volume in sonos app unable to be controlled by iPhone side buttons

• 1 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi all, anybody experienced similar issues? After the recent update by Sonos, the side button of iPhone is unable to control the volume bar in Sonos app. I had to manually drag to the desired volume. 

4 replies

Do you have the app active when you’re using the volume buttons? One of the more recent changes in iOS has caused those buttons to work on only the active (front) app, whereas it used to work on the app that was using the sound aspect of iOS. An unfortunate change by Apple, IMHO, but I’ve learned just to keep the Sonos app open, and then I can use them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

One of the more recent changes in iOS has caused those buttons to work on only the active (front) app, whereas it used to work on the app that was using the sound aspect of iOS. An unfortunate change by Apple, IMHO

And yet Spotify makes it work, when using Spotify Connect to play to Sonos.

In this mode, just as with the Sonos app, Spotify is being used as a remote control for the Sonos speaker, and the music is being streamed directly from Spotify by the speaker. So, it is possible in iOS.

Do you have the app active when you’re using the volume buttons? One of the more recent changes in iOS has caused those buttons to work on only the active (front) app, whereas it used to work on the app that was using the sound aspect of iOS. An unfortunate change by Apple, IMHO, but I’ve learned just to keep the Sonos app open, and then I can use them. 

No I do not have the app active. Previously it worked even when the app wasn’t the active one. Guess I’ll leave it active then. Would be good if the app doesn’t need to remain open though. Maybe Sonos can consider looking into that. Much appreciated!

Yea, I’m mildly frustrated too. I think the change came with the most recent update to iOS, but now I can no longer change the Sonos volume when playing a game on my iPad. I have to switch from the game to the controller before those buttons will work. And once I’ve had to switch, it’s just as easy to use the sliders.