Answered

volume turning itself up without my input

Badge
When listening to my beam in my living room and my Sonos one in my kitchen the volume turned itself up to max without my input. Very frustrating. Only happened once but that was more than enough. How do I prevent this?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 November 2019, 22:18

There’s a new Spotify app for Android available today, version 8.5.32.889, which should resolve this issue for people who have trouble with the volume ramping up when using Spotify direct control. If you’ve been having this issue, please make sure to update your Spotify app and test it out.

Let us know how it goes!

View original

10 replies

Check your phone, or other controller device for stuck buttons, or close the app after you've used it. Check to make sure that no animals are resting on either the speaker controls, or the TV's remote. Make sure you don't have any automations (Homekit, IFTT, etc) set up to adjust the volume.

Given the way I read your post, I'd suggest it was the first option, since the implication is that both rooms increased in volume. If it had been only one room, then it could have been the TV's remote.

I used to have a cat that loved to lie on top of my speakers, due to the warmth they generated. He would occasionally hit the speaker's volume buttons. I was happy when Sonos released the ability to turn off those speaker buttons.
Badge
Thanks Bruce,
No pets involved. Yes, it acted like I was accidentally sitting on my remote. But it’s only my iPad and iPhone that control the Sonos, well, along with Alexa. At the time I was doing dishes at the sink and the iPhone was on the kitchen counter and the iPad was in the living room. I turned it down in the iPad using the Sonos app and the touch screen and the volume went back up. Even if I turned it down using the volume button on the side of the iPad it turned itself back up.

Maybe it was was the case on my iPad but I’ve had the beam for over a month now and the Sonos one for three weeks and never had a problem before.

Of if it happens again I’ll try and deal with the loud volume and see if I can figure out what’s going on. I’m not sure how my neighbors will feel about that though 😉
If it happens again, submit a system diagnostic, there’s a possibility that Sonos could see where the command came from, and help.

Rest assured this is not a normal occurrence.
Badge
Hi Bruce,
It just happened again so I submitted a system diagnostic. But I had no input with the diagnostic report, how is Sonos supposed to know what he problem was?
Scott
You’d need to either post the number here, and wait for a Community Moderator to have time to look at it, or contact [url=https://www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options%23]Sonos Support[/url] directly to discuss it. I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7. I’d be interested in what you find out ;)
Badge

I’m starting to think that this is an iPad issue. Shortly after posting here I saw the volume on my iPad go up all by itself. I removed the case which could be interfering with the volume controls and will reset the iPad and see if that makes a difference. 

No guaranty, but it wouldn't be the first time, either. I had it occur one time when I forgot that I had the app running on my iPhone, and my jeans were adjusting the volume. Taught me to either close the app, or not store my phone in my front jeans pocket. 

Same thing has been going on for us as well since a couple of weeks back when we play from Spotify. The volume just randomly goes up really high. We use Samsung phones and a couple of remotes. No stuck buttons, pets or accidental contact with remotes. Believe it's since the latest Sonos update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s a new Spotify app for Android available today, version 8.5.32.889, which should resolve this issue for people who have trouble with the volume ramping up when using Spotify direct control. If you’ve been having this issue, please make sure to update your Spotify app and test it out.

Let us know how it goes!

Let us know how it goes!

I updated Spotify today, and so far so good!