Volume Rant

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 121 replies
Using Sonos in the bedroom has always been important to me as I like music to fall asleep to as well as wake up too.
However I have always found the volume control extremely poor.
I have a Connect Amp and some RS1 Monitor Audio speakers and the room is a little larger than the average bedroom at 15ft x15ft approx.

1) Turning the volume down to very low levels is tricky to say the least because RIGHT NEXT to the lower part of the volume is the mute! and, you guessed it, when I try to use the volume down that low it is all too easy to hit the mute plus the control at the lower volumes when the surroundings are silent the smallest movement is too much.
I always thought someone at Sonos would notice this and move the mute away from the lowest part of the volume to the highest or somewhere even further away - but no. it's never moved, so I was left thinking it must be just me who has this problem.
Since upgrading to the QAcoustics Concept 20's which are amazing, the sensitivity is higher and therefore it is even more of a problem controlling the volume.
Surely Sonos can move the mute
or even better, make the volume move intelligent and use less sensitivity in the first 30% of the slide but it only controls 10% of the amps power - or something similar I.e not a straight line of increase but curved.

2) Volume control based on output volume I.e. you set the volume and no matter what the source quality or volume, it's still the same output wattage. surely this is possible nowadays.

rant over. I realise nothing will change, it's safer and less frustrating that way!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

It's never moved, so I was left thinking it must be just me who has this problem.

I can assure you're not the only one who's a bit frustrated by the way volume control (not) works for values at the lower end of the scale.

I'm bothered with exactly the same problem and would really appreciate if one of your proposals could be implemented.
Badge
I can assure you're not the only one who's a bit frustrated by the way volume control (not) works for values at the lower end of the scale.

I'm bothered with exactly the same problem and would really appreciate if one of your proposals could be implemented.

NICE TO HEAR .. we are not alone ;)
it's the simple things we can't understand.
Thanks
Mike
I drag the volume slider down to its lowest setting, then tap on the volume slider's 'track' to the right of the indicator to increase. That provides the finest adjustments available.

If the first 'notch' there is still too loud, there's not much you can do.
I drag the volume slider down to its lowest setting, then tap on the volume slider's 'track' to the right of the indicator to increase. That provides the finest adjustments available.

If the first 'notch' there is still too loud, there's not much you can do.

This is what I do also. No sense trying to tap it down if all you need is a tap up from the bottom.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
For volume control at the low end of the scale we always use a CR100, hard buttons just seem to work better.
Badge
Agreed. And can anyone explain why the volume bar is so short? Please can we have it longer! Maybe i just suffer from podgy finger syndrome but it seems foolish not to use as much of the screen width as possible for this. Also to add to the points above mayba a low range volume button is needed as an optional selection. I think 5.0 Beta is better in this regards than 4.2 where i never understood why the volume bar wasnt lengthened as there was nothing to the right anyway.
Userlevel 2
I agree. Way to hard to adjust volume at lower levels in bedroom. Just using a single Play 1, and an iPad or iPhone.
For volume control at the low end of the scale we always use a CR100, hard buttons just seem to work better.
All of the Sonos controller have hard volume buttons haven't they? The android one does, so I presume the apple one does also?

If the android controller is active (ie. you are using it) the tablet's volume control rocker will adjust the volume setting for the selected Sonos zone or group.

Although if the volume steps at the quiet end of the scale are too coarse for the OP this won't solve the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
All of the Sonos controller have hard volume buttons haven't they?
Our desktop PC controllers (Windows 😎 do not, although I suppose if we changed the keyboards they might?

the tablet's volume control rocker will adjust the volume setting ... Although if the volume steps at the quiet end of the scale are too coarse for the OP this won't solve the problem.
Hence the comment that the CR100's hard buttons just seem to work better.
Badge

Hence the comment that the CR100's hard buttons just seem to work better.

Except that the first few volume steps are so coarse that I can't find a suitable volume level - big annoyance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Rhan, are you finding the first few volume steps on a CR100 too coarse??

If so that is surprising, as on our system it takes about 3 presses of the volume up button to go from zero volume to one that is just audible. - Perhaps our hearing is dropping in old age in which case I just found an advantage in growing old!!:D
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Regarding the lower range of the volume scale, they did change that during a beta a long time ago. They tried another scale (think they called it logarithmic, but I'm not sure if that makes sense), which basically meant that the first 50% of the scale was less coarse than the last 50%.

It made a lot of sense, since small increments are more useful in the lower range than in the higher range.

However, I think they booted that idea because people didn't think their players were "as loud as before" since they needed to have a higher volume setting for the same volume. Mainly a miss-conception, but haters gonna hate. I would have loved for them to introduce that again.

And as an addition, I think that the offical controller only adjust volume in 2% increments, through all of the scale. Atleast when tapping or using volume buttons. It would make a huge difference if you could adjust in 1% increments in the lower range, and as someone else suggested, indicate the actual volume percent instead of trying to see the position of the scrubber behind your thumb (touchscreen sliders are the worst...).
Badge
Rhan, are you finding the first few volume steps on a CR100 too coarse??

If so that is surprising, as on our system it takes about 3 presses of the volume up button to go from zero volume to one that is just audible. - Perhaps our hearing is dropping in old age in which case I just found an advantage in growing old!!:D

The effect depends on a lot of factors, of course. How far is the player from your ear? Which player (Play5, Play3, Play1?). The room itself plays a huge factor as well.

Anyway, I find myself constantly switching between two volume settings, because I find the louder one too loud, and the softer one to soft.

Good to know that possibly the problem will get solved when my ears degrade further... 😉
Sonos too busy counting their money to listen to well-informed and very reasonable requests. Grrrr!