Answered

Using Bluetooth Headphones with Sonos Beam-Equipped Samsung TV

• 15 May 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi!

Previous threads here on this topic are closed so i open a new one.

I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2. Its nice but I am shocked i cannot use any headphones any more?

If my Samsung TV is in HDMI ARC mode, it will not let me connect any headphones. This mode is normally for HDMI A/V Receivers, so you can connect your headphones there. But the SONOS Beam has no option to connect headphones.. So thats it? SONOS must have thought of this no? People might want to use the beam but also sometimes headphones? Or is this a kind of apple thing, you are using it wrong? The beam is so awesome, you shouldn't use headphones? Please explain..

Btw.. I read one advice here, to use an additional external bluetooth transmitter with the optical out of the TV, which is always active. tried this and doesnt seem to work for me. I think the transmitter requires PCM Output but the beam should get Bitstream / Dolby Digital. And i wont switch this every time i want to use headphones..

SONOS please tell me you thought of this scenario and have a solution. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 May 2022, 21:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Perhaps disable AnyNet+ (CEC) on the TV and then switch the output to use the TV’s Bluetooth connection to your headphones.. that’s how folk tend do this sort of thing.

Then enable AnyNet+ afterwards  to switch back to the connected Sonos device.

Hope that works for you. 

@Ken_Griffiths posted this solution, in much detail, in a 3yo thread which is in #1 on Google search "How do you turn off Sonos Beam 2" 👍

Turning off Sonos Beam

Definitely the right, and only so far, solution if you do not want to unplug your Sonos Beam everytime.

At least, you can do this via the remote.

Nevertheless, it is somehow peculiar that Sonos does not provide a way to turn off the bar via their app.

But then they still haven't figured out how to make an Android version of Trueplay setup :

"Just borrow an iPhone from a friend !"

🤣🥳

I returned my Beam2 for this reason. I have a Sennheiser RF headphones connected to Samsung TV.  Apparently, this problem cannot be solved. I chatted with a customer service agent. You may try yourself and see if something comes up. I would love to have Beam2.  Otherwise am thinking of going for Bose with a Bose Headphones which is simply another expenditure.

Bose will do the same thing.  Samsung TVs default to the external CEC audio device when CEC is on, and there is no ability to switch to Bluetooth unless you switch CEC off.  So the solution is to go into the TV ‘s menu, turn off CEC, and connect to Bluetooth. 

I returned my Beam2 for this reason. I have a Sennheiser RF headphones connected to Samsung TV.  Apparently, this problem cannot be solved. I chatted with a customer service agent. You may try yourself and see if something comes up. I would love to have Beam2.  Otherwise am thinking of going for Bose with a Bose Headphones which is simply another expenditure.

Perhaps disable AnyNet+ (CEC) on the TV and then switch the output to use the TV’s Bluetooth connection to your headphones.. that’s how folk tend do this sort of thing.

Then enable AnyNet+ afterwards  to switch back to the connected Sonos device.

Hope that works for you.