Answered

Very quiet Play One using vinyl

• 20 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help ?

I have a pair of Play One’s (gen2) and an old zp80 connect hooked up to a (budget) pre-amped audio technical turntable. I have set up the system using S1 due to the age of the connect, paired the One’s as a stereo pair and they are fine when playing any digital music.

BUT only one speaker can be heard when playing vinyl, the other one is very quiet ?

I am by no means an expert but I was hoping that vinyl would work on both speakers without too much fuss, the Sonos kit is brilliant but I can’t afford to shell out hundreds of pounds just for an occasional vinyl session.

Any help would be very much appreciated 

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 20 March 2021, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It might be obvious, but have you checked all connectors - cartridge, turntable to ZP80?

What happens if you switch left and right connections into the ZP80?

Hi

All connections seem fine, if I swap around the phono leads, it’s the same

The connect is fairly basic, just the 1 phono input but all looks good, it was second hand though

Via Spotify etc, it’s perfect but with vinyl it’s still quieter on one side

Just re-installed everything again from scratch, still the same 🤔

Just a thought, is it possible that the turntable is faulty, only putting out audio on one channel ?

I am a complete novice, the deck arrived assembled and I don’t have access to any other speakers or amps for testing

Do a loopback test. Wire the ZP80 analog outputs to its analog inputs. Play something on the ZP80 other than Line-In (e.g. Spotify). Tell the Ones to play the ZP80’s Line-In. 

Just a thought, is it possible that the turntable is faulty, only putting out audio on one channel ?

If so, the fault would swap sides when switching the TT connections left-to-right. You did do this as suggested? 

Hi

Not tried yet, will need to locate some leads, should have some somewhere 

Thanks for advice

You don't need extra leads to swap the input cables left-to-right and see if the problem also switches sides. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You don't need extra leads to swap the input cables left-to-right and see if the problem also switches sides. 

Beat me to it!

Swapped the leads around but made no difference, gotta be honest, I’m confused as to carrying out the loop back test mentioned earlier.