Question

Vodafone Connect Router problems

• 15 January 2016
  • 36 replies

We are having problems with Sonos controllers not able to connect to Sonos devices after moving between two different Wifi APs on the same network, and it seems to e related to the Vodafone Connect router Wifi/wired interface - has anyone else had problems with this fairly new device?

Our setup is: 1 x Connect AMP, 2 x Connects, 1 x Play3, 1 x Playbar with Sub and 2 x Play3 rears all connected via Sonosnet, though one Connect is wired into the Connect AMP due to distance.

We have a fairly new Vodafone Connect Router (ADB 963168_ADBVOX25) with onboard Wifi, a Netgear GS108v4 switch which has all wired devices connected to it and then into the router, and a Draytek VigorAP 900 wireless AP connected in to the Netgear switch. The Vodafone Connect Wifi and the Vigor AP Wifi have the same SSID and password, and all devices connect okay to both and can see all other devices on the network.

The problem occurs after a controller has been on the Vigor AP and then moves back to the Vodafone Connect Wifi - the controller then cannot re-connect to any Sonos devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello, we noticed you are already working with our Technical Support Team under reference: 160115-001423.
Yes, that's correct - at the moment we think it may be an issue with the new Vodafone Connect router, and we're hoping the planned firmware release in February may resolve it:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Announcements/Vodafone-Broadband/m-p/2456133#M175

I'd be interested to know if anyone else with this router has the same problem (or doesn't) to confirm that this is the cause.
Just found this post, after many hours having issues with Spotify not playing via Sonos (works fine independently). I've also got Vodafone Broadband and hoped the firmware update would fix things - including not having to use a switch, but connect everything (including the Sonos bridge) into the router - sadly this isn't the case. I had to reinstate the switch when I tried directly. Endless unable to play errors and sonos controller loosing visibility of the sonos system...
What firmware version is your Vodafone router running? The Vodafone upgrade didn't happen in February as they'd planned, so it may be you don't have the new firmware with the fix.
The interface changed considerably in look/feel a couple of weeks ago, so I assumed it had updated to the version that has been discussed on various forums. mine is now at version 5.4.8.1.271.1.59.
Yes, that is the new version - looks like it hasn't fixed the problem then.
I have just moved from a BT router to Vodafone and I now have the same problem with the Vodafone wifi connection, my other WAP is fine. Is there any sign of a fix?
I've introduced a bridge connected directly to my Vodafone router and it has worked fine for 2-3 weeks, now it won't connect again. Restarting the router/everything - not sure if this is still a Vodafone router issue or not now (driving me crazy!) - interesting that you've had a similar experience since your switch Andy. Are you running the latest software as well?
There are no signs of a proper fix that I'm aware of, but this thread has a collection of disgruntled Vodafone customers that miht be worth adding your voices to:
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Vodafone-Home-Broadband-Vodafone-Connect/m-p/2522135#M22560

Someone on the thread claims that Vf third line tech support are aware of and working on the problem ..
Glad I saw this thread. After many years with BT I was about to sign with Vodafone for home broadband. The drive is cost....BT package is 66 a month and Vodafone is less than half. But if VF screws up Sonos I'll have to think again. I expect there are alternative ISP's that will allow me to use a third party router. For that, I need to be sure the ISP will provide the username and password. That is an easy question to ask the ISP; but, can anyone suggest a router that definitely works with Sonos? The saving of 40 pounds a month from leaving BT will easily fund the purchase. Any comments apreciated.
I have put in Apple Airport Express wifi points and turned off the Vodafone router wifi and all is back and working.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, we're nearly into 2017 and I have this issue. I recently changed over to vodafone and everything seemed to work ok for the first couple of weeks, after which our phones (android) regularly won't connect. The music plays ok from the radio or my nas from my pc desktop controller or the cr200. On a separate issue I can't get my Canon printer to connect and I've spent God knows how many hours trying to sort it out. Seems that Vodafone haven't tackled the issue
Badge
Hi, just changed to Vodafone broadband and getting the same issues. All was fine at first and now I'm getting can't connect to Sonos! Anyone ever manage to fix this??
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes this is still happening. Everything was perfect with my previous provider but now I can't have my play 1s set up as surrounds as they keep losing their IP and therefore making the entire system drop so the app can't see it. Frustratingly after 5 different conversations over a week and having to go over the same issues every time, Sonos support have said they don't support the Vodafone connect router. Probably going to send the Beam back as I can't get a different router from Vodafone.
No sign of the Vodafone Connect Router on the hardware incompatibility list?

Sonos and Incompatible Hardware

Has anyone tried running their devices over SonosNet in Boost Mode? I’m wondering if that would resolve the problem. See below link...

Switching a Sonos Household between Standard & BOOST mode & vice versa
Some routers have problems with the IP requests from home theatre satellites when in WiFi/Standard mode. Basically their DHCP server isn't implemented correctly. (BT had to roll out a fix for the Hub6/SmartHub.)

Options are (a) to wire a Sonos component and run in SonosNet/Boost mode, (b) to front the ISP-supplied router with a second router.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos support exact words "The surrounds configuration we don't believe to work with that router"
Badge
I'd left the router on auto channel select and it had chosen the same channel as my Sonos. (Running Sonosnet using a boost) so changed it to manual and made sure the Sonos channel and router channels were as far apart as possible. All has been fine since, in fact better now than my previous technicolour router. Used to get rooms dropping out all the time but never get this now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd left the router on auto channel select and it had chosen the same channel as my Sonos. (Running Sonosnet using a boost) so changed it to manual and made sure the Sonos channel and router channels were as far apart as possible. All has been fine since, in fact better now than my previous technicolour router. Used to get rooms dropping out all the time but never get this now.

Do you now have surrounds working?
If the surrounds turn out not to be working because of the reasons stated above by Ratty, then at least see if adding their IP addresses to the routers DHCP Reservation table may possibly help that issue.

If not, then his other suggestion to plug your own router into the 'Vodafone Connect' (reducing it to modem mode only) seems the way to go, at least until a firmware update has fixed the issue, or Vodafone improve their supplied hardware.

Those without 'bonded' surround speakers, sound like things will be fine running their sonos systems in SonosNet/Boost Mode, with one Sonos device cabled to the Vodafone router, but be sure to then go onto do two things:

1. Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App Advanced Settings to a different channel than the one in use on your Vodafone router... set it at least 5 channels apart. So if your router is on WiFi channel 6, for example, then set SonosNet to either channel 1 or 11.

2. Once the Sonos system is up and running in SonosNet/Boost Mode, you should see that each device in the 'About my Sonos System' section in the App will have WM: 0 next to each device in the list. If that’s the case, it’s usually best to remove/reset your WiFi credentials from 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' in the Sonos App... these credentials are not required when all your devices are running on the SonosNet WiFi signal, this will prevent your speakers switching back and forth between the SonosNet signal and the routers WiFi signal, which can happen in some certain circumstances. Resetting/removing the wifi credentials will help to keep connection stability.
If the surrounds turn out not to be working because of the reasons stated above by Ratty, then at least see if adding their IP addresses to the routers DHCP Reservation table may possibly help that issue.
It wouldn't. Assuming it's the same problem the BT Hub had, the router is mistaking the origin of the satellite's DHCP request because it's coming via the Beam.
It sounds like the If the surrounds turn out not to be working because of the reasons stated above by Ratty, then at least see if adding their IP addresses to the routers DHCP Reservation table may possibly help that issue.
It wouldn't. Assuming it's the same problem the BT Hub had, the router is mistaking the origin of the satellite's DHCP request because it's coming via the Beam.

So a temporary measure may have to be to 'unbond' them, 'pair' them and 'group' them, for now perhaps, until the matter is resolved with an update, or new hardware.
Grouping them with the Beam won't be satisfactory. They'd be out of sync for the all-important TV audio, and sound horrible.

For the time being the Sonos system needs to be put into SonosNet mode by wiring a component.
Userlevel 1
Badge
so to be clear. If I wire the Beam into the router and put it into SonosNet mode this will negate the surrounds IP issue?
Oddly, or maybe just lucky perhaps, but my Beam with two bonded Play:1’s will also 'group' well with both my nearby Lounge and Hallway Sonos speakers to play both TV audio (or music) in what we believe is perfect sync ... not an echo in 'sight' ... not sure that’s the correct terminology to use here. ?

I might just be lucky though, I guess... but my wife agrees, it all sounds in sync to us and the Hallway is off the dining room and the lounge next door off the hallway and I am referring to the TV audio here and not music.

It says in the Sonos Beam manual that users can do this, but will not get Surround sound... it seems to work fine in my case, so I would still give it a go and see if it works in sync for you. If not, then obviously just use the Beam standalone.

I’m not saying Sonos are guaranteeing things will sync with TV audio by the way, but it is worth perhaps giving it a go to see if it does.