Answered

Using boost for dropping speakers

• 18 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello. I’m an extreme end user and cannot find my specific answer here. Thanks for your help!

I just got a Sonos Boost in hopes to solve my issue of dropping speakers. While listening to music using a couple of my Sonos devices, atleast one speaker drops out and returns every time. It happens over and over again. I have an Orbi with 2 satellites and each Sonos device would go to whichever satellite it liked even when it wasn’t the best connection. So the Boost was hopefully fixing that.

I connected the Boost to my Orbi router (main device) and after a few minutes, all Sonos devices automatically connected to the Orbi router (main device) and not a satellite. All showed as a wired connection to the main unit which I assume is because they are going through the Boost which is in fact wired. 

Unfortunately, after 30 minutes or so, the speakers started to drop out again. I thought maybe I had the Boost too far away. It is upstairs where my router comes into the house. All Sonos devices are downstairs. I unplugged the Boost and brought it downstairs. The boost then disappeared from the Sonos App and could not be recognized. Did this happen because some type of Sonos device needs to be plugged into the router? I read that the Boost didn’t need to but I didn’t see if something else had to be. 

I can add the Boost back to the router if some type of Sonos device needs to be plugged in. It will then show up as a device on the app but what could then be causing the drops?

Not sure if it’s related but I also have issues using Spotify (says song cannot be added to queue), Amazon Music (Cannot connect to Amazon Music) and Pandora (can’t recall the error message). It never has issues connecting to KERA for example. 

Thanks so much for your help!!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 June 2021, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Yes, in order for the BOOST to serve any purpose at all, one or more Sonos device(a) must be wired to the base router. The BOOST is  a SonosNet node, not a WiFi repeater. 

But a BOOST is not a silver bullet device. If you’re experiencing wifi interference , the BOOST is unlikely to fix that. 

Thank you Airgetlam! I went ahead and connected the BOOST to the router and all Sonos devices are now together connected to the Main Orbi unit, The Sonos speakers which drop (that I notice) are 2 that are in the same room and are close-ish to the router and the BOOST. Can’t be in a better place.

I was thinking that they were dropping because they would switch around to different satellites when one offered a better connection, but that isn’t the issue since now they all stay static. 

Changed the Sonos channel and moved the cable box away from where Sonos connects via ethernet. Can’t think of what else could be causing the interference. If anyone knows of common culprits, I would love to hear them. I have Alexa’s everywhere but the closest is 20 feet away. 

It sounds like your almost there. My guess is now some sort of continued wifi interference with those two speakers, but your best bet now is to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thank you so much for the tip. I didn’t know they could look at the diagnostic report. Thought it was for them to know what is happening to users. 

They aren’t open on weekends so I will need to wait on that but in the meantime, I connected it with a LAN cable to the router and it’s still cutting out. So not a wifi issue right? I’ll update here once I can speak with SONOS. I think there are more than a few others with a very similar problem. 

With Spotify, yes. Spotify appears to be having issues, from what I can tell, with their streaming server(s). But I’ve not noticed issues with other streams being posted in this forum.

This would be why I am recommending the diagnostic and the phone call. There would likely be some sort of information that they can look at to see what happens to be going on with your particular situation. 

And no, connecting it with an Ethernet cable only rules out many, but not all potential issues.