonosNet network, a 2.4Ghz channel that the rest of the Sonos devices can see.

But then there's also the possibility of a firewall update is blocking the ability of the speakers to communicate, too. It's hard to tell. The amount of information you've provided isn't sufficient to really build a mental image of your system in order to do any troubleshooting. All you've said is "it doesn't work, and it used to", which really is hard to work with.

The other thing I might recommend, since you obviously can't get in to the app to post a diagnostic, is to contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner Airegetlam, life has been busy this past week. I hadn’t read about the router settings I needed to change but have made them now and after resetting each speaker and treating it like a new setup I was able to get them all working. For some reason my router had dropped them all so I’m not sure if it was the router or the Sonos system itself that didn’t like the existing setup but it’s sorted for now.

Thank you you so much for taking the time to help me🙏🙏