Answered

Volume on SONOS Connect suddenly very low

• 12 December 2021
  • 5 replies

My CONNECT (Gen 1) had been working fine for many years. About a month ago I moved it to a different part of the house and connected it to a different receiver. It worked fine up until yesterday when the volume, though on maximum on both the receiver and the SONOS S1 app, was very very low.  A little more than a whisper. All other inputs on the receiver are working fine. I even tried to connect my SONOS Connect to different inputs but still the same problem. I am at loss as I have had this unit for 6+ years without a hitch.

Volume limit is OFF in the app. The problem happens whether the Line-Out level is Variable, FIxed or Pass-Through. Problem also exists though many services like Spotify, Apple Music, SONOS Radio

Any suggestions? 

icon

Best answer by buzz 13 December 2021, 02:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

We cannot rule out hardware failure.

Always re-check your steps in order to rule out something silly (been there, done that … surprise!)

I recommend submitting a diagnostic and contacting SONOS support.

Tried calling support. Other than asking you to unplug and replug, take cabes out and out them back in, they were pretty useless even with a diagnostic. There are many threads with a similar volume problem and none of them has a satisfying answer. Very puzzling.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am reposting this reply from an analogous issue with the Connect:

I haven't been able to play my Connect for at least a year with low volume, drop outs, and inability to group the Connect with my other Sonos players. Someone suggested bypassing the analog RCA outputs, and so I  did. SUCCESS!!A Digital to Analog converter (from Amazon or other online store) using the Optical output of the Sonos Connect plugged into the optical input of the DA converter, and then the RCA wires plugged into the analog outputs of the DA converter.Hope this works for all out there with a faulty Sonos1 Connect analog output.  No issues  with volume, variable setting, or grouping any longer. 

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Use an optical cable with a digital to analog converter. You can find one for $15 on Amazon. It’s a bummer still not knowing why the analog audio was suddenly not working after years of it working just fine. Recommend this solution to anyone facing this weird problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm glad you were able to find the workaround for the faulty analog outputs of the Connect. Other than numerous hardware failures out there in the ownership of these devices, it is very suspicious that the failures have been reported after the "vintage" products were separated from the next generation products with software updates.