Answered

Volume lag after AMP installed

• 15 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello all. I recently installed a Sonos AMP for some outdoor speakers and noticed that now, no matter if I am listening to those or my Playbar/sub/Play 1’s for my tv there is a lag in volume control. It happens if I am using the slider or the volume buttons on the side of my iPhone. Is this something normal that everyone experiences or are there adjustments that are needed somewhere?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 June 2018, 04:53

Wow, caps lock. Glad a backspace took away that, I didn't want to seem like I was yelling at you :)

In my experience, an input lag generally indicates that there's a problem with the wifi signal getting through. I'd definitely take a look at the wifi interference FAQ, but I'm actually wondering if there's a chance that your phone and the new CONNECT:AMP are sharing the same IP address, and it's the bouncing between the two that's causing a slight delay that you're experiencing.

I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

If you're interested in doing some testing on your own first, I'd recommend that you unplug from power all your Sonos devices. Then reboot your router. Finally, starting with the Sonos device that's plugged in to your router, power it back up. Wait until that one is powered up before moving on to the next Sonos device, and plug it in. Repeat for as many Sonos devices that you have.

That would be the quick and dirty way of resetting the DHCP reservations in your router. Not 100%, but pretty much all your Sonos devices should get new IP addresses that way. If you wanted to do a similar thing in a more permanent manner, you could set up reserved IP addresses in your router's reservation table, but that tends to require figuring out how to do that with whichever router you have, sometimes an extra step.

Good luck!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Wow, caps lock. Glad a backspace took away that, I didn't want to seem like I was yelling at you :)

In my experience, an input lag generally indicates that there's a problem with the wifi signal getting through. I'd definitely take a look at the wifi interference FAQ, but I'm actually wondering if there's a chance that your phone and the new CONNECT:AMP are sharing the same IP address, and it's the bouncing between the two that's causing a slight delay that you're experiencing.

I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

If you're interested in doing some testing on your own first, I'd recommend that you unplug from power all your Sonos devices. Then reboot your router. Finally, starting with the Sonos device that's plugged in to your router, power it back up. Wait until that one is powered up before moving on to the next Sonos device, and plug it in. Repeat for as many Sonos devices that you have.

That would be the quick and dirty way of resetting the DHCP reservations in your router. Not 100%, but pretty much all your Sonos devices should get new IP addresses that way. If you wanted to do a similar thing in a more permanent manner, you could set up reserved IP addresses in your router's reservation table, but that tends to require figuring out how to do that with whichever router you have, sometimes an extra step.

Good luck!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thank you Airgetlam for pointing out the obvious! My phone was on my 5GHz network and as soon as I switched to the 2.4 the issue instantly resolved. Please let me know where I should send the check for your services 😛
Thanks again!
Laugh! Not sure I even went to the 5Ghz thing, maybe it’s in the FAQ? In any case, I’m just here to help people enjoy music, no payment is necessary 😉