Volume scale on AppleTV via Sonos Arc not displaying

• 2 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Volume scale on AppleTV via Sonos Arc not displaying

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 September 2022, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

That sounds like an issue with the Apple TV, moreso than Sonos, since Sonos doesn’t display/generate any visuals at all.

I’ve seen other issues that seem to be associated with iOS 16 and the Apple app that acts as a remote, which are also Apple bugs. Not sure yours is the same, but it does feel like it’s associated, due to Sonos not actually sending any video/overlays.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I also have this issue. I cannot recall what I did differently to make it change, other than perhaps a wifi disruption which shut off the system a month or so ago. 

I think I could solve the issue if I re-set up the input and HDMI CEC, and some Apple TV settings, but honestly I don’t feel like doing it. 

It’s weird because the volume display does come up on the screen when using the TV’s remote when within Apple TV. But using the Apple TV remote or iPhone, no display. Albeit I do see the white LED on my Arc alerting me that a signal is being received. I’m actually kind of enjoying/gotten used to no overlay now. It’s nice when watching movies, not having to see the adjustments. 

Personally, given that I’m in an apartment and due to the bombastic sound during most loud scenes coming from the arc + sub + surrounds, combined with the issue of not hearing dialogue clearly at a normal volume setting - I’m always turning it up and down for all shows and movies.

Badge

My TV probably has ARC without the (e)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, Airgetlam

One clarification: When I connect Apple TV to my TV, the volume scale that displays is graphically different from the volume scale that shows on the TV when Apple TV is disconnected. This means, in my view, that the former volume scale should be very much a feature, of Apple TV

Without pictures its hard to be sure, but it sounds like your TV is rendering the volume control differently for built-in speakers and (e)ARC connected devices. I don’t recall any of my Apple TV devices rendering any volume UX, my TV does all that.

Best take that up with Apple, then. As previously stated, Sonos does not add any ‘overlay’ on the screen for anything, including volume. That’s something done by the TV set. 

Badge

Thanks, Airgetlam

One clarification: When I connect Apple TV to my TV, the volume scale that displays is graphically different from the volume scale that shows on the TV when Apple TV is disconnected. This means, in my view, that the former volume scale should be very much a feature, of Apple TV

Volume scale overlay/display is not something generated by either Sonos or Apple TV, it’s a function of the TV set and their implementation of CEC / ARC. Check with your TV’s manufacturer.