Question

Virgin Media and TuneIn Playback Issue

• 23 December 2016
  • 38 replies

My household enjoys having the radio played all day. However, this has been an issue for some time with Sonos and Tunein. I have reset everything Sonos and checked my broadband and wifi. Was working fine for a while and then back to "unable to play .......". What is the permanent fix as I cannot simply go resetting Sonos and starting a fresh just to get 1 hour of radio before it cuts out again ? I have zero issues with other devices on wifi. What is the fix Sonos ? This is very frustrating. Something has changed as it used to be perfect and most enjoyable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Having the same problem here with BBC 6 Music on TuneIn. I'm also a Virgin Media customer.
Badge +1
Same here, everything except tunein seems fine, virgin media also:(
Badge
Really fed up with broken, intermittent, interrupted feed from BBC Radio stations using a SONOS 1. When will this be fixed SONOS? Have sent in diagnostics number 7003280 today. I wouldn't have bought this player had I known things were so bad.:@
Userlevel 3
Badge
@brucebantam, if you use the MP3 streams it'll work fine.

I know it's slightly annoying but at least there's a workaround.

Has anyone tried a manually added station yet? Yes, you get a "encoding" error, I tried with BBC 6 Music. :(

Use this stream for BBC 6 Music and you won't have any issues: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbc6music.pls

And for anyone wanting any other mp3 stream look here: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp
So far so good with my system, all radio stations are working fine. Not sure why it dropped over Christmas.
Badge
Hi Johnnie

Thanks for the reply. I've copied in a few links from radiofeeds, and I'll test them out tonight. I usually listen late. What puzzles me is if these links work why hasn't SONOS used those instead of the ones in their app?

Cheers!
Bruce
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Johnnie

Thanks for the reply. I've copied in a few links from radiofeeds, and I'll test them out tonight. I usually listen late. What puzzles me is if these links work why hasn't SONOS used those instead of the ones in their app?

Cheers!
Bruce

I believe it's because Sonos/tunein moved to using the higher quality HLS streams.

Having said that I don't think most people would notice any difference in quality, and the constant dropping out is so annoying I'd prefer a reliable stream over slightly better quality anytime.

The only real difference is that I no longer get the nice radio station icon as I did before.
Badge
Hi Johnnie

Cheers!
Bruce

I believe it's because Sonos/tunein moved to using the higher quality HLS streams.

Having said that I don't think most people would notice any difference in quality, and the constant dropping out is so annoying I'd prefer a reliable stream over slightly better quality anytime.

The only real difference is that I no longer get the nice radio station icon as I did before.

Thanks again Johnnie!
As you say, rather have decent reception than nice icons.
Bruce 😃
I'm having the same problem BBC Radio 2 is very unstable in the morning when we try to listen. Some times it's OK but has been very bad for the last couple of days. We are on Talk Talk NOT Virgin Media.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has anyone tried a manually added station yet?

Yes, it seems to work fine so far, so thanks for that.

Incidentally, I've constantly had audio drop-outs with TuneIn Radio like many others here but, unlike most of the others, I'm with PlusNet, not Virgin.
Hi.
First time posting here.....
Thank you all for all your help and suggestions on these forums - it's been a massive help.

I've been having BBC Radio dropouts lately and it's massively frustrating.

It's only BBC streams - everything else works fine - and I too am on Virgin Media. I have got round the issue temporarily by using the MP3 streams - thanks Johnny Walker - but I'd love to understand the reason why the HQ streams don't work. I sent a diagnostic report after the last round of dropouts - 7283506 - Sonos team, is there a chance of getting deeper integration directly from BBC?

As I'm sure others have established, using the iPlayer Radio app and AirPlaying to an Airport express plugged into a Play 5 line in works perfectly well but totally removes the benefits of using radio streams directly in the Sonos app.

When I have a bit more time I'll have a crack at a personal hotspot setup to see if it's definitely Virgin Media related in our household.

Thanks again,

Howie303
I am a Virgin Media customer and today we have started to experience intermittent drop outs whilst listening to BBC radio stations - tested with R1 and R6. Streams from Mixcloud and other radio stations are fine.
Just to add my experience with this issue. Like many of the others on this thread I'm with Virgin Media, and listen to BBC Radio 2. I've had no issues since getting my Sonos a couple of years ago, until a couple of weeks ago. My internet dropped out for a brief period, and when it came back I had been assigned a new external IP address.

Now in my experience this is quite rare with Virgin Media, as you tend to keep the same IP address for months at a time. But since this change, I've started experiencing the drop-outs, especially after about 7am. So I suspect that when my IP address changed something along the way was changed in how my broadband is delivered. What, I have no idea.

I'm now using one of the manual feeds and all seems fine with that so far.