Volume Randomly Increasing to Max

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a Sonos 5.1 setup consisting of a beam, sonos one x2, and sub. Recently when listening to Spotify on my iPhone XS (the only controller I have active in my household), the volume on the system raises to max volume when going to change the volume in the sonos app, or from the lock screen. I have only had the system for a few weeks and it seems to only do this when Spotify is active, not Pandora or while using the TV. Currently my system is on version 10.1.2, and my iPhone controller states the version is also 10.1.2. My system is currently connected via wireless, and not through Sonosnet.

I have seen in other forums that the work around is to disable hardware volume control and lock screen controls in the Sonos settings in the native iPhone settings app. But my question is, has this issue been permanently addressed yet in a sonos update/will it be in the future? Or does this have to do with possibly having a faulty system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

I’m having the same problem but not through spotify (that I’m aware of). My issue is with the tv when switching between prime, netflix and the tv. Also the default volume slide on the tv keeps readjusting to the point I need to go into the app to lower it. Only been doing this in the last few weeks and very annoying. I hope sonos will address it soon. 

This is still an issue since it happened to me this morning and it scared the **** out of me!

I was using the Sonos app and Spotify app on my iPhone. Volume goes up to 100%, uncontrollable. I had to pull out the plugs of the Sonos stereos. 

I’ve experienced the same issue two years ago at a friends house who had Sonos. It suddenly started playing 100% volume music without any of us controlling anything. This is very worrisome. 

How to prevent this from happening? 

The same happened to me several times and it became one of the biggest things I am scared of. It usually happens when I play spotify and increase the volume by using buttons on Iphone XS and the volume starts to move by itself to the maximum. Very scary and annoying. Please fix this....

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is still an issue since it happened to me this morning and it scared the **** out of me!

I was using the Sonos app and Spotify app on my iPhone. Volume goes up to 100%, uncontrollable. I had to pull out the plugs of the Sonos stereos. 

I’ve experienced the same issue two years ago at a friends house who had Sonos. It suddenly started playing 100% volume music without any of us controlling anything. This is very worrisome. 

Uninstalling Spotify from your phone is the usual fix.

I've had the same happen twice now. It only happened since I installed a Beam last week - volume is usually pretty low, but it seems that when I start the stream from Google Assistant, then load Spotify to change the volume (in this morning's case, to decrease it!) it latches all volumes to 100%. Sorry, neighbours!

I have submitted diagnostics, no 1256146649, in case anyone from Spotify support is looking into a fix for this...

Had the same issue when using my iPhone with Sonos and Spotify in combination. could reproduce the issue by simply swapping between the apps. 

Fixed it by:

1. Un- and replugged all Sonos speakers.
  2. Updated the Sonos app to latest version and made sure the Sonos system had the latest update. 
  3. Updated the Spotify app. 
    (both apps had pending updates)

Works perfect. Fingers crossed. 

Same Problem here. It was described and discussed in detail for more than one year and it persists. I think enough people made it clear that it is not just annoying but a horrible experience. Effectively, it feels like an attack on one’s mental and physical integrity. I guess no one cares if it’s “Spotify centric”. My spotify app has never turned up the volume by itself when used standalone. Sonos claims to integrate well with apps like Spotify (and they have to, without Spotify and co. Sonos would be useless for most of the users). As a consequence, they have to work with Spotify on solving these issues. However, given the fact that this issue is more than one year old, they either don’t care or they are not able to solve the problem. Strong argument to change. Enough competitors available. 

Uninstalling Spotify from your phone is the usual fix.

Is this a joke?

I’m having the same issue, can’t believe this is a bug with more than one year of age… and as it was mentioned before, this doesn’t happen with other integrations. So how is the deal? There are other competitors will better price range. I’m not saying provide a solution now, but acknowledge the problem and try to fix it. And no, uninstalling spotify from my phone is like shooting the dog when it didn’t understood a command.

Same problem here. Can’t believe this is already a one-year-old thread about a very severe bug, and nothing has happened. I don’t really care at all if it’s a fault by Spotify or Sonos. This just has to be fixed.

Happened to me first time today, had play bar for 4 years with no problems at all, great bit of kit. But…..today played Sonos bar through Spotify, worked fine, and been totally fine all day and afternoon. Then tonight all of a sudden whilst watching tv the volume shoots up to 100% (bolero on Dancing On Ice and now the neighbours know we watch it, zero for our reputation) So annoying. Have reset bar, uninstalled and reinstalled sonos s2 and Spotify, reset router, unplugged and replugged everything….still does it but only when I plug the optical wire in from tv, volume shoots up and white dot is on permanently like someone has their finger on the volume up button on tv remote, which they don’t! Sent diagnostic 205815941 and will give it another go in the morning. Amazing to watch the slider go up by itself on the app, but sooooo frustrating to search for help and see that this issue has been going for a year and there is no clear fix from Sonos….help appreciated. 

I am having this problem.  Ridiculous that it has not been fixed yet.  Please do something Sonos!  This is a health hazard. 

I can reproduce this on my iPhone when I have the Spotify and Sonos app open at the same time. I usually drive music in the Spotify app and use the Sonos app to adjust volume, because there is finer control. I actually stopped listening to music for a while because of this. 

Same happened twice in the last 5 days, after having the 5.1 system for 2 years. 

Sent diagnostics: 80790366

How can it be that this problem exist for several years?!? 

Same for TV and music volume level difference.

I am seriously considering selling all and switching to Denon.

Help urgently needed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All

I recommend anyone with this issue get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to determine where the volume commands are coming from.