Question

Wallpaper TV Compatability

• 10 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know if SONOS will be compatible with the new LG OLED Wallpaper TV that has it's own soundbar? Could you plug playbar into this soundbar, which acts as guts of the TV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looking at the technical specifications of the set (here's the US version of it, I believe), it doesn't appear to have an optical output (or any audio output; HDMI-ARC isn't even mentioned). As a result, it doesn't look like you'd be able to use an external soundbar that only supports an optical connection, like the Sonos Playbar.

It does have an optical input though, so you could get a Sonos Connect and hook its optical output up to the soundbar, but that won't get you TV audio through the rest of your Sonos system, unfortunately.
Thanks! So if you hooked up the connect to the LG sound bar could you create 5.1 surround using additional sonos speakers in the same room or would the TV sound only come through the LG sound bar?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Thanks! So if you hooked up the connect to the LG sound bar could you create 5.1 surround using additional sonos speakers in the same room or would the TV sound only come through the LG sound bar?

Ummm no, I think you may misunderstand. What Mike is saying (Correct me if I am wrong here Mike since you looked at the spec).... is that the audio being delivered by the TV has no method to get out of it to any device outside itself... He is saying it doesn't have any *output* method built in. Without that, there would be no way to get audio sound out to a Sonos product. Additionally, today the surround speakers in the Sonos world get their audio from a 5ghz wifi connection that the PlayBar establishes with the surrounds (Or a physical Ethernet cable wiring the PlayBar and a Connect:Amp if using it). No PlayBar, No surrounds connection of any type.

The Sonos Connect would, presumably with the optical input to the TV, allow you to take the Sonos audio you listen to everywhere else in your home on Sonos devices and also play it through the TV's speaker system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, SHARKB8T has it right. There is no output to send your TV audio anywhere else in your system. The input would only allow you to listen to Sonos audio through the "soundbar" for your TV, just as you do with your other Sonos devices.