Volume Randomly Increasing to Max

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a Sonos 5.1 setup consisting of a beam, sonos one x2, and sub. Recently when listening to Spotify on my iPhone XS (the only controller I have active in my household), the volume on the system raises to max volume when going to change the volume in the sonos app, or from the lock screen. I have only had the system for a few weeks and it seems to only do this when Spotify is active, not Pandora or while using the TV. Currently my system is on version 10.1.2, and my iPhone controller states the version is also 10.1.2. My system is currently connected via wireless, and not through Sonosnet.

I have seen in other forums that the work around is to disable hardware volume control and lock screen controls in the Sonos settings in the native iPhone settings app. But my question is, has this issue been permanently addressed yet in a sonos update/will it be in the future? Or does this have to do with possibly having a faulty system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Badge

Oh, that’s interesting! I use the laptop most of the time to control Spotify, but yes, their Android widget randomly crashes and restarts. No idea whether it’s equally bad on an iPhone.

Hi Bjørn

Thanks for the reply.

It does look like the Spotify widget but it's not on my home screen. I swipe down for various android settings and it's below that

I’m going to switch off my phone for a while and only use the laptop, then report back :)

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

Badge

I’m going to switch off my phone for a while and only use the laptop, then report back :)

Good idea! That might be equivalent to me using my old controller that sonos used to sell.

If I use it to restart streaming from a Spotify playlist then I have no problem, unless I subsequently go to my phone.

If/when that widgety thing starts on my phone then the volume will go maximum eventually, even without starting the Spotify app

Badge

Diagnostics

23rd October 2019 48662544

28th October 2029 1434685313

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s a new Spotify app for Android available today, version 8.5.32.889, which should resolve this issue for people who have trouble with the volume ramping up when using Spotify direct control. If you’ve been having this issue, please make sure to update your Spotify app and test it out.

If it’s still giving you trouble, let us know!

Badge

Thanks Ryan,

That update was 4 days ago but Spotify hadn't updated. I've got 8.5.32.889 now and I'm getting more optimistic it's a fix. The "widgety thing" is up, but the volume hasn't maxed out (yet).

Thanks for the support here.

There have been Spotify/Sonos problems mentioned on here for several years. Is this the first fix?

I've ONLY suffered for, I guess, 6 weeks. Would it be churlish to suggest it's taken a ridiculous amount of time for Spotify to get their act together?

(Maybe there have been different problems)

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

Badge

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

Hi Podra,

It would be interesting to know if you have the latest version of Spotify. Version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed it for us on Android, but I need to do more testing. We were out all day Christmas shopping, but it was fine this morning.

If it's fixed we might think of another Sonos purchase to celebrate! We have really old stuff

Hi Podra,

It would be interesting to know if you have the latest version of Spotify. Version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed it for us on Android, but I need to do more testing. We were out all day Christmas shopping, but it was fine this morning.

If it's fixed we might think of another Sonos purchase to celebrate! We have really old stuff

Hi I have really old gen1 Sonos kit too. My partner have the latest version of Android Spotify 8.5.32.889 …. but I was using my iPhone when I experienced the MAX VOLUME problem -   Its on version 8.5.31.989 - that seems to be the latest available for iPhone, but perhaps there’s another version in the pipeline. Good luck with the shopping!

Badge

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

Badge

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

I posted these a couple of times but it's no longer immediately obvious to me how to contact them (I have in the past).

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure Android is fixed, for me at least. From your experience, it seems Spotify still have to fix iPhone.

This ought to be a big deal for both Spotify and Sonos if they are losing sales

For me the update for Spotify didn’t fix the bug!

Playing with the Sonos app doesnt give a problem. But when I play music from the Spotify app on my Samsung S8 (even after the laste update (Version 8.5.32.889, Netherlands, Europe) the volume goes suddently MAX!

Im curious if I am the only one.

I posted these a couple of times but it's no longer immediately obvious to me how to contact them (I have in the past).

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure Android is fixed, for me at least. From your experience, it seems Spotify still have to fix iPhone.

I agree - its fairly easy to contact Sonos using the app, then settings , then help … eventually you get to an email / twitter / messenger page. I used https://support.sonos.com/s/education?language=en_US

Badge

Playing with the Sonos app doesnt give a problem. But when I play music from the Spotify app on my Samsung S8 (even after the laste update (Version 8.5.32.889, Netherlands, Europe) the volume goes suddently MAX!

If it’s not fixed for everyone then it's not fixed. I have an old Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1

Badge

I agree - its fairly easy to contact Sonos using the app, then settings , then help … eventually you get to an email / twitter / messenger page. I used https://support.sonos.com/s/education?language=en_US

Thank you podra. It could be that twitter and messenger put me off (I forget). I'll follow this up if the problem comes back

If it’s not fixed for everyone then it's not fixed. I have an old Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1

Try contacting Sonos and sending them a Diagnostic [only works if you haven’t turned your speakers off].

The update seems to have fixed THIS problem.

Spotify Connect now doesn’t sync what’s being played with the Sonos app like it did before, Spotify on my phone keeps crashing (music stops playing), I keep getting the message “this song can’t be played right now” when I am playing a Spotify playlist using the Sonos controller app on the Mac, but otherwise all is fine ;)

One day Spotify will redirect their engineers from “add lyrics in real time” to “fix the countless bugs” and we will all be shocked.

I Got the following response from Sonos today:
Thanks for reaching out to Sonos Support, my name is Xander. I know you want to get back to enjoying your Sonos as soon as possible, so let's get this resolved for you. 
Glad to hear the issue hasn't repeated. We have been in touch with Spotify regarding this. There is an update for the Spotify app on Android devices which should fix the issue. Regarding iOS devices, we have reported the issue to Spotify and are working on addressing the issue.
Xander P

Sonos | Customer Care | Contact Us

Hi All… Just adding my $0.02 … 

I am experiencing this issue as well and I would suggest it is NOT a Spotify app problem. I only use the Sonos Spotify internal service and it happens with this as well. There I conclude that this is an internal Sonos problem. 

It needs to be fixed as I suspect this issue may damage speakers or electronics. If a Sonos bug caused this issue, I would expect Sonos to have the repair liability even if the product is out of warranty!

I encountered this issue after using Spotify (MacOS) to play out to Sonos One with Airplay 2. Sonos One spontaneously increased volume after it had been set to a low level.  Shut down Spotify and then started to listen using Sonos iPad app. I seem to have stopped it by changing MacOS output back to “Internal speakers” even ‘though the playback had been started directly from Sonos iPad app from music in my iTunes local source.

I have been experiencing this for the last couple of months on my Play5 Gen 2, and not on my Play3, Play1 or Connect….and I don’t use Spotify.

I’m having same issue with Amazon music and Apple Music. I was in the shower and it went to max volume. Poor pups had to hide under the bed. 

I am having the same issue using Tidal.  I think that this is a Sonos problem.