Answered

Volume Control whilst Streaming Telstra TV through a Roku

• 8 October 2017
  • 5 replies

I recently got a Playbar & Sub - spot on. We have it hooked up via the optic cable to our Samsung 4K TV, so now awesome sound to go with awesome pictures. Samsung Universal remote controls the volume all good
BUT the wife streams all her TV through a Telstra TV Roku box (hooked up to the TV via HDMI) and what ever I do we can't control the volume with the Samsung Universal remote.
You press the volume button & the ;Audio Out' symbol comes up on the screen but the volume on the Playbar doesn't change - as I said it works fine on normal TV (the Roku remotes don't have a volume control button at all)
She has to manually adjust the volume on the Playbar or unlock her phone and use the Sonos app - she's not happy............ any idea how I can resolve it ?
icon

Best answer by Jon1965 31 January 2018, 08:08

for anyone interested - the SONOS technology doesn't allow this to work - different protocols - my fix was to buy a replacement Samsung remote (using IR) for $59 from Harvey Norman and reset the remote in the SONOS Playbar settings - all good working fine - you could probably use a universal remote which may save you a couple $'s but this one works straight out of the pack - just add batteries
ps the standard volume control of the SONOS Playbar still works fine on normal TV using the Samsung bluetooth remote
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Jon1965. Thanks for posting to the Community. I am happy to help dig a little deeper into this.

From the sounds of it, the TV is still receiving a signal from the remote directly. Would you mind telling us a little more about the model of your TV? Does your TV remote look like the one in this link? If so, follow the outlined steps to make sure the remote is only sending Infrared (IR) frequencies rather than connecting to the TV via radio frequencies (RF) or Bluetooth.

Let me know if you find this helpful.
Hi Keith - the TV is a Samsung UA65JU7000W/. It doesn't use the Samsung One Remote, it uses the Samsung Smart Controller as per this link to a review https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjgISd36DXAhXMppQKHYLWCCUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fau%2Fproducts%2Fsamsung-un85ju7100f%2Freview%2F&psig=AOvVaw0GLdV9-fkNTS_BSfKK0-xo&ust=1509741395867903
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks, Jon1965. When setting up the PLAYBAR to work with your TV, did you run into any problems during the remote control setup? Just to verify, does the remote control TV content fine, just not content form the Roku?
Hi Keith, no set up was dead simple and everything just worked. On source 'TV' everything is virtually perfect (the TV displays a symbol & 'Audio Out' instead of the numerical volume level), but as soon as I set the source to an HDMI or AV input when you attempt to adjust volume the symbol & 'Audio Out' is displayed but the volume does not change.
Its probably a Bluetooth signal which is the issue, but why it should work sometimes and not others has got me beat
for anyone interested - the SONOS technology doesn't allow this to work - different protocols - my fix was to buy a replacement Samsung remote (using IR) for $59 from Harvey Norman and reset the remote in the SONOS Playbar settings - all good working fine - you could probably use a universal remote which may save you a couple $'s but this one works straight out of the pack - just add batteries
ps the standard volume control of the SONOS Playbar still works fine on normal TV using the Samsung bluetooth remote